Whitby Goth Weekend 22nd-25th April 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitby Goth Weekend 22nd-25th April 2010

Get the dates in your diary, (24th is the Saturday), and pop along there, you won't regret it :)

It's such a camera friendly event, carnival atmosphere and the Goths are invariably more than happy to have their pictures taken.

Such a rich range of characters, costumes and opportunities.

Official website: http://wgw.topmum.co.uk/
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Re: Whitby Goth Weekend 22nd-25th April 2010

The Weekend Goth Festival was a blast, the sun shone and the Goths were out in style :)

One sour note was the behaviour of a small minority of photographers, one of the great things about the weekend, is that it's so friendly, with the Goths generally more than happy to be photographed, this year I did notice some photographers were pushing things far too far, sometimes almost manhandling the subjects to get an image, with lenses a couple of inches from the face, or pointed down cleavages, some of the subjects looked quite nervous, it certainly made me feel uncomfortable.

I sincerely hope the crass behaviour of a few stupid togs doesn't ruin it for everyone in the future.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
      I sincerely hope the crass behaviour of a few stupid togs doesn't ruin it for everyone in the future.
      Press, or "enthusiasts" Les?

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        Press, or "enthusiasts" Les?

Colin
        'Enthusiasts' Colin, it seems a few nuggets don't understand some basic etiquette when it came to shooting events such as this.

A number of other photographers I know on another forum expressed similar views, it certainly has the possibility of souring, what was until recently a good and friendly relationship between togs and Goths.

I've contacted the Whitby Goth Forum (don't ask ;) ), and suggested we agree a simple 'code of conduct' for photographers shooting WGW. They have been very constructive and positive in their response to the issue, once I get all their views, I'll circulate them for discussion (possibly here as well as other forums I use), and hopefully come up with some rules of engagement, that can be posted with any notice of a forthcoming WGW. The Goths will put it up on their forum also.

Obviously it will have no legal basis, and can't be enforced, but perhaps it may give a steer, particularly to new photographers or give experienced togs a pause for thought?

It may only be a small gesture towards reducing some of the tensions, but better than nowt :)

Comment

Whilst it may have no legal force, the subjects could collectively apply their own sanctions, by turning their backs on those photographers who are not prepared to follow a voluntary code of behaviour.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Working...
          X