Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 85 ..... "Dusk to Dawn"

This is challenge 85.

It runs from Saturday 5th April, until midnight on Monday 21st April inclusive (UK time). This encompasses 2 whole weekends, and time to PP.

I didnt want to go for the obvious Chocolate / Bunny theme and I said I would think about this on my journey back and forth to Sheffield this evening. After witnessing a fantastic picturesque sunset - that sadly I couldnt take a picture of - as I was hurtling along the Motorway at 70mph (cough), it came to me.

The subject for this Challenge is "Dusk to Dawn"

This can be interpreted anyway you wish, but my thoughts were: preferably outdoors from late evening to early morning, especially here in the UK now with the change in clocks / longer nights and the nicer weather coming upon us. I have put "Dusk to Dawn" as it can also incorporate any night time shot as well.

With this subject I hope I have made the subject matter wide enough to encourage anyone to enter.

As always, the standard competition rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images must be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments on images by anyone until the judging is complete.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (assuming there are three entries! And please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

I look forward to seeing the entries.

Thank you everyone.

Andy.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Re: Challenge 85 ..... "Dusk to Dawn"

Only seen for a while after dusk or a while before dawn when the sun, then below our horizon, lights up its underside - here is the International Space Station coming over next door's garage. A few stars showing as well.

Probably the "technically worst" photo on the forum, but I found it fun - even has a slight kink at the start of the trail as I nudged the tripod......

Long exposure - I reckon it travelled about 40 miles whilst the shutter was open.

7D + 24-105L.

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Cathedral & Market Square at Night

6D 24-105@32mm (cropped) F4 1/13s ISO12800 raw conversion to B&W in LR.
      Last edited by Wayne Els; 11-04-2014, 10:29.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

My first ever moon image. I would have much preferred it less full (it was only 2 days off full and waxing gibbous), but within the time constraints of clear nights during the challenge timeframe, beggars can't be choosers.

Moon by AlexR!, on Flickr
        EOS 7D, 70-300 IS USM plus 2x Extender (despite what the camera's exif on Flickr says)
        f/6.3, 600mm, 1/30sec, ISO 200, 0EV
        13 April 2014
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Just a reminder everyone - closing date midnight Monday so just this long easter weekend to go to get your entries in.

Thanks,
          Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

It would be nice to have some more entries please. Not long left. :)

Thanks.
            Andy
            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

"Mahon Harbour"

IMG_6545 d.jpg
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Through the bedroom window from Dusk to Dawn

IMG_7150 no night.jpg

EOS 600D, 18-55mm @ 47.0mm, manual focusing, ISO 100
                Left Image - 13 sec, f8, Exp Comp 0
                Right Image - 1/13, f16, Exp Comp +2/3

Comment

Street Car Named Canal

EOS SL1 w/40mm STM
                  30 Sec @ f/22, ISO 100

Comment

Many thanks everyone for the entries.

This has been quite hard to judge as there are two pictures that really stood out for me for two completely different reasons.

Just going through the entries (and apologies as I am not a technical expert so comments are just my thoughts on the picture / IQ / theme).

Chris J / International Space Station: Fits the theme with the night time shot and like the idea that this is the Space Station orbiting, however a couple of things let it down - as you said, you have knocked the tripod, caused a little loss of focus on the station :) and the other thing, it looks like your neighbour needs new guttering / fascias :).

AlexR! / Moon: You say this is your first picture and Im envious as I've tried a couple of times now and havent managed to capture as much detail on the moon as you have so a very good effort.

Lunarbo / Mahon Harbour: Lovely view out through the boats to the harbour and the faded red sky in the background. Nice clear reflections and liked the way my view is drawn into the picture.

3rd place: Wayne Els / Cathedral & Market Square at Night: Really liked this. The deserted market square well lit leading your eye to the Cathedral overlooking it at the back.

So on to the top 2 which as mentioned both stood out for different reasons.

In second place, this one stood out because of the thought that has gone into the picture and the fact it uses the theme I asked for to the complete full extreme and that is:

opifex / View from Bedroom window. I like the way that you have managed to blend the two pictures into one giving the entire feel of the Dusk to Dawn. I do wonder though if the telegraph pole in the middle should be used to split the picture rather than an inch to its left. However, I like this as its different.

So that leaves the winner as:

tesarver / Street Car Named Canal.

Well done Tom. I really like this. IQ is excellent, composition of the car from the low angle. The lights and reflections in the windows and body of the street car just sparkle at you.

So its over to you Tom for the next one.

Again, well done everyone and hope none of my comments have offended. I know Im not an expert and still have a lot to learn.
                    Andy
                    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Thanks Bhuna. And congratulations to all the at entered as each where very good. I 'll put the next challenge up in a day or two

Comment

Congrats Tom and all who entered the Challenge
                        Raj
                        Flickr

Comment

Good effort All. Tom, cracking shot! Glad you posted it last as you would have scared us away if it had gone up earlier. :big grin:
                          TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Andy, thanks for a great topic, for judging and your comments. And well done Tom, a great shot and worthy winner. Shows that your colour shots are winners too!
                            So well done everyone, a good clutch of entries again.
                            Canon EOS 7D
                            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Well done Bhuna for a great topic and judging.

Well done to all who entered... you all deserve a

and Congratulations to Tom. Very well done!
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X