RSPB reserve near Talybont (Wales)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RSPB reserve near Talybont (Wales)

Does any member know the exact location of the reserve near Talybont in Wales. I am given to understand that one can frequently see the elusive Kingfishers almost everytime one visits this reserve.

Many thanks

Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: RSPB reserve near Talybont (Wales)

It is called Ynys-hir ? If so ...

Postcode: SY20 8TA
    Grid reference: SN682961
    Nearest town: Machynlleth, Powys

Comment

Thanks MX5. Anyone keen on joining me? Would involve an overnight stay for me, certainly, but I now know a decent Guest house near the Elan Valley. Stayed there with my constant companion in Sept and Macnynlleth is not far from there. Thinking of next week.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I am given to understand that one can frequently see the elusive Kingfishers almost everytime one visits this reserve.
        but not necessarily within photographing distance - most of these sighting reports i find are posted from the point of view of "birders" who see them in the distance through their scopes. Even if the kingfishers are closer you may have to sit in a hide all day long before they appear - we were lucky at Blashford a few weeks ago in that we "only" sat in the hide for 2 hours before one perched near to us.

Good luck anyway

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan. I will have to try my luck and see what happens. I will of course ask a few of the birders who in the reserves near me and they will be in a better position to advise.

Comment

Nat

Here are the travel details:

Hope this helps

Ian
            EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Nathaniel; Would it not be better to go in the spring when the birds are nesting and continually returning to feed the young?
              There is also an Osprey centre nearby (Dyfi Osprey Project).

Aberdyfi (Aberdovey) is a good place to visit, only 10 miles from Machynlleth.
              Also wear a pink ribbon (April Jones).

If it was spring then I would most likely join you.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks Ian & Stephen. Re the Mid Wales reserve I want to make sure when the so called experts suggest is a good time to visit and see the Kingfishers. I don't mind going in the Spring as well for the other birds. I am at a loose end at the moment due to getting my bathroom and windows "upgraded" and in the rush the workmen have found Asbestos. So I have to out of the way when this is cleared. So what better is than spending some time with the birds?
                Last edited by Nathaniel; 20-10-2012, 08:58.

Comment

Just a thought (Link) only 61 miles.
                  Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                  Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                    Just a thought (Link) only 61 miles.
                    Thanks Stephen.

Comment

Ynis-Hir is where they filmed Springwatch - it's ok but requires a deal of walking and to be honest not the best place to photograph birds. Also the Dyfi Osprey project is now closed for the winter - they'll be back open in March ready for the birds return.

You're into winter stuff now and the Kingfishers frankly could be anywhere. They suffered particularly badly in the harsh winters at either end of 2010 and numbers in Wales plummeted, although are now on the way back - personally, with all the time I spend in hides of one sort or another and knowing the locations as I do, I've seen Kingfishers only half a dozen times this year. As Stephen says spring time is best especially if you know a place where they are nesting as you can guarantee seeing the birds - hopefully someone will have put up a perch or two so you stand a chance of getting the shot you want. Stephen's suggestion of Martin Mere is pretty good - once you get over the 'zoo element' of the WWT setup it's worth a visit - plenty of good winter birds to see with a large population of Whoopers you can get close to. Also worth checking out the Dee estuary - lots of waders out there though don't expect to get close - concentrate on the volume of birds not the individuals (check out p6 of this Nov issue of BBC Wildlife for an idea - and if you flick over to p8 you'll see my shot of a Great Grey Shrike earlier this year!!).

If you're set on heading down to mid-Wales worth checking out the beach at Ynyslas and the coastline through Aberystwyth (huge numbers of starlings roost on the pier in winter) - most up to date news on the Ceredigion Bird Blog, and all our stuff on the Montgomery Bird Blog. Hope this helps

Mark W

Comment

Sorry much closer to home for you (though with asbestos in the air that may not be a good thing!) try RSPB Conwy and for a rare winter visitor and really close at hand try Kinmel Bay for the Snow Bunting (up behind Asda on St Asaph Ave - should make you feel at home!!)

Comment

Many thanks Mark for your long post. Much appreciated. The weather at the moment is atrocious to say the least- damp,misty and with light drizzle which knocked me out badly yesterday (awful Sinus attack) when I went down to the Conwy reserve, which is my "back yard reserve"- easy to visit. I did get a phone call yesterday saying that they had seen two kingfishers and I quickly went there but never saw any other than Teals,Little Egrets and a Heron apart from the ducks,moorhens and similar.I am hoping to visit the Point of Ayr hide on the Dee Estuary. Walking fairly long distances is a bit difficult for me and also with my equipment. Not as fit as before

Comment

Nat - This weekend's icy blast from the north will almost certainly bring an influx of winter migrants - swans, geese, snow buntings etc, so keep an eye on Conwy.

Ian
                            EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

We're all hoping for the same thing with the change in weather around the weekend - personally am fed up of sitting in the fog/cloud, grey and dull and not due to clear until Friday. Bloody frustrating as I know there's a Great Grey Shrike on the high ground above me but being able to see no more than 20 yards up there as was the case yesterday morning isn't very productive!! Good luck on the Kingfisher search but be prepared to be frustrated! For your local latest info have a look at this blog

Comment

Working...
                              X