X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge No 64 Signs of Spring

Hi All,

The Challenge starting today is....."Signs of Spring"

I know it has been done before, in Spring 2011 but I think enough time has elapsed to have another go at it and I do believe the Subject offers a Lot of Scope, so I hope for plenty of entries!!!

The standard competition rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • The period of the competition shall be approx 14 days: starting immediately from Thursday 28th February until Midnight on Friday 15th March 2013.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • The guest ‘judge’ will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM them to discuss their choices).

Think that's all, so come on Folks, entries have been well down of late, can we try and reverse that trend please??

Regards Paul
    Last edited by pelliott1954; 28-02-2013, 11:51.

Re: Challenge No 64 Signs of Spring

the start of rhubarb crumble for the summer

Rhubarb sprouting by Jon Goodger, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 60D
    Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
    Aperture f/5.0
    Focal Length 146 mm
    ISO Speed 500
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    EOS 60d, EF50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm 3.5-5.6, EF 28-90mm 4-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS, Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 EX DC HSM
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jongoodger/

Comment

Hyacinths in a pot.

Hyacinths by AlexR!, on Flickr
      EOS 50D, ISO 200, 1/250 sec, f/4.0, 17.0mm
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

A Japanese themed Flowering Cherry & Horse Chestnut (Sticky Bud)

Cherry and Horse Chestnut Buds - Opening by PhotographyRussell, on Flickr
        Last edited by Columbarius; 13-03-2013, 16:01.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Roll on Spring!

7d 24-105L lens at 58mm

1/80sec @ f4.0 Iso 100

Comment

Spring Fashions

EOS-M w/EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
            1/200 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 100

Comment

Awakening.

Awakening by Secondintime., on Flickr

EOS 60D, 1/160 @ f/5.6, ISO 320, 24-105 F/4L @ 105mm
              Last edited by secondintime; 09-03-2013, 11:40.
              Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

An early starter.

Ian

Comment

Kiss of Spring Sunshine.

Camera Canon EOS 500D
                  Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
                  Aperture f/16.0
                  Focal Length 50 mm
                  ISO Speed 400
                  Exposure Bias 0 EV
                  Flash Off, Did not fire
                  Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                  Di's Flickr

Comment

Hello All,

Thanks to everyone who entered the Challenge of Signs of Spring.

I am not going to go into great detail about each shot, but simply pick my First three places with a few reasns why, so here we go.

3rd Place goes to "Awakening" by Secondintime, I liked this because this is what I was thinking about when I set the Challenge and the shot embodies exactly what the title is, a plant and buds struggling through the cold and forward into the Spring. It is well composed with the stem coming into the frame from the corner and on the diagonal and the background is beautifully out of focus.

2nd Place goes to "Hyacinths" by AlexR, again this is exactly what I had in mind for the Challenge. The photograph is very sharp, with lovely colours and lighting, a slight niggle with the Hyacinth on the Right being cut in half, but that could well have been unavoidable with the spacing of them.

1st Place is awarded to "An early starter" by Coryman, well done again for finding exactly what I was hoping for. I really like this picture, very well composed to me, the stem coming into the picture from the corner and the main flowers very nicely positioned, lovely colours and very nice light and lastly a very nice out of focus background.

So Well Done to Coryman for winning and over to you to set the next challenge.

Lastly, another Thankyou to all who entered.

Regards Paul

Comment

Congratulation Coryman on the win. A very well composed image. Thanks to Paul for putting together the challange and to all those that also entered.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
                        ...a slight niggle with the Hyacinth on the Right being cut in half, but that could well have been unavoidable with the spacing of them.
                        Paul,
                        Second? Crikey, thanks. Yes, the composition was far from perfect, but I had to crop that hyacinth because otherwise you'd have seen the edge of the pot. When I planted the pot up in the autumn it never occurred to me that I'd be photographing it for all to see; I really now wish I'd planted the one to the right nearer to the centre. Oh well, next year it'll be perfect...
                        Thanks for the comp, and well done to Coryman, an excellent and worthy winning shot.
                        Well done all, let's see what we all come up with next time.
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Well done Coryman and all who entered.
                          Well done Paul for setting this comp/challenge
                          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Well done to everyone who entered and Congratulations Coryman with a beautiful winner. Look forward to the next challenge.
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Well done Paul for setting and judging, and congrats to Coryman for a great shot!

All shots were worthy in my book, with some unusual ones in there too (I won't say which ones).

Nice to see your reasoning behind the decisions as well Paul. Well done.

Onwards and upwards. Mike.

EDIT - Blimey Di, we joined around the same time... how come you're nearly at 5,500 posts already? You need to get out more!
                              flickr
                              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Working...
                              X