Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A storm in a tea cup

Originally posted by Doglet View Post
    Millie's rules to be followed, the same criteria used for judging, and two weeks allowed starting on the 2nd April

Challenge No 3 is WATER in what ever context you want.
    This may or not stretch the imagination and hopefully take you out of your comfort zone.
    Will not give any hints other than imagination could win the day
    First of all heartiest congratuations to Doglet on winning this round. Many a time I have sat in my church and looked up at the ceiling and never twigged that it would be a fine competition sujbect!!! So this competition, although a fun one, does make me bring out my camera during this cold spell,makes me think and all in all a very good idea aka Millie!!

I note that Millie's rules are to be followed and in this, may I suggest that the time frame is strictly adhered to. The Round 2 appeared to be rather soft/lax in applying Millie's rules- In round 1 two entrants were disqualified for submitting entries out of the time frame. If there are rules let us stick by them, otherwise the competition will result in "anything goes"- shades of the laxity of the Parliamentary fees office which allowed the MP's expenses scandal to grow. Maybe a harsh comparison but even though this is a fun, enjoyable compeition, let the rules prevail.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Forum Challenge No 3 2nd to 16th April

Point taken Nathaniel, although in my defence it wasn't for lack of trying... I did have an image uploaded to a forum album in time and was about to post with a minute or so to spare, however it reduced the file size from about 140kb to only 14kb and it looked awful in the preview. I then had to sort out a couple of issues with my ftp software before I could copy it to my own webspace so that I could link to it from there which is why I was about an hour late by the time it was actually posted. I don't

Yes rules are rules, but just as we have the rule of thirds, we don't always rigidly apply it. I see this as a bit of fun to test and develop my skills, to see if I can interprete something in a way that stands out, and to make me think about what and why I am taking an image.

Anyway, I am grateful to Chris for his discretion, (or was that a transgression) or perhaps he didn't notice it was a few minutes late. At the end of the day, it wasn't detrimental to anyone (I hope) and I was able to learn something from it, which I believe is the point of the forum.

Just out of interest, I couldn't see any late entries in the 1st challenge, so I don't know how late they were, but given that Millie had posted her results by 13:30, we can't be talking days? I take it they were physically removed.

Right, it's nearly midnight and I have an early start, so I'm off to bed thinking about water...Oh dear!!!!
    If cucumbers are meant to be cool, why do you rarely see any wearing sunglasses?
    Kit - Camera with bits to change on the front, flashy things, and other bits and bobs.

Comment

Nothing personal Robert (or to anyone else) but I am sure it would be nice if the time frame,set ,is adhered to. This in itself is a discipline- to get things done on time. I take part on the principle that it is better to take part rather than NOT take part at all. Digital photography is a new challenge for me and I am learning all the time, and also making many mistakes!

However, I must say that your rose was very very nice- quite sharp,clear and very vivid in it's colour.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Respectfully Nathaniel; If you want to push for a strict interpretation of the rules; (and as it happens - I support that - rules is rules after all...) you might care to review your own posts! They breach Rule 4 - 800px on the widest side! Your entry for #1 was 1023 and for #2 985!

Can we also post any other 'general commentary' in a seperate thread; and keep these 'challenge' threads clear of discussion apart from that directly related to the challenge?

MODS: As before; if you can move this and the last three posts to a NEW thread titled something like "Challenge Discussions" - that would be great... THANX...

HAPPY EASTER
        to all - don't eat too much chocolate!
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks for pointing it out. However,since I use photobucket (grateful thanks to you for teaching me how to transfer images into forum), I find that I have no control on the image size. You have to advise me again via a private message without cluttering up forum space, how to reduce the image. Having said that, I am more than happy to be disqualified if I breach any rule. After all rules are set for certain purposes.

I don't wish to cause any offence to anyone by the discussions that follow a forum challenege; helps to clarify matters. I fully agree that these discussions should be transferred to a separate thread within the forum challenege. I am sure that Andrew will oblige as always.

Comment

Nathaniel; PM sent...
            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thank you. I have seen it and will act.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertT View Post
                Point taken Nathaniel, although in my defence it wasn't for lack of trying... I did have an image uploaded to a forum album in time and was about to post with a minute or so to spare, however it reduced the file size from about 140kb to only 14kb and it looked awful in the preview. I then had to sort out a couple of issues with my ftp software before I could copy it to my own webspace so that I could link to it from there which is why I was about an hour late by the time it was actually posted. I don't

Yes rules are rules, but just as we have the rule of thirds, we don't always rigidly apply it. I see this as a bit of fun to test and develop my skills, to see if I can interprete something in a way that stands out, and to make me think about what and why I am taking an image.

Anyway, I am grateful to Chris for his discretion, (or was that a transgression) or perhaps he didn't notice it was a few minutes late. At the end of the day, it wasn't detrimental to anyone (I hope) and I was able to learn something from it, which I believe is the point of the forum.

Just out of interest, I couldn't see any late entries in the 1st challenge, so I don't know how late they were, but given that Millie had posted her results by 13:30, we can't be talking days? I take it they were physically removed.

Right, it's nearly midnight and I have an early start, so I'm off to bed thinking about water...Oh dear!!!!
                Chris. YOu will find the two disqualified as marked "sorry rule 3". See Millie's adjudication- one was mine!

Anyway, don't worry. These things happen in life and one must look at the cheerful,positive aspects of this challenege- take out your camera,put on your thinking cap and take a photo that fits the criteria.

Comment

I believe rule 3 "3. No old images – this would defeat the object of the challenge." which relates to images taken before the challenge was set and not when they were posted. Discipline is one thing, but so is discretion. I'm sure we would all be glad of a bit of discretion when we arrive at the car a couple of minutes late to find a traffic warden just about to get his pen out, or when the police clock you at 1 mph over the speed limit...!!!

Anyway, this is getting out of hand for the sake of a few minutes, so the sooner we can have a seperate thread, the better, then we can really get a good rant going , or just ignore that thread completely.

To get back on topic, I spent 3 hours surrounded by water today as I made my way across the minch on the ferry, and it felt a bit like it was "water water everywhere but not an image to be had..." I did shoot off a few frames, but you'll just have to wait and see if I use them
                  If cucumbers are meant to be cool, why do you rarely see any wearing sunglasses?
                  Kit - Camera with bits to change on the front, flashy things, and other bits and bobs.

Comment

I thought "old images" would include images taken outside of the time frame!! Anyway, this is not something to bother about now and lets get on with the next challenge.

Comment

To me, old usually means in the past, and to be extremely pedantic, mine was in fact taken within the time frame it was just a fraction late in being posted.

Comment

My understanding is once a time frame is set anything before or after that time period, becomes "old". Then the new time frame comes in for the next challenge. I was booked for driving at the fanstastic speed of 33mph on a 30mph stretch, and no discretion was allowed for my tearful pleading that I was only 3mph over the limit!!!! No discretion was allowed.

Anyway, this is a petty matter to rant about and lets think of the next challenge- Water, which gives a lot of scope. I hope there are several more entries.

Comment

Well you and I have a very different understanding of the reason for the rule. I think you'll find that the principal behind it was to stop people from using old photographs that happened to fit the theme rather than setting a strict time frame to be adhered to at all costs. The point of the exercise is to challenge people to actually go out and use a camera instead of searching their PC for something that fits. If it were a competition, then I think it would be a different, but it's something to try and inspire people to actually get out and take pictures. It did for me even with only an hour left to go. If we we get bogged down in rules, then no-one will bother with it. If there is a next time and I think I'm might be a little late, I'll post a blank message and then go back and edit it later. Either that, or I'll not bother posting it at all.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your fixed penalty for speeding and I can only suspect that there were other mitigating circumstances as I've not come across one for that speed in Scotland, other than in exceptional circumstances, such as outside a school or travelling through roadworks where there are workmen by the road. I'm also surprised that you resorted to 'tearful pleadings' given that you clearly accepted you had broken the rules. As you said yourseld "If there are rules let us stick by them..." so I would have thought that you would have been applauding the police for their strict enforcement of the rules.

Apologies to everyone else again for all this drivel for the sake of an hour, although you're all probably wetting yourself. I'm sure there'll be a final 'last word' on the matter, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
                            I was booked for driving at the fanstastic speed of 33mph on a 30mph stretch, and no discretion was allowed for my tearful pleading that I was only 3mph over the limit!!!! No discretion was allowed.
                            Nethaniel, The speed limit is not a target but a legal MAXIMUM. You were more than 10% over the limit so were breaking the law.
                            A murderer cannot plead "I only stabbed him a little" !
                            John

Comment

A storm in a tea cup

I though I would start a new thread relating to storms in a tea cup - aka - the challenge thread. So if anyone wants to 'discuss' perhaps here would be a good place, and the challenge part be left for photos, so it doesn't get cluttered with too many storms!
                              Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Working...
                              X