Challenge #90 "Summertime"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge #90 "Summertime"

The subject I have chosen is 'Summertime' - a theme that gives a tremendous scope of ideas -
    and it will soon be over! So it could be any image that immediately evokes a feeling of the summer season and all that it encompasses. So start shooting and post lots of entries, please, which I will do my best to judge!

The competition starts right away and finishes at midnight on Wednesday July 23rd, so 2 weekends in there plus an extra day!

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Re: Challenge #90 "Summertime"

Great subject and the chance for a huge choice of subject matter - I'm not going to have a lot of time as I'm away racing this weekend as well so I will start you off with a slight humorous one (well I thought so)

New grass cutting technique for summer 2014 sponsored by Smart

1Dmk4, 70-200 2.8 mk2 with 1.4 mk3 extender.
    1/320, f/7.1, iso 100, 280mm

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Lavender Harvest

Lavender harvest
      by AlexR!, on Flickr
      EOS 7D, EF 24-105
      f/14, 55mm, 1/50sec, ISO 200
      Taken 12 July 14
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Summer by colin.smith18, on Flickr

Taken at the Hampton Court flower festival on a hot day, this cool pool caught my eye. Taken on a Canon EOS 550D

Comment

"Cat Nap"

IMG_7754 abc.jpg
          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Just Hanging Around

IMG_7982 f.jpg

600D, 1/1000, f5.6, ISO 400, EF-S18-135mm @ 100mm, Manual focusing

Comment

I had hoped for a few more takers for this one - but it's a busy time of year - and maybe too hot for taking photos!!

Here are a few brief comments on the entries - just my persona thoughts, nothing very formal!

David's lawnmower was an amusing take on the subject and well taken, but it did need his explanation to make me realise the connection with Summertime!

Alex R - love this one, a great image, I love the lines of the stalks contrasting with the circles of the bunches and it is the epitome of Summertime

Colin Smith - this pool at Hampton Court is very restful and enticing on a warm day. Well taken, the reflection of the shrubs add interest!

Lunarbo - Cat Nap - well seen and taken and a great portrayal of the subject!

Opifex - bee on lavender - hits the nail on the head subject wise, but I do find the background rather distracting - maybe a closer crop would help

I will just nominate a 1st and 2nd as there are so few entries and my choice is Lunarbo's Cat Nap in 2nd place, with Alex R's Lavender in 1st place.

Well done Alex - over to you for the next subject!!

Comment

Hi Diana,

Thanks for judging and your kind comments.

And congratulations to Alex for his splendid entry, a worthy winner.
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Well done all and Diana for setting subject and judging. Sorry I couldn't take part but unable to post process anything or upload as on hols.

Looking forward to the next challenge.
                  Andy
                  Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                  EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                  [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Thanks for the challenge and Its a little disappointing that so few people entered (I know how you feel) Mine was just to get the ball rolling, being out racing so much I don't get a lot of time to get out for anything else during the week due to the 'day job' getting in the way.

Alex - Superb photo and knew it was set for the top as soon as I saw it, beautiful subject taken really well. Bravo sir

.DAVID.
                    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Diana, thanks for setting a great topic and judging, and for your kind words. Yes, it is disappointing that there weren't more entries, but it does seem to have been generally quiet around the forum in recent weeks. Hopefully it'll pick up again over the summer. If I can think of a topic I'll put it up tomorrow. But well done to everyone who did enter, a nice range again.
                      Thanks also to others for their comments on my entry. We visit the Mayfield lavender fields near Banstead every year so I have to find a slightly different angle every time, so I was so pleased to see this pile of harvested bunches in a quiet corner. I did really like the variety of textures.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Many thanks Diana for setting and judging. I was surprised by the small number of entries but maybe everyone is too busy getting ready for holidays.

Congratulations Alex and good luck with organising the next challenge.

Graham.

Comment

Working...
                        X