Amendment of Photo Challenge entry rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amendment of Photo Challenge entry rules

Arising from comments in relation to Photo Challenge No. 24, would it be a good idea to amend Millie's rules by the addition of something like the following?

<<The period of each competition shall be not less than 10 days and not more than 21 days, the actual length to be at the choice of the judge for that competition.>>

The longer period would allow for major holidays/events such as Christmas, New Year, royal weddings, etc. The average would be a fortnight, more or less at the mid-point of the scale.
    Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Re: Amendment of Photo Challenge entry rules

good idea I would be vote for that
    EOS 60d, EF50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm 3.5-5.6, EF 28-90mm 4-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS, Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 EX DC HSM
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jongoodger/

Comment

That seems an eminently sensible idea
      ef-r

Comment

+1 for 2 weeks
        Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Good Idea.

Coda
          There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Gets my vote...
            David

Comment

Sounds good. Gives the judge some latitude if you are fortunate/unfortunate to win just before going on holiday - "tailor-making" the length would prevent people getting restless if the judge was away when the current two weeks were up.
              Cheers, Chris.
              Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Sounds good to me. :o)
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Another in agreement to the suggested change

Comment

Good idea - but I think the minimum should be 2 weeks - 10 days is not long if other activities get in the way!!
                    Last edited by DianaS; 22-04-2011, 09:49.

Comment

The majority quite clearly seem to be in favour of defining the length of the competition in the rules. If that is done I believe the rules would look something like as follows.

Forum members setting a competition are requested to include a link to these rules in the post announcing the competition.

1.The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition
                      who will also judge the competition.
                      2.The period of the competition shall be 14 days and the judge will state the start and
                      finish dates.
                      3.One Picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
                      4.Please use a Canon DSLR.
                      5.Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any
                      images submitted that were taken before the competition started will be deemed
                      invalid.
                      6.Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
                      7.No Photoshop frames and borders.
                      8.Include a brief description, and title; the image must convey the theme without title
                      description.
                      9. Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
                      10.No canvassing eg “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you
                      think?”
                      11.The guest ‘judge’ will pick 1st 2nd 3rd favourite images (Please don’t PM them to
                      discuss their choices).

I wasn't a member of the forum at the time that the rules were drawn up but, reading back through the posts, I see that Millie did not want the rules to be known as Millie's Rules. Would this be the right occasion to start calling them the Photo Challenge Rules?
                      Garrett

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

I'm in agreement with the amendment. Actually, I was surprised to find it wasn't already in there.

Sometime in the distant future there'll be members wondering why the awards for winning the competitions arehe 'Millies'. ;-)
                        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Just a thought here:

Millie's original idea was to take us outside of our comfort zone and give us a taste of what many Pro photographers have to deal with. A brief and a limited time to come up with the goods - usually a couple of hours or so. Recognising that the vast majority of members here are not pro's (even though many have the skills to be), she suggested that two weeks would be the time limit.

Whilst the proposed rule change would no doubt be very convenient, it would be moving away from the original concept. Pro's who wish to extend the time frame with their clients, rarely get a second chance to work with that client.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                            Just a thought here:
                            .........she suggested that two weeks would be the time limit.Colin
                            I thought that was what I had written in my last post but perhaps I did not make it as clear as I thought.
                            Garrett

Comment

Sorry Garrett.

Sometimes I am "Brain Dead" and think I see things that weren't there.

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X