SHOWCASE 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SHOWCASE 2015

Speaking as a fairly longstanding member but one who rarely posts, who would be entitled to vote. If you're going to have a minimum number
    of posts to enter, should you have the same qualification to vote?

John

Comment

I would like to see voting open to all, irrespective of posting count..

Last year it was hard work to get people voting and it should be rule if you submit images you have to vote, hopefully those that don't submit work will still get involved
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I don't know if I should throw my two penneth worth in as I basically don't contribute, as ive taken time out.. I agree there should be a black and white section possibly a beginner for those with limited novice skill or post processing ability. As for people entering a limit of 10 minimum over 12mths and a lower limit of 2mths membership before you can enter and the dates of pics submitted with the comp pic.

Comment

I don't agree with beginner as that would be extremely hard to manage and you have to remember another member is just doing this here to help others collate showcase work, I really think it needs to be as simple as possible, min posting count 10, member before XYZ date and thats it

Agree on the B&W section, way too many good B&W photos submitted to lumped into a section with others

I do think if you submit images you have to vote, if you don't vote your images are removed

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I absolutely agree with Tigger to keep it simple, and to restrict entry to the simple criteria of: EOS camera, taken in 2015, member joined before 1 Dec 2015 and to have made at least 10 posts.
            I accept the rationale for all who enter to vote, but to be honest that won't stop someone who wants to skew the system to do so by, say choosing to vote for images they think no one else will (i.e.like one of mine ) or by giving all of their 'top scores' to categories they hadn't entered. Plus the policing of it and then Andy having to remove some images that have already been voted for is a bit of faff I'm sure he can do without.
            I do agree with adding a mono category. But when I went back to look at the categories something else struck me, which is the placing of HDR into the 'techniques' category. Is this still correct? For me, HDR is now simply a standard option in processing rather than something special. I think most of the HDR images that I see on here should be judged within their thematic category of landscape etc. I wouldn't want to consign them all to a sub category. To my mind the remaining 'techniques' such as colour popping and IR might be better described in a category of 'Digital Art' or into Anything Else.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

OK, I want to draw this discussion to a close soon in preparation for the main event :).

As such, please can I have comments on the following suggested rules / categories:

Rules:
              Entry:

1. You must be a registered user of the eos-magazine-forum with an overall total minimum post count of 10 as at 30 November 2015.

2. Photos must have been taken (dated in EXIF) between 1st January 2015 and 31st December 2015 inclusive and arrive in the organisers inbox (entry details to be advised soon) before midnight on the Sunday 10th January 2015 (UK time).

3. You must be the photographer who created the image(s) and have all relevant permissions for the picture to be published publically in order to enter the challenge, and all entries must be visibly anonymous (No water marks or distinguishing features)

4. You must ensure your images are a maximum of 1024 pixels along its widest/longest edge, be in Jpeg format and the file size must not exceed 1 Meg (the EXIF data must be intact so that this can be verified by the organiser)

5. Entries should contain no watermarks, distinguishing effects or borders, and must have been taken using a Canon EOS camera.

6. Images should be sent to the organiser at the entry email address when announced and you must indicate in the email (a) your real name, (b) your forum name and (c) a title for each of your photos and (d) which category each of your photos are entered into. Please put “EOS Photos 2015” in the email subject line. It is your responsibility to ensure your pictures meet the minimum requirements and information - Any entries that are not clearly identifiable and verifiable will not be entered into the challenge without explanation.

7. The organiser may also enter the challenge (the entries are anonymous and the organiser is trusted to record votes accurately).

8. Up to five entries are permitted for this challenge, but only TWO can be in the same category. If after entering you want to withdraw an entry, or replace it, this is allowed providing it is done before the closing date for entry and you make it clear in an email to the challenge organiser what you want doing - so ensure the email contains clear instructions and (if required) your replacement picture.

9. If you enter, you MUST vote - failure to vote during the vote period will incur a ten point penalty on each of your entries so this could jeoparise your chance of winning.

10. The organisers decision is final - this competition is being held in good spirit and for fun, with a small prize offered. The organiser will not entertain or reply to any disputes, arguments or disagreements during or after the competition. Basically, if the organiser no longer finds the competition fun, it will be cancelled :)

Categories:

•Landscape photography - Landscapes, seascapes and the urban landscape.

•People and portraits - Portraits, travel and street photography.

•Nature photography - Animals, flowers and other living things.

•Sport and action photography - All sports and action.

•Transport - Cars, bikes, ships, boats, planes, etc.

•Macro photography - Close-ups of any subject.

•Black and white only.

•HDR, Colour Popping, Infra Red and any other photographic 'technique'

•Anything else, that does not fall into above categories.
              Andy
              Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
              EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
              [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

That sounds very fair to me Andy you have my vote.
                A very big Thank you for taking on the duties of organising the Showcase again this year.

Comment

If you enter, you MUST vote - failure to vote during the vote period will incur a ten point penalty on each of your entries so this could jeoparise your chance of winning.
                  agree on all other than 9 - if you enter you have to vote

Comment

Just one small query, do the entries have to be anonymous in the metadata? I ask because my club has recently been told off by a judge because some of the entries (including mine) included ID information in the copyright section which had been inserted in every image by the camera

Comment

In my view if you are going to enter the Showcase, you should enter into the spirit of the event and vote, this also generates a spirit of fair play.
                      I really can't see why voting for other members work should be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                        Originally posted by Wrinklyrocker View Post
                        In my view if you are going to enter the Showcase, you should enter into the spirit of the event and vote, this also generates a spirit of fair play.
                        I really can't see why voting for other members work should be a problem.
                        I agree with the comments above, you MUST vote or entires disqualified.

Aside from that, I concur with everything else Andy. And thanks again for taking this on for the second year
                        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by RogerMac View Post
                          Just one small query, do the entries have to be anonymous in the metadata? I ask because my club has recently been told off by a judge because some of the entries (including mine) included ID information in the copyright section which had been inserted in every image by the camera
                          Only visibly anonymous Roger so you do not need to worry about removing information within the metadata - it is just no watermarks / signatures should appear on the image itself.
                          Andy
                          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                            In line of other comments, how about:

9. If you enter, you HAVE TO vote - failure to vote will result in your entries being disqualified.
                            Andy
                            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
                              In line of other comments, how about:

9. If you enter, you HAVE TO vote - failure to vote will result in your entries being disqualified.
                              100% agree with that Andy.
                              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
                                Only visibly anonymous Roger so you do not need to worry about removing information within the metadata - it is just no watermarks / signatures should appear on the image itself.
                                Thanks for the clarification. As soon as the entry criteria are finalised I will enter

Roger

Comment

Working...
                                X