Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge no. 81 - New Beginnings

This is challenge 81.

It runs from now 1 January, until midnight on 15 January inclusive (UK time). This encompasses 2 weekends, and time to PP!

My subject for this Challenge is 'New Beginnings'.

Happy New Year to all!

You can take this theme however you see fit. Maybe you're just about to take that first photo with the new lens or body you got for Christmas, or it could be the first photo at the start of a new day. It could be one of your New Year resolutions, however you take this just have some fun with it!

As always, the standard competition rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments on images by anyone until the judging is complete.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

I will try to give constructive critique on all entries!

Good luck!

Chris.
    Chris
    Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Re: Challenge no. 81 - New Beginnings

My contribution is based on: first time meeting mother and sister of my colleague, first photoshoot with my 85L, first shoot since leaving my old job, first time this family has had a family photograph for many years:

Chatzilia Family 3 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 5Diii, 85L, ISO1000, f3.5, 1/60 sec

Richard
    Last edited by rcarca; 03-01-2014, 16:40.
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

The beginning of a new Salvia flower.

Salvia bud by

Camera Canon EOS 7D
      Exposure 1.3
      Aperture f/16.0
      Focal Length 150 mm with 68mm extension tubes
      ISO Speed 320
      Exposure Bias

Comment

I should explain that flash photography has always been a complete mystery to me. In an effort to overcome this I asked Santa to get me a copy of Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook (as much recommended on this forum), which he very kindly did. I have only read a couple of chapters so far, but one of his mantras is to get the flash off-camera, so this is my first image ever doing just that. I am looking forward to a whole 'New Beginning' to my photography.

Speedliters Handbook by AlexR!, on Flickr
        EOS 7D, EF-S 17-85
        0.5 sec, f/6.3, 38mm, ISO 200, 0EV
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Challenge results:

First of all i'd like to thank those who took part, to me you are all winners.
          But here goes:

In third place Speedliters Handbook -
          What a great new book you have got there and already paying off.
          Some good lighting.
          The book is a bit too central though for my liking.
          Good effort.

In second place we have Salvia Bud -
          Deriving from the Latin Salvere - to feel well and healthy.
          A great subject for macro photography which you have done well with the extension tubes.
          I also like the deep red background against the new green and white haired bud.
          The leaf behind doesn't do much for me and would have like to have seen the bud on its own with the red background.
          Still a great effort.

In first place we have Chatzilia Family 3 -
          What a great family pose this is and well taken!
          The lighting is great, background out of focus.
          A lot of new's in this too.
          Smiles all around.

Congratulations Richard, now back over to you.
          Chris
          Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Thanks Crunch aka Chris! Much appreciated and congratulations to Diana and Alex on two great pictures.

I will put my thinking hat on and come up with a theme for the next competition in the next couple of days.

Best

Richard
            Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Wahay, a top 3 finish. Who'd have thunk it?
              Chris, thanks for the comp (which was both stretching yet encompassing) and the comments, all of which I would agree with. Shame there weren't more entries; but that often means that there'll be a number crop for the next (Richard's) one.
              Well done Diana and Richard - both great shots but the winner is a lovely image, and a nice smiley, positive one to get the year started.
              Last edited by AlexR!; 17-01-2014, 07:55.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Yep, well Done Richard, great natural looking shot. Well done the others too.
                EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Congratulations, Well done to all.
                  Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                  Di's Flickr

Comment

Yes, great winning shot -n all look very happy. Thanks for setting and judging, Chris. A very interesting subject, maybe more of us will enter next time!

Comment

Working...
                    X