Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 86 - Selfies

SELFIES

It seems to be the current rage. Presidents are doing it, celebrates are doing it, grandma's and grandfather's are doing it. Only they are all doing it with a cell phone. The Challenge is to create your own selfie using your Canon EOS. That means you need to take a photo of yourself, without the help of another person framing and pushing the shutter button. Areas that I will be looking at is composition, use light, creativity and overall appeal of the image. Judging is purely subjective and can be swayed by the amount of wine consumed before judging, the amount of sleep I had, and overall mood I'll be in.

The challenge starts immediately and finishes at Midnight on Midnight on May 5th, 2014. That should give everyone two weekends to create their Selfie do any PP and post it. Good luck and may the best Selfie win.

The standard competition rules apply:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Good luck everyone!

Tom

Re: Challenge 86 - Selfies

I don't like my photo being taken

The man Behind the Camera by paulraybouldphotography, on Flickr
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Near silhouette:

Selfie silhouette 2
      by AlexR!, on Flickr
      EOS 7D, EF 24-105
      f/14, 47mm, 0.5sec, ISO 200, 420EX (slaved)
      Taken 27 Apr 14
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

"Not quite understanding this 'Selfie' era.."

Last edited by Bhuna; 05-05-2014, 22:07. Reason: Uploaded wrong picture / changed title
        Andy
        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
        [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Egg & Spoon

IMG_2987adj by markyreds, on Flickr
          http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/12679003@N04/

Comment

Thanks for those that submitted their Selfies for this Challenge. I guess most of the members are a bit shy to display a selfie, but for those that did, very nice stuff. Here is my scoring:
            Scoring is from 1-5 for each category

4th Place: Egg & Spoon
            composition: Horizon is slightly tilted from right to left and then there is a blue base that distracts from the over all composition of the spoons.
            Score:3

use light:Over all the Spoons are lit well. However the there is not enough separation from the background and the subject of the selfie.
            Score: 3

creativity: What can I say. Love the creativity of this image
            Score: 5

overall appeal: Score 3.5

Total: 14.5 out of 20

Although I Scored the image, I did have to disqualify this image as it was submitted past the closing date.

3rd Place: "Not quite understanding this 'Selfie' era.."

composition: Like that there is little dead space in the image, and the DOF used keeps everything in focus
            Score: 3.5

use light: the Overall lighting seems to have cheated a image where the toning seems a bit flat.
            Score: 2.5

creativity: Simple but effective. Adjust the contrasts, darken the black a bit and increases the whites whole help in making the image pop a bit more.
            Score: 3.5

overall appeal: Score 3.5

Total: 13 out of 20

2nd Place: I don't like my photo taken
            composition: There is nothing that I can find wrong with the composition The Background helps in creating that menacing look. The DOF, lighting, catch light and framing keeps the viewer focused on the face.
            Score:5

use light: Like how you used the side light that brightens the right side of the face which helps in creating that menacing look of the image. Also nice catch light in the eyes that gives life to the subject.

creativity: The shirt, unshaven look, lighting, and dark background really makes this image special.

overall appeal: Score 4.5

Total: 19.5 out of 20

1st Place: Near silhouette
            composition: The framing, lighting, white background and side view makes this image.
            Score:5

use light: Love the small about of light that just opens the face and gives you that catch light in the eyes and make out a bit of detail in the face.

creativity: Love the creativity of this image

overall appeal: Score: 5

Total: 20 out of 20

So it is over to you Alex. Congratulations

Tom

Comment

Well done Alex, a great image.
              Well done Tom on judging and critique.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Well done Alex. Great pic.

thanks for judging Tom.
                Andy
                Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Well done Alex Great Selfie.

Thanks to Tom for judging and providing great feedback
                  1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                  Facebook
                  www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Well blow me down! Thanks Tom, for the comp and the detailed critique. It wasn't actually the image I set out to get, which was a pure silhouette and is on my Flickr page but once I saw this variant it was clearly better.
                    Congrats to all the entrants, you are right that people may not have wanted to show themselves. Hopefully there will be more entries next time.
                    Speaking of which, I'm in Prague at the moment (I know, it's a tough life!) and posting from my phone is painful so I'll come up with a theme for the weekend.
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

A good challenge. Congrats to all who took part.
                      “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                      http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X