Re: Challenge #69 - Movement

Wakebirding

50D, 70-200 with 1.4 extender

Comment

2:32

Doug.
        Cameras... 7D, 350D
        Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
        Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Another well supported challenge with sixteen great submissions of a high standard, I spent ages pondering the images and it was so difficult to pick any which were significantly better than the others.

Thanks to everyone who took part and made time to find subjects which fitted the theme. I find the bi-weekly challenges a real incentive to seek out different perspectives, and use it as a spur to try new things (even if nothing I shoot comes up to the standard, it's still great to try something on a deadline), I’m glad so many others treat it in the same way too.

Thanks also to those who have viewed the images.

Firstly, a brief critique of the images…

Ajp1039 “Night riders”
          Nice interpretation on the remit, and something I wondered whether we might see submitted. Great colours and nicely exposed, but it lacks something, possibly a focal point.

Riggers “Smash ‘em”
          Clever idea and nicely captured Lee, but something doesn’t quite gel, perhaps the angle of the shot or the hovering cue-ball?

Jimmyr “One two many”
          A clever interpretation of movement Jimmy, but conjures up too many bad memories to sit happily with me ;-)

MikeP “3-Way Bird Fight”
          I love the trio of water fowl Mike, they remind me of the three flying ducks on my Grandma’s wall a long time ago. The contrasting colour of each individual is perfect too, as is the panoramic crop which seems to highlight the motion. One of my favourite images.

Coryman “Heading Home”
          Lovely sharp image and perfectly cropped Ian, conveys motion perfectly despite the short shutter speed.

DianaS “Hill 40”
          Really evocative image Diana with the swaying crop showing movement brilliantly, but there’s something disconcerting about the asymmetrical upper third of the image, nonetheless it’s one of my favourite submissions.

Captureasecond “Vulcan Sunburst”
          Gorgeous image of a stunning subject captured so well Keith! I’m not aware of the effect you’ve captured, but it’s fascinating and shows movement in a unique fashion. I can understand you watermarking the image, but it’s just so intrusive.

Wynbergsa “Jet Bike”
          Nicely exposed bike in an image which shows the movement well Colin, but the rider seems a little soft to me, and the water spray a little too grey

AlexR! "Movement (within a movement)"
          Clever interpretation Alex, lovely rich colours and intricate detail on the metalwork, but a bit soft around the edges.

Pelliott1954 “Wakeboarding”
          I love the background and the kids expression in this dynamic image Paul, and the frozen droplets contrast nicely with the motion-blurred ones at the board tip. Possibly just a little oversaturated though. Another of my favourite images.

SecondInTime “Eruption”
          I’m not sure how this was done Peter, but it’s a very different take on the water-drop photos which were all the rage a few months ago. The lighting is really dramatic with the completely black backdrop, but I think that the liquid (water?) could be just a little brighter.

Rickysticky “20120530_PUTS-0251_IJFR”
          A great panning shot Rich which really shows movement well, bright and colourful with rich colours and a lovely blurred background and a fabulous look of determination on her face, but focussed just a little too far back. Not sure the title is too catchy though ;-) Another of my favourite images.

ChrisJ “Move meant”
          A quirky and clever interpretation of the remit Chris which I like a lot, lovely rich colours and a good point of view. I think that the point of focus lets it down a little though.

DenisJ
          Beautiful dreamlike image Denis which perfectly captured movement, but was also a little disturbing! The combination of subject and camera movement conspired to produce a perfect interpretation of the remit. A shame that it didn’t meet the criteria for entry.

Markyreds “Spinning Top”
          Nice idea Mark and lovely motion blur, I particularly like the multiple shadows which indicate movement also, but I think that the floor is too intrusive and detracts from the overall impact.

Chubbythumper “Wakebirding”
          This made me chuckle, you managed to include humour in the title! I like the image, and the motion, but it’s just a little too noisy and the duckling is a little soft, but I like the crop and the almost monochrome nature of the water.

Montana 5 “2:32”
          Another interesting interpretation Doug, I presume you suffer from insomnia? I applaud you for having the wherewithal to think of using your camera at such as ungodly hour ;-)

So, to the placings:

1st Place Keith’s “Vulcan Sunburst” for its unique and unusual nature
          2nd Place Mike’s “Three-Way Bird Fight” for its memories and unusual crop
          3rd Place Rich’s cyclist for its classic panning

Honourable mentions go to Diana’s “Hill 40”, Paul’s “Wakeboarding”, and Denis’ (withdrawn) blurry-portrait.

Thanks again to all the entrants, I really enjoyed pawing through the images.

So, over to Keith to set the next challenge, I look forward to viewing the submissions!
          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Firstly, well done to Steve for setting what I thought 'may' be a comp with some predictable entries... but I was happily wrong on that, 'cos what a mixed bag of shots we had! All great in my opinion... I especially love the diversity... so, well done to all who entered!
            Also, great write up of your thought process - an element I think is so important, and I appreciate your feedback.

Secondly, thanks for the 2nd place Steve!
            Obviously, I think that's the best place to be in... most of the applause, no future commitment!

Lastly, well done to Keith for the winning Vulcan shot (yes, shame about the watermark!), but what a great image. Simply Superb!

Well done all... looking forward to the next one!

Mike
            flickr
            5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Well done Keith, Mike and Rich for being on the podium and very well done to all of those that took part.

This competition was waning a little, but over the last few has received renewed enthusiasm. We all get lucky with a shot now and again, but to go out with limited time and a specific brief shows what a photographer you are.

I also enjoy those members that think carefully about the subject and come up with a different interpretation of the theme.
              Colin

Comment

Yep, well done everyone, some great shots in there
                EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Congratulations Keith on your winning entry and well done to all who entered the competition. Steve, great feedback and a good subject choice, well done to you too!
                  Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                  http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                  https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post

DenisJ
                    Beautiful dreamlike image Denis which perfectly captured movement, but was also a little disturbing! The combination of subject and camera movement conspired to produce a perfect interpretation of the remit. A shame that it didn’t meet the criteria for entry.

Honourable mentions go to Diana’s “Hill 40”, Paul’s “Wakeboarding”, and Denis’ (withdrawn) blurry-portrait.

Thanks again to all the entrants, I really enjoyed pawing through the images.
                    Uuuuh, I did not expect to be even mentioned - the pic was on only for a day or so before I read the ruels carefully and removed it.

The effect is indeed unusual and must be 'disturbing' because you cannot really see where the effect comes from. There was no camera movement. The was no subject movement (almost)! It was shot through an art installation at Saatchi - a huge mirror that wobbled when somebody passed by it. So the movement is only in the mirror so the movement effect is purely in the optical path! I re-post it here: http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...126#post151126

Liked the Vulcan!

Thanks a lot!
                    Last edited by DenisV; 04-06-2013, 14:47.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22498927@N05/sets/

Comment

Congratulations to Keith, Mike and Rich and to all the others that submitted an image.

Tom

Comment

Well done Keith a cracking shot ,Also to Mike and Rich look forward to next challenge

Jimmy

Comment

OO, :) Thank you Steve for your kind words, stoked with a third among such cracking images. Well done to Kieth and Mike, as soon as I set eyes on the Vulcan I knew it was a winner :) Sorry about the dodgy title, I was so busy cleaning dust after a year of not using the ! series, I forgot to rename the set lol :)
                          http://www.rpic.co.uk/
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich_webber_photography/
                          http://www.facebook.com/richwebberphotography
                          https://twitter.com/#!/rpic_rich

Comment

Well done Keith looking forward to your challenge, also to Mike and Rich for their first class entries and everyone for making the effort to take part. I really like these challenges and seeing the various interpretations on the themes being set.

Ian
                            Ian

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                              I find the bi-weekly challenges a real incentive to seek out different perspectives, and use it as a spur to try new things (even if nothing I shoot comes up to the standard, it's still great to try something on a deadline), I’m glad so many others treat it in the same way too.
                              Steve, thanks for running another great competition, and for providing such good comments on each entry.
                              Yes, what you say is exactly why I enter. In this case I got the idea and it spurred me into buying a reversing ring for some poor-man's macro. It didn't come out as good as the image I had in my head but enthused me enough to make me want to experiment further, and I will.
                              Keith, well done, that is a cracking but truly challenging image brilliantly executed.
                              And well done to everyone who entered, I'm always astonished by the variety of entries. There are some darned creative folks on this forum.
                              See you on the next.
                              Canon EOS 7D
                              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Congrats to Keith and well done Mike and Rich. Thanks Steve for setting the theme and judging.
                                Yes my entry was taken at 2.32 am, blackout conditions outside and in the Kitchen, clock was on the Cooker.

Doug.
                                Cameras... 7D, 350D
                                Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
                                Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Working...
                                X