Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slimbridge questions?

Hi there,

Not sure which forum this should live in so I thought I'd try this one!

I am thinking of taking a trip to Slimbridge but never having been there before was wondering how best to organise the day?

Any info, hints, tips etc would be gratefully received such as best place(s) to go, what clothing should be worn ie. wellies for example?

Best time of day to go, where to head for, what to take gear & anything else, 300mm, 500mm, tripod, monopod, flash(?) converters, food, drink, own foldable chair etc.

What is the layout there? I mean do you share a big hide with others, is entry restricted, can you take your own hide or not worth it.

Shooting distances to birds etc. etc. in fact anything that would give me a guide as how to prepare and make the best of the day.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-

Re: Slimbridge questions?

Hi Glyn

You'll love Slimbridge.
    Clothing? Just watch the weather forecast. Jumper, jeans and a waterproof coat if it rains.
    Footwear - any walking/hiking shoes would be ideal but a pair of trainers is ok if it's dry.

The hides are shared with others, they are proper wooden hides with room for 20 people but many will be empty.
    Best time? They open at 9.30am and that (IMHO) is the best time, before the main crowds/kids arrive.
    Head for the Tropical House, some nice birds in there, go there early otherwise kids will chase the birds or get in to frame.
    Take a look to see if the otters are out, demonstration time is 11.30am so a few shots early might be good but return at 11.30 you may get them with the fish. They are most active then.

Grab a map.
    Equipment? I used the 7D (crop) with the 70-300mm L lens with great results. Anything upto 400mm is great but put a 50mm f/1.4 in your pocket for the Tropical House and other close encounters. Flash? if you have built-in that will be ok but also might be useful if the light is very bad but not necessary. Tripod? not necessary if you have IS and would be an extra burden.

Food? Excellent restarant, nice meal for under a £10.00 plus tea/coffee. You could take sandwiches, plenty of outside space and loads of benches.

The birds, mainly ducks, swans and geese are close by, you can virtually touch many of them but not recommended.
    The wading birds are near the severn river so unless you have a 1000mm lens you won't photograph them, too far away.
    Kingfisher hide? no kingfishers seen for 2 years but is still a busy hide.

I hope it helps.
    Have a great time.
    Last edited by Hereford_EOS; 01-10-2012, 23:36.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Wassup Stephen...can't you sleep either? :)

Thanks for the heads-up. Usually live in trainers but figured I wouldn't get away with them at somewhere like Slimbridge!

Have a nice pair of waterproof boots and some waterproof camo trousers made of some expensive material that I bought for trudging around a muddy target range last year but never wore them!

Don't want to weigh myself down too much but am thinking 5D/300mm and maybe 7D/500mm as I haven't shot anything with it yet. My reason for thinking about Slimbridge methinks...:)

Can't take the 50mm f/1.4 as after very little use (< 50 pictures) the bloody thing won't autofocus any more!
      Need to get it to Canon but it breaks my heart to have to pay £104 to repair something that has barely been used but is well outside warranty.

I have the 24-105mm if that might be fast enough or did you suggest the 50mm f/1.4 because of its speed?

May take the teleconverters along also as they don't take up too much room but with the 500mm & 1.4x on the 7D capable of yielding the equivalent of 1120mm f/5.6 with autofocus can I really get along without monopod/tripod at this focal length? Be great if I could...

I guess I will give the kingfisher hide a miss then? :)

Thanks & kind regards,
      -=Glyn=-

Comment

Originally posted by GlynH View Post
        Thanks for the heads-up. Usually live in trainers but figured I wouldn't get away with them at somewhere like Slimbridge!
        Slimbridge isn't all mud and grass. It has proper pathways.

Have a nice pair of waterproof boots and some waterproof camo trousers made of some expensive material that I bought for trudging around a muddy target range last year but never wore them!
        Leave those at home but watch the weather forecast. If kneeling for a low shot then maybe some cheap leggings to go over your jeans if it's damp, or a plastic carrier bag in your pocket to kneel on.

Don't want to weigh myself down too much but am thinking 5D/300mm and maybe 7D/500mm as I haven't shot anything with it yet. My reason for thinking about Slimbridge methinks...:)

I have the 24-105mm if that might be fast enough or did you suggest the 50mm f/1.4 because of its speed?

May take the teleconverters along also as they don't take up too much room but with the 500mm & 1.4x on the 7D capable of yielding the equivalent of 1120mm f/5.6 with autofocus can I really get along without monopod/tripod at this focal length? Be great if I could...

I guess I will give the kingfisher hide a miss then? :)
        All that weight including the 500mm may need some support if your hands aren't steady enough.
        Maybe a Nepalese Sherpa may be useful

Do not miss the kingfisher hide as you may be the first to see a kingfisher, but also other birds including birds of prey and red shanks in the distance.

I was thinking of the 50mm f/1.4 for speed and for the shorter focal length. The 24-105mm on the 7D (built-in flash) should be ok at the tropical house. The tropical house is only small but some nice birds in there (when you spot them) and some interesting koi carp.

You may get some good birds in flight shots at Slimbridge with the ducks, geese, swans flying in and out.

When are you thinking of going there?

flickr

Comment

Hi! Glyn

I fully endorse all what Stephen has told you. You will love Slimbridge and also the "kingfisher" perched at the entrance to the Kingfisher hide- the next best thing to the real beauty of a bird!

Enjoy youself.

P.s Forgot to mention that the only booze is beer/lager in bottles
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 02-10-2012, 10:41.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I always have a kneeling/sitting pad in my [camera] backpack ... ideal if seats are wet or you need to get down low.

I liked Slimbridge ... but it's the canal you cross with some very large barges which is my lasting memory! Oh and the very good cafe on site.

But compared with the WWT at Martin Mere which is my local WWT ... it seemed to have a lot [reality might be different!] more artificial structures ... I'm not saying that is good or bad merely that it is different.

Comment

Hi Glyn

You may want to check out the land rover trip round the estuary. It's about £5, and lasts an hour or two. You'll get to see the 'backside' of Slimbridge so to speak, but worthwhile, as you'd have a guide or two with you!

Other than that, Stephen has covered all I'd say. Great place, and you'll want to go back!

When are you going? If you want, post a note on the 'meet ups' section, if you'd like to see some members in the flesh!

Regards

Mike
              flickr
              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                When are you going? If you want, post a note on the 'meet ups' section, if you'd like to see some members in the flesh!
                What a horrible thought

flickr

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys!

Some good info there...

Thinking of a weekday visit when;

a: Kids are at school (and most parents at work!)
                  b: When it's dry & the sun is shining (2014?)

Thanks & kind regards,
                  -=Glyn=-

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys!

Some good info there...

Thinking of a weekday visit when;

a: Kids are at school (and most parents at work!)
                    b: When it's dry & the sun is shining (2014?)

Thanks & kind regards,
                    -=Glyn=-
                    My favourite time too.

flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X