Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

I would like some help in identifying what I am doing wrong. I have previously posted on 2 of the threads and not had any problem adding photographs, now for some reason when I want to add a new thread I can not get the 'Manage Attachments' module to function correctly. It allows me to identify and select the photgraphs, it then seems to upload them but once the file names indicate that they have been uploaded and the status bar indicates that the file size uploaded is the same as the file it just sits there.

Previously the file has appeared in the attachments window and I have been able to post the file from there. Do I need to delete the previously posted items from the Home window to allow more posts?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Many thanks

Ian

Re: What am I doing wrong?

I had a similar problem but I have overcome it by using photobucket. Upload your pics from the computer on to photobucket and then it is quite easy to transfer it to the forum thread.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi Nathaniel,

Thanks for the hint, I have created an account in photobucket, uploaded a couple of images into it and tried to add them to the manage attachments section but get the message the images are too large. I have reduced the size of the base image that i am uploading to photobucket to 495k which is pretty small.

How large are the images that you upload?

Regards

Ian

Comment

Spot on Nathaniel

I really do enjoy seeing the progress of some members, to the stage where they are confident to provide advice and they are right!

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Hi Muscat

For photobucket, crop to 800px on the longest side at 100dpi and that should work ok.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin for all your words of encouragement and esp advice; I'd have been lost beyond trace a long time ago, without all the good advice I keep on getting.
            Muscat, if you follow Colin's advice you should be OK.

I personally do not re-size my computer images. I first of all upload them direct to photobucket and once in there you can re-size it using the icon at the top of the picture. Hover the mouse over the top of the photo and you will get various hidden icons- re-size, edit etc etc.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Many thanks for the help and assistance but sorry guys I must still be doing something wrong here.

I have uploaded the basic image into photobucket, then selected the image used the edit fucntion to resize the longest side of the image to <800 (I set it to 700) but could not find any place on the site to change the dpi.

I save the modifications to the image and then refresh the webpage, highlight and copy the URL at the top of the screen for the image being shown and paste that into the manage attachments website section. The system starts to upload the image but then returns the error that the image is too large. I have also tried using the URL that is indicated in the HTML share image section and get the same error.

There must be a simple step that I am missing here.

Sorry to be a pain

Comment

Muscat,

I have never touched the dpi when I transferred images to the forum. I uploaded from the computer into photobucket. Once in there I just lick on the re-size button on top of the photo and choose the large size which is 600x800, which I then save.Afterwards I click on the "share this photo " button.(i) This will open up a bunch of HTML tags. (ii) click on the IMG code and right click on "copy"(iii) Keep photobucket open and go to the EOS forum and right click on "paste" and the IMG code will appear (iv) continue with your post on the forum and then when you have finished, and click on save the post as normal.(v) if all has gone to plan, the EOS forum will interpret the IMG code and will display the image.

Remember to keep both sessions open- Forum and photobucket and don't worry with dpi- I never did.

Best of luck

Nathaniel

Comment

While on the subject, In photoshop you can reduced the file size significantly by reducing the file size to 72 dpi/ppi and then use the 'save to web function' and from there you can resize and chose your compression rate. This way, I can get to about 100 or so KB - and the quality is still fine for viewing!! So an 8MB file can be significantly reduced. Saves on space! This can also be done through DPP, but I find photoshop good for this. I use PSE6. (I also keep a separate folder named web images, with appropriate sub-folders according to the subject matter). This works for me!
                  Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Hooray at last a work around.

Thanks for all the help.

I still could not get photobucket to work but thanks to eeyore's comments I used Adobe Elements 8 to save the image as a websized file, I found it was easier to do this in PDE8 than in Lightroom as these are the tools that I use.

The attached I hope work out OK
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well done, you got there.

The images are still a little soft and this is probably a consequence of saving for web, rather than your photography. You do need extra sharpening for the web, so may I suggest that once you have saved for web, you apply an extra dose of sharpening. This will look horrible on your screen as oversharpened, but by the time it is uploaded, it will end up fairly similar to how you view it on your screen.

I had to experiment with sharpening settings to get it about right, but in general, double your normal sharpening gets you into the ball park.

Hope that helps.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Colin,

Many thanks for the kind words I will try and add sharpening to the files once saved for the web and see if that helps.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                        X