Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge 67 - "Countrylife Calendar"

Hi All,

Apologies for the Delay in the Judging, SWMBO has had me Gardening!!!

Before I start, I would just like to take this opportunity to mention the Thread I started a couple of Months ago, Called "Is the Forum Challenge past it's Sell By Date"
    I think that one or two Members were a Tad irritated by the Thread and perhaps thought I wanted to change the Challenge in some way, I would just like to say that nothing could be further from the Truth, I wanted the Challenge to remain exactly as it was, and thankfully still is. It was certainly never my intention to get any of the Rules changed, I think they are perfect as they are.
    As I mentioned in that thread, I really like the Challenge as does my Wife Sue and it brings her in to the Hobby too, which I think is a good thing.
    It is very pleasing to note that the last few Challenges have been well supported so Thanks to all for that.
    However, if the thread did upset anyone, then I sincerely apologise.

Now for the Judging

Tesarver - Life in Eastern Pa.

Definitely has a Rustic feel to it. I like the processing and love the cloud formations in the sky. The washing on the line adds a certain sort of charm too. 16/20

DianaS - King Pin

Definitely what the Judge had in mind in regard to Countrylife Images
    I really like this picture, great colour throughout, Head and Eye are as sharp as a tack and lovely detail in the chest feathers. Tail going out of focus and background well out of focus, all just right to me. 19.5/20

Secondintime - Ploughman

Certainly an image you could expect to see on a Countrylife Calendar. Tractor is well positioned on the thirds and with plenty of room to move into, nice cloud formations too. Sadly let down a bit for me as the image seems to have a bit of a blue cast to it, or is there a bit of haze in the air, not quite sure. 16/20

JimmyR - My Family

Again a good depiction of Countrylife, I like the way the Ewe and two Lambs are looking at the Camera. I wonder if it could be slightly under saturated though and maybe the long low building on the Right and the single Sheep would be better cropped off? 16/20

Wayne Els - Weeds wait for no man.

Not sure if this is Countryside enough for inclusion in a Countrylife Calendar to be honest, it could be a Greenhouse in a City Garden, so not quite what the Judge was looking for on this occasion. The man is nice and sharp as are the weeds he is tackling which are the subject of the Picture, I don't think the tyre helps though nor the Kneeling Aid in the greenhouse. 12/20

Hereford EOS - Isolated in Elan Valley.

Certainly could be the type of image for a Countrylife Calendar. It's probably the time of year but again it looks a little flat in colour to me. I think I would have liked the roof of the building on the right up to the edge of the trees cropped out, and the bridge off the bottom removed, this would put the house more on the thirds which I think would be more pleasing. 17/20

Thudr Strck - I do love to be beside the Sea.

Not what I would expect to see on a Countrylife Calendar but maybe that's just me! I quite like the foreground and the Milky water effect, but it doesn't look super sharp to me. The horizon looks a tad out of level and the sky has no detail in it at all, at least on my Monitor it doesn't and that lets the image down a bit. 16/20

CharlesCaz - A River runs through it.

Definitely got what the Judge intended. I like the processing of the image, great sky and cloud formations. A good lead in with the River, nice and sharp front to back. Good well balanced picture. 18/20

Columbarius - Cottage on River Avon.

Nice view which people would expect to see on a Countrylife Calendar. Sadly the Cottage which is integral to the subject is a bit too hidden. I like the way the River is leading into the Picture and how you made a feature of the Grass/Reeds in the Foreground, nice colour depths and sky. 17/20

Alun 100 - By the Gate.

Again, Animals would be a subject for a Countrylife Calendar so what the Judge wanted.
    Sadly, the Gate, although in the Image title spoils the picture somewhat as do the "Udder" cows in the background. Colours and Sharpness look ok to me. 14/20

ChrisJ - Sheep awaiting Feeding Time.

A good combination of Countryside images, Sheep and an old Viaduct. It looks as if you have the Focus on the viaduct, I would have preferred the sheep to have been sharper. Nice colours of grass and sky. I think you could have cropped a bit off the foreground and brought the sheep a bit closer to the viewer, I also would have liked the wire cloned out. 16/20

Coryman - Me and My Mum.

Definitely got in the Head of the Judge with this one. A lovely picture, well postioned, no distractions, good colour depth, focus just right, everything looks good to me. Just a shame about the Coloured tags in the ears, not sure if they could have been cloned out or not. 19/20

Andy A - Lets go this way.

Lots of good things about the picture but am just not sure a Road would feature in a Countrylife Calendar though. I really like the tree position on the Left with it's overhanging branches framing the image and the daffodills at the base and on the verges, Good colour and Light and a great Sky. 17/20

Well that's the lot, I hope I haven't offended anyone with the Judging.

3rd Place - 18/20 - CharlezCaz with A River runs through it.
    2nd Place - 19/20 - Coryman with Me and my Mum
    1st Place - 19.5/20 - DianaS with KingPin.

So, finally, Thanks to everyone who entered and over to Diana for the next Challenge.

Regards Paul
    Last edited by pelliott1954; 03-05-2013, 11:13.

Comment

Well done all. A worthy winner Diana.
      Thanks Paul for another great challenge. A really high standard again. You did a great job in setting a great challenge and for in depth comments.

looking forward to the next one
      Garry
      Garry Macdonald on Flickr
      Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Well done Diana, liked the pic the moment I saw it. Well judged Paul!!!
        Alun

Comment

Very well done Diana, I very much liked your pic too, it made me smile. Well done to all the entrants and of course thanks to the judge for your comments.
          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Well done Diana also liked moment I saw it ,also Paul for his comments, and to the other entrants, Looking forward to the next challenge

Jimmy

Comment

Well done Paul for setting and judging,
              Congratulation Di (DianaS) a worthy winner.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Congratulations Diana, fabulous shot and well done to everyone for putting in the effort and making challenge so competitive. Thank you Paul for the constructive comments.
                Ian

Comment

Well done Di, great shot. And thank you Paul for you detailed comments - they really add value to the whole "competition". I think we all appreciate such constructive criticism.
                  Russell
                  Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Well done Paul for setting an interesting subject and for the comments on each entry... an important detail, I think! Sorry I didn't partake this time, but my only trip out in the time allowed was to Brands Hatch, and that's not very 'Countryfile'!

Well done Di for winning... really like that shot, and a worthy winner! Of course, you've got to think up a topic for the next one now!

Cheers, Mike.
                    flickr
                    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thanks everyone, especially to Paul for setting the subject and making such interesting comments on all the great entries.
                      Thanks too to my 'model' - was given to me as a laying pullet but started crowing shortly thereafter!
                      I am setting the new subject right away as we are going to France in 2 weeks, so will just have time to judge before we go - the part I am dreading!!

Comment

Congratulation DianaS on a well done image

Tom

Comment

Congratulations Diana on a great shot; bright, cheerful and eye-catching, I can see why it won. But there were also a good number of darned fine images so it could have gone any way, so well done everyone.
                          Great Challenge Paul and your comments were fascinating; it is always really interesting to see other people's viewpoints. Sorry I didn't enter, but I haven't been anywhere near anything that could be remotely called 'countryside' recently.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Congratulations Diana fabulous shot !! , thanks to Paul for the constructive feedback on the images and judging , was a great challenge .
                            Canon 600d

Just a regular guy with a regular job wishing i was out taking photos all day

http://500px.com/charlescaz

Comment

Well done on the judging. :-)

Congratulations Diana. Beautiful shot! I look forward to the next challenge..
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Well done Diana and all the entrants, good to see (another) well supported competition. Good work Paul on the setting and judging too! I applaud you for questioning the status-quo, and I think you've injected a new vigour to the competition.
                                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
                                X