How to upload images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to upload images

Being passed the age of 40 makes the brain cells left a bit jumbled so trying to figure out out to upload an image makes it difficult so if some bright young person could explain we may get started as so far Ive stalled on the starting grid several times LOL
    On this type of site there was a little mountion symbol you clicked on and pasted your copied image from a n other site and that was it easy so please help the 40 plus.

LesF
    face on images - photography by les forrester

www.faceonimages.co.uk

Re: How to upload images

hi les you need to go to new topic and click there..then scroll down to manage attachments then look for the file you want then click upload that should be it

Comment

How do I upload large image? Tried one and it was an attached thumbnail. Do I have to upload from URL?

Comment

Originally posted by theloafer View Post
        hi les you need to go to new topic and click there..then scroll down to manage attachments then look for the file you want then click upload that should be it
        But there is nowhere to click upload.

I think the site is badly letting its self down by not providing clear instructions as people will just get frustrated and give up, this is not the only thread about this subject, sorry but it is just how I feel about the site

LesF

www.faceonimages.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by LesF View Post
          But there is nowhere to click upload. I think the site is badly letting its self down by not providing clear instructions as people will just get frustrated and give up, this is not the only thread about this subject, sorry but it is just how I feel about the site
          Have you read the FAQs (menu bar, second from left)? These cover most aspects of using the forum. Please let me know if anything here is incomplete or inaccurate.
          Robert
          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Have just joined and still do not know how to get an image on here ......... are there no instructions anywhere? ......... not as easy as the old site sadly ..........
            Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by X-ray-spex View Post
              Have just joined and still do not know how to get an image on here ......... are there no instructions anywhere? ......... not as easy as the old site sadly ..........
              Instructions are in the FAQs (menu bar, second from left). Please let me know if there is anything you'd like to know which is not covered here.
              Robert
              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                Instructions are in the FAQs (menu bar, second from left). Please let me know if there is anything you'd like to know which is not covered here.
                Well tried it and nope all you get is a thumb nail image (see upload in mono titled "Mono Leeds")

Well tried it and failed, looks like the end of a short stay on this site for me

LesF

www.faceonimages.co.uk

Comment

Am seeing lots of thumbnails of images in many posts, and if I click to enlarge (as suggested when you hover over the image) the screen goes virtually black, I am told I don't have permission to do that and told to refresh and log in again (even though was logged in). I put a thumbnail up "accidentally" (see "Pin Sharp" thread in macro) by thinking it should be, and then trying to make, it an attachment. Cured it by quoting a flickr URL for the bigger picture, but would have liked to have uploaded a full size file.

I still haven't managed to load files of any great size, and have had to put things through flickr and give the addresses there - somewhere along the way some sharpness is disappearing - look at any of the albums under my user name (that's a great facility, by the way - thanks, Robert Scott and your team) - I know things are sharper than they appear.

Would it be possible for someone knowledgeable to detail (not just refer to faqs) how to get from a typical file on my hard drive - 3 - 4 mb these days, to a full size image on the forum? I know it might involve downsizing files at some point - how, when and where does one do that?

But - great to have the forum back!!

Cheers, Chris.
                  Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Well tried it and nope all you get is a thumb nail image (see upload in mono titled "Mono Leeds") Well tried it and failed, looks like the end of a short stay on this site for me
                    No, it hasn't failed. When you click on the thumbnail the image enlarges. There are different ways of posting images on the forum, but this one works well for me. If you are not happy with this result, please let me know what you would like to see.
                    Robert
                    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Hi Robert,

The FAQ says
                      To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
                      Unfortunately the 'Insert Image' icon, along with all the other useful shortcut icons, seems to be missing.

Regards,

Stuart
                      Comment and Criticism welcome.
                      Edits OK as long as they're not B&W conversions.

Comment

I think a uniformed upload system where all the images are loaded the same size etc and not having to click again to view the image would improve things a lot, the various posts and comments regarding this upload problem suggests this, don't you think.

Your thought please plus others regarding this subject.

LesF

www.faceonimages.co.uk

Comment

Hi, Robert.
                          Having right-clicked and looked at the properties of many images the easy, successful posts are where people have inserted a URL for something from flickr, photobucket etc., whereas people having trouble and ending up with thumbnails (which I can't then enlarge) are trying to upload images and show them as attachments.
                          That certainly is my own experience.
                          Cheers, Chris.
                          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris J View Post
                            Hi, Robert.
                            Having right-clicked and looked at the properties of many images the easy, successful posts are where people have inserted a URL for something from flickr, photobucket etc., whereas people having trouble and ending up with thumbnails (which I can't then enlarge) are trying to upload images and show them as attachments.
                            Part of the problem is that uploaded images use space on our server. We can't allow the upload of large files, as a few thousand of these would soon overwhelm our resources. Images already uploaded as attachments show good results on my screen when I click on the thumbnail. I need to find out why some members are having trouble enlarging thumbnails. Perhaps it is a browser incompatibility - feedback on this from members would be welcome.

I will look at the possibility of increasing the accepted JPG file size, but I need to discuss this with one of my colleagues, so it won't happen today.

Incidentally, if you try to upload a large image file, the system will attempt to reduce the size of the file to an acceptable level. I don't know how good it is at doing this - it might explain why some people are seeing poor quality images after upload. My advice is to downsize the file yourself before uploading it.

Images linked to the forum via a URL to another site do not have these problems - they are not saved to our server.

Finally, I have activated a range of tools and buttons which you will see at the top of the 'Post reply' and 'Quick reply' screens. One is the requested 'Insert image' button.

Please use the text formatting tools discreetly - if your message is good, it does not need excessive display.
                            Robert
                            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I think a uniformed upload system where all the images are loaded the same size etc and not having to click again to view the image would improve things a lot, the various posts and comments regarding this upload problem suggests this, don't you think.
                              As I recall, the previous EOS forum only showed images via a URL link to another site. This forum allows that, but also offers the option of uploading images direct from your computer. In addition, you can upload images to an album on the forum and post links to that.

I've added toolbars and icons to the reply boxes - that might help to make file attachments easier.
                              Robert
                              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
                              X