Clear All

Re: Forum Challenge No 3 2nd to 16th April

Well Done Colin C, great Image

I also loved X-ray-spex image of the Swan,

Looking forward to the next challenge.

Comment

Nice one, Colin C. Well done.
      Enjoyed all the attempts but the first three did stand out.
      Look forward to the next challenge.
      Cheers, Chris.
      Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Well done Colin - knew yours was a winner as soon as I saw it!! It must have taken a lot of patience to set up. I am sure you will set a challenging challenge!!

Thank you too Doglet, for your comments - it is very interesting to read feedback and see other people's ideas!

Comment

Well done Colin - knew yours was a winner as soon as I saw it!! It must have taken a lot of patience to set up. I am sure you will set a challenging challenge!!

Thank you too Doglet, for your comments - it is very interesting to read feedback and see other people's ideas!

Comment

Well done, Colin. Nice shot. Takes a lot of effort to take that picture. A worthy winner.

Ready for the next challenge!
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thank you Doglet and thank you all for your very kind comments.

That was obviously a studio shot, originally a 3/4 rear Bowens with a snoot and honeycomb. The drips were set up about one every two seconds and I guessed the timing for the shutter, which after a few attempts, is not so difficult as it sounds. It took me about 10 minutes to set up, before I was shooting ................. eazy peazy. But not so! When I examined the shots magnified on the rear screen, they were soft.

After further thought, I concluded that the duration from the studio head was actually too long, so I tried my Canon 580 MKII, knocked up a snoot from some black paper and sticky tape and the flash duration was short enough to provide a sharp shot.

Composed in camera with no subsequent cropping. I concluded that although it may be a bonus to have the reflection included, it would effectively double the height of the shot and to fit a normal format, that would have resulted in a lot of black on the left and right of the shot. I was therefore comfortable to concentrate on the main action, which was one drop of water dropping into the container, resulting in the column and a few lesser droplets.

As an aside, I mentioned to "She Who Must be Obeyed" the result of this competition and with barely disguised disinterest, she asked to see the entries. She flicked through them ignoring names and Avatars and said: "I like that one. Thats the pictures you should take, rather than wasting your time with birds and animals!"

You're well ahead of me aren't you? She chose my shot and now I have to do a large canvas wrap to go on the wall in the kitchen. A supreme honour indeed and I am pretty sure that the colour scheme of the kichen had nothing to do with her choice. Hmmm, on second thoughts .............

Colin
              Colin

Comment

'Wow' to the winning shot. Simply stunning.

Love the water bills, too, very ingenious.
                Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
                X