Images from HCT, 27 April 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Images from HCT, 27 April 2011

Mine were all panned shots - Manual exposure, metered off the grass as an approximate greyscale. On the day, I am pretty sure Mike's were the same.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Mine were panning for moving subjects, but not for static(!)

I did play around (under Colin's direction) with metering and using 'M'anual mode, but I went back to Shutter Priority, usually 1/1000 to ensure I froze the action, and just let the aperture and ISO do what they wanted! I had ISO set to max at either 1600 or 3200, but as it was quite a bright day, it didn't go this high until we were in the darker woodland setting.

I hope that helps!

All the best, Mike.
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thanks Colin and Mike. I had a go last weekend and was disappointed, i can post some picture if you don't mind posting here.
        Raj
        Flickr

Comment

Post away RJ.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Please be gentle, i know its not anywhere near the previous post. All were taken on windy day (last Sunday) using 100-400mm lens and 5D.

IMG_6438 by rajjayaraj, on Flickr

IMG_6561 by rajjayaraj, on Flickr

IMG_6596 by rajjayaraj, on Flickr

IMG_6461 by rajjayaraj, on Flickr

IMG_6424 by rajjayaraj, on Flickr

I really would appreciate some useful cc to improve on this.
            Raj
            Flickr

Comment

Hi Raj

First up, I tried to access the pics on Flickr, but I don't have permission to view them!
              I was trying to see the EXIF data (data about the photo held with each shot).

So, without knowing your camera settings etc. (which is fairly crucial!)...
              #1. I like it. Captured well, and the dark and white feathers make it tricky for exposure, but the colours are OK.
              #2. If you're trying to 'freeze' the owls wing motion, you'll need faster shutter speed, it looks like it was a bright day, so at least 1/1000, possibly higher. As it is, I like the shot too, even with the wing blur!
              #3. Again, I like that one too. You've caught the moment just before he touches down, so he has that intent look in his eye.
              #4. I would 'guess' that in panning, you've moved into a darker area. Failing that, you may perhaps have restricted your ISO, and it couldn't get high enough to let enough light in?
              #5. Nice wing detail, but he's flying away from you, so we can't really see him.

For all of them, I must admit I find the background distracting, as it looks quite residential! It would help if you position yourself (if possible!), so you shoot against a more solid background, like trees. This would also benefit the shot in that it looks more natural.

All told though, I don't think they're too bad. If you can sort your Flickr permissions out, I'll have another look, but probably not tonight, as I'm off out!

Best 3 things to do, practice, practice and practice! All the best, Mike.
              flickr
              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Hi Mike, I have set the permissions to view. Hope you can access them now, I will certainly learn a lot from these C.C
                Raj
                Flickr

Comment

Raj

Right I'm back home now...

1st few shots taken too low a shutter speed, so hence the blurring of the wings, so as stated, I'd try 1/1000 / 1/1250 to start, and see how that works for you.
                  #4 (the dark one!) was at 1/3200 which is at the other extreme!
                  Also it's at the longest setting of 400mm, which on that lens I believe is only f5.6 which just isn't open enough to let in enough light at 1/3200!
                  Dropping the shutter speed down to something like 1/1000 or 1/1250 would be fine for a shot like that, and would allow a wider aperture setting, thus brighter image. I note the ISO was at 800 - was this set as the maximum it should go to?

When I first got my 550D, I restricted how high the ISO could go, but I had similar issues to you! I now let the ISO go as high as it wants (unrestricted), use Tv mode to be able to dial up or down the shutter speed quickly, and let the camera set aperture / ISO. Try that to start, and see what happens!
                  Also read up on panning technique (earlier in this thread), to ensure your tracked shots are given the best opportunity, especially at the longer focal lengths where any movement will be evident in your shot!

I'm sure after a bit of trial and error, you'll have it cracked, as your subjects are all spot on in the frame, and your timing on the owl shot was spot on too!

Hope that helps, but I'm sure others with more knowledge than me will comment as well.

All the best, Mike.
                  Last edited by mikep; 03-05-2011, 21:15. Reason: typos
                  flickr

Comment

Thanks for the comment and tips Mike,

I am struggling to keep up with my busy schedule.

Would it be better to set the lens on infinity when shooting, the reason i am asking is that my 100-400 struggled with the speed to focus and i am sure this is not a problem in either the prime lens or the newer generation. I was told by Canon people that the 100-400 is based on old technology which is better in the newer lens.

I had them on panning mode with IS do you think that i should have been switched off?
                    Raj
                    Flickr

Comment

Hell RJ

Let us not underestimate the fact that this is the most difficult area of photography that I have come across and it takes practice, practice and more practice to get consistently good shots. The 100 - 400mm is a good lens and in good light using high shutter speeds, will do the business for you. Turn the IS off. Fast moving subjects do not benefit from IS and you should be using high shutter speeds, so IS is of no help.

I would also like to emphasis Mike's comments on backgrounds. Before you even start shooting, you should work out where the light is, where to stand for a decent background and finally, which direction the wind is coming from. Birds will always land into the wind and you can get some very dynamic shots as they come into land. Sidways, or straight towards you looks good, away from you looks bad. It's all about planning the shot, rather than reacting to what is there.

Hope that helps.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin, i will practice practice and practice. I will remember all the tips when i try next time. I am on a steep learning curve here.
                        Raj
                        Flickr

Comment

Wow Mike fab shots, obviously a bird man in the making - well done you must be really chuffed with these images.

Joanne
                          To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Hi Joanne

Thanks for your comments, and I like how you've got bird names into your response...
                            Yes, I am CHUFFed (CHOUGHed), but I won't CROW about it!

As to whether I'm a bird man in the making... well, I've always liked the birds ;-)... I am assuming you didn't mean as in Alcatraz, for say, ROBIN someone!

All the best, Mike.
                            P.S. I think Colin had some good shots too!
                            Last edited by mikep; 09-05-2011, 21:19.
                            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                              I think Colin had some good shots too!
                              Kind of you to say so, but this Forum is all about encouraging new talent, of which you are one. Just take the credit and smile.

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X