• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barnes WWT - Friday 14th

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
    You know what the saying is .. "A bird in the hand is worth an oof"
    Cheers Stephen (I think!).

It just so happens I have an excellent 'bird in the hand' shot from the BWC member's evening, but I'm saving that for the BWC photo comp! Thanks for your comments.

Mike
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
      Good learning experience, and proves you can learn more by your bad shots!
      That is what it is all about Mike, we all make mistakes, the important thing is that we look at what went wrong and learn for the next time.

Hope you had a better day in the city - did you get any shots, or were you just at work? Thanks for your comments.

It was work, I did have a camera with me for my walk around the Bank / Guildhall area at lunch time but my mind was still on the board room AV system that I was fault finding on.
      Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

I like the migrant hawker Mike - well caught
        Regarding the swans, you may have done better to use spot metering off the swan and dial in up to 2 stops of + exposure compensation - reason being as you are metering just off the swan, ie all white, the camera will try to expose for mid grey andunderexpose therefor by setting + exposure compensation to shoud get it right

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Stan

Many thanks for tips on spot metering - it almost seems wrong to meter off something bright then overexpose ( ! ), but I understand the reasoning, and I'll have a play with that next time! I appreciate the helpful advice.

I too was happy enough with the Migrant Hawker, he was moving pretty darn fast, and I only took 3 pics of him before he disappeared, so I'm happy 1 came out OK!

All the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Cheers Dan.

No it definitely wasn't a waste of time, as I enjoyed the day away from the hussle and bussle, which is always nice! Just a shame about the mixed photographic results, but even there, no worries though... a learning experience!

Thanks for your comments. Yep, quite pleased with the Hawker, but I wish the Stags had been more active! Not much of a challenge photographing a Stag sitting down, but glad you liked it!

All the best, Mike
            flickr

Comment

Many thanks for tips on spot metering - it almost seems wrong to meter off something bright then overexpose ( ! ), but I understand the reasoning, and I'll have a play with that next time!
              If you use evaluative which averages across the whole scene and there are quite a few dark areas the camera will overexpose - very often at HCT with the barn owls I have to dial in - exposure compensation to stop the whites blowing

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Working...
              X