Malicious software attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Malicious software attack

Robert - I think you need to contact those [above] who have been getting warnings to see if they can provide fuller details to help your investigations. But you may want to seriously consider lockdown ... if only for due diligence.

Comment

Problem is happening on my desktop running XP and IE8. Although it hasn't happened when I logged in just now. Have not had any problem with my laptop running Windows 7 and IE9.

Comment

Originally posted by crusoe View Post
        Problem is happening on my desktop running XP and IE8. Although it hasn't happened when I logged in just now. Have not had any problem with my laptop running Windows 7 and IE9.
        Same here

Comment

Saw this on Microsoft site.... I suspect it means nothing as regards the "gotchas" that people are experiencing but it is about IE 8

2659410 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2659410/ ) An "Access Violation" error may occur in Internet Explorer 8 when you browse from a website that is using Internet Explorer 8 mode to a website that is using Internet Explorer 8 Standards mode
          David

Comment

IE9 & FF12 here, no problems on either.
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Windows Vista Home Premium - Firefox Mozilla 13 - Avast Free Antivirus running with realtime shield and sandbox active.

No problems, other than the normal "Timed out" and occassional attempt to double post.

Hope this helps.
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Windows 7 home premium, 32 bit. Service pack 1 (I think).

Firefox 12.0 - no issues.
                IE9 - got 'Attack' pop up from Norton as soon as I got to the EOS Forum home page - hadn't even navigated to anywhere else, and wasn't logged on.

I'm running Norton 360.
                flickr
                5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                  Would you like me to close the forum until the issue is resolved?
                  Should you go down that route, would you mind giving us a little notice and post updates on when the forum would be back up ?

Thanks in advance

Trev

Comment

Windows 7 home premium
                    IE9 - no issues
                    Firefox - no issues.
                    Norton AV
                    “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                    http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2
                      So fed up with the trojan attack that I formatted and re-installed everything.
                      Windows 7, IE8 etc..
                      All complete and logged on to forum this morning and bang! trojan attacked again.
                      System fully backed up, so ok (I hope).
                      If the trojan has tried an attack which the AVS caught and protected against then you should be okay.

BUT (there's always one or more) .... Did you run a rootkit find and destroy utility ... like Norton Power Eraser ? Some of these unwanted things can hide in parts of the disk a simple reformat will not destroy. The folk that write these are generally very bright ...

Comment

I'm running XP using Firefox as my browser the PC has Kaspersky Pure as AV/internet security and I have not seen any indication on this configuration of the problem being described in this thread.

My laptop is running Win7 with the above browser and AV again no indication of an issue.
                        Peter

Feel free to browse my
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I have just logged on at work. I am using IE7 and Macafee. Macafee did not spot anything, but using the browser history pull down I get HTTP://VOVOVOVOV and current page so it has attacked me. This tends to suggest that the problem is not on my PC at home.
                          Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

I have just logged on at work. I am using IE7 and Macafee. Macafee did not spot anything, but using the browser history pull down I get HTTP://VOVOVOVOV and current page so it has attacked me. This tends to suggest that the problem is not on my PC at home.
                            i have just had the same think happen as soon as i opened up this forum and again as i went to this topic
                            I am really inclned to avoid this forum until the problem is fixed

Stan
                            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                            flickr

Comment

I have just run checks on the forum using the following sites:
                              Try one of our new McAfee+ plans and get online protection today!

Website safety checks are vital to staying safe online, but how can you tell if a site is secure? Use a website safety checker and follow these tips.

Free website reputation checker tool lets you scan a website with multiple website reputation/blocklist services to check if the website is safe and legit or malicious. Check the online reputation of a website to better detect potentially malicious and scam websites.

They all give the forum site a clean bill of health.

However, more in-depth checks are being made and I am looking to see if further security measures can be taken. If this is an option, the site may be offline for a period - details will be given when you try access the forum.

Internet Explorer 7 and 8 appear particularly vulnerable to security issues. I have read that the German, French and Australian Governments have advised against using these browers. Firefox and Chrome are recommended.
                              Robert
                              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

As I see it re reading the thread - all those effected are using IE8 . . . . . . would it not be easier to use a better / faster browser and never click on IE again?

Checked all 6 PC's I have in here (all running win7 64bit and chrome) and no problems at all. (non have tappacrap installed either - just in case it matters)

.DAVID.
                                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                                X