Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HCT, Andover. Wed 27th?

Hi all

I'm seriously considering going to the Hawk Conservancy Trust, near Andover, on Wednesday 27th.

I've never been, but as I'm off work for the week and the weather looks like it will be clear, I thought I'd make the most of it!

Anyone else interested?

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: HCT, Andover. Wed 27th?

Sorry - have two classes on Wednesdays :)
    ef-r

Comment

I might be able to do something.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Mike I would love to but I have to finish the decorating in the bedroom

Comment

Sorry to hear that Muscat... for BOTH the decorating and not being able to come along! Good luck, and I'll buy you a coffee next time we meet!!! lol

So, lawns cut, garden furniture ordered, cars washed, windows cleaned, rubbish cleared, paperwork done = wife happy... so I think Wednesday is ON for the HCT!
          I will aim for as close to 10:00 in the coffee shop as I can make, but as I'm M25, M3, A303... anything could happen! I hope to see someone there, but don't panic if you can't, I'll still have a good day out!

Also going to Ferring (South Coast, near Brighton/Worthing) with wife, 1 daughter and my boxer dog tomorrow for a nice stroll along the front and lunch out! I'm really enjoying this whole 'week off work' thing, shame I have to go back on the 3rd!

See you. All the best, Mike
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Sorry mike...already planned a trip on the sunday....sorreeeeeeeee!

Comment

Looking even more like I can do Wednesday.

Duffy's coffee shop between 10:00 and 10:30am sounds about right.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Colin (and anyone else who can make it!)

Agreed... Wed between 10:00 - 10:30 in Duffy's!

See you there. All the best, Mike.
                flickr

Comment

Mike, have a great time and just make sure you ply Colin with copious amounts of coffee and ask him heaps of questions...

David
                  David

Comment

lol

Coffee sorted, list written and memorised!

Thanks for the tips, David!

M
                    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                      lol

Coffee sorted, list written and memorised!

Thanks for the tips, David!

M
                      MIke,

Don't forget the POPCORN. Colins loves this as he has a sweet tooth!
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Mike/Colin have a great time hope the weather holds for you both..Quick daft question having never been before will the 55-250mm is lens be man enough or will i be SHOOTING A LOST CAUSE?? also not having much experience in the panning with fastish birds IS ON OR OFF?? ..any tips will be gratefully received

Comment

Thanks for all the 'advice' guys... perhaps it would be easier if Colin just sends me his list!

I thought I was just having a day out! lol

Rusty - in short, I don't know, as I never been before either! If you're shooting fast anything, and have your IS on, if it has a mode 2, use it! I'll experiment tomorrow and hopefully post some nice shots. Obviously, if I don't post any shots, you'll know how it went!

M
                          Last edited by mikep; 26-04-2011, 18:19.
                          flickr

Comment

The weather is going to be good.

Rusty, 55 - 250mm will get you some great shots, but you will obviously be using the upper range most of the time.

I shoot with IS off.

IS limits/eliminates camera shake. That is movement caused by you, because you are using too slow a shutter speed. It does not stop movement by the subject, so there is no advantage in using IS on a moving subject, unless you are deliberately trying for an arty effect. Plus, you will be using high shutter speeds of over 1/1,000 sec to keep the flying birds sharp and those speeds are way above where IS would be of any advantage.

For panning, feet slightly apart, swivel from the waist, keep everything smooth and "follow through". Follow through is don't stop immediately you have taken the shot, keep tracking the subject as if you will take another shot ............ even if you don't. That way you won't end up with just tail feathers, the boot of a car, or the rear wheel of a motorbike .......... if you can picture what I mean.

Master class on panning at the HCT tomorrow.

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

Thanks guys will gve it a go on sunday....i feel tail feathers coming on!!...:)

Comment

Working...
                              X