Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question re Forum Photo Challenge Rules

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
    Ok Garry so EOS refers to how electronics achieves reliable autofocus. Got it.

So..................don't all modern cameras do this? Compacts/M3/ smart phones?

Any geeks out there can help us?

Before EOS cameras, the linkage between the lens and the camera in interchangeable-lens cameras was mechanical, a system which dated back many years. When the first EOS camera was appeared in 1987 it introduced the EF lens mount. This uses electrical contacts in the camera body and at the rear of the lens to transmit data. The contacts also transmit power - there is no battery in the lens to operate the focusing or aperture, it all comes from the camera battery.

It is this electrical connection between the camera and lens which gives us the 'electro-optical' part of the EOS name. However, EOS is also a brand name. PowerShots are not EOS cameras.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Ah Robert, thanks for popping over from behind the bar in the EOS Pub to help us out here.

That's clearer now -keeping things really simple Detachable lenses = EOS cameras

So - just need TonyT to talk us through "the Wet Brigade" as I have no idea what he means!

Then it's down to making 1 of 3 choices:-

1. Keep as is- DSLR only
      2. Add in M3 so - All EOS cameras
      3. Open to all Canon cameras no matter what kind
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

The last thing I wanted to do was to start a "problem" with my suggestion.

So, I looked at the Canon site and Cameras and found that:
        Some Canon cameras are EOS xxxD (x may be 1,2,or 3 numbers), EOS M xx (x may be 3, 5, or 10 or just M for the first of the M series) and that they all have interchangeable lens facility.
        Other Canon cameras eg IXUS, PowerShot etc do not have EOS in their name and have fixed lens.

So the competition should be for Canon EOS Cameras which is the same as the requirement to post images etc on the forum.

ROBERT please correct me if I am wrong with this.

My original thought was that EOS Mx users should not feel "left out" of the Photo Challenge.
        Last edited by djguk47; 27-09-2016, 16:51.
        David

Comment

Wet brigade I mean as in film cameras that are developed in chemicals, hence wet brigade :)
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

So, I looked at the Canon site and Cameras and found that:
            Some Canon cameras are EOS xxxD (x may be 1,2,or 3 numbers), EOS M xx (x may be 3, 5, or 10 or just M for the first of the M series) and that they all have interchangeable lens facility.
            Other Canon cameras eg IXUS, PowerShot etc do not have EOS in their name and have fixed lens.

So the competition should be for Canon EOS Cameras which is the same as the requirement to post images etc on the forum.
            Do you not think Ixus, Powershot etc should be able to take part, after all we do have a section on the site for compacts, so they are part and parcel of the site, and let's face it to produce a superb image using a compact can require a greater skill and understanding of the camera to pull it off.
            Last edited by TonyT; 27-09-2016, 17:05.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Good point. I missed that as I never wander on over there.
              Makes you wonder why the competition rules stated DSLR then.
              David

Comment

It was probably before they all came out.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                  It was probably before they all came out.
                  No because they were around when the competition actually started as it started just after I joined the forum and PowerShots and Ixus were definitely available then.
                  curious and curiouser
                  David

Comment

Maybe the compacts section was added to the site after the completion rules were formed

Comment

Wet brigade I mean as in film cameras that are developed in chemicals, hence wet brigade :)
                      Thanks Tony. I now understand. Are there any wets left out there? Over here my " wet" friend has finally bit the bullet and bought digital as she cannot buy film here.........mind you this is litl'ole' Menorca

OK seems we need to think about:-

1. Keep as is- DSLR only
                      I'll let others ponder on this, I'm off to have my supper !

Comment

I think the clues we need to solve this riddle are available to us.

This the Canon EOS Magazine forum (and I have noted that Robert is keen to emphasise this distinction)
                        The xDxx series cameras are EOS cameras
                        The M series cameras are EOS cameras

Ergo - all EOS cameras should be eligible for the challenge.

I cannot see what other logical (as opposed to being based on personal preference or an individual's model ownership) case can be supported.

(Declaration of interest - I own both a 5D3 and an M3)
                        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

The rules were set when Millie was an active member. Anyone still remembers her? It was she who started this competition some years ago.
                          To attract a wider numbher of members to this competition I would like to see the rules changed to "All Canon cameras", which would cover compact cameras as well.
                          Last edited by Nathaniel; 28-09-2016, 08:55.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I own both a 5D3 and an M3

Nice John, but what's your car got to do with it

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                              Nice John, but what's your car got to do with it
                              If complete disclosure is needed, I must also confess to 2 Morris Minors and 2 Ferguson TE20 tractors
                              Last edited by John Liddle; 28-09-2016, 09:08. Reason: typo
                              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

1. Keep as is- DSLR only
                                Since I am temporarily in the judge's chair can we move forward with this?

General consensus of opinion seems to be that we should certainly change the rules to include M series cameras as these are EOS cameras on what is our EOS Forum. No-one in the replies generated on this post has argued against this proposal.

I totally take on board that we could include all Canon Cameras both to encourage more entries and to demonstrate that these cameras do test our skills with often stunning results. We have some in favour and some against this suggestion.

My proposal is that as we are an EOS forum that we keep it at present as just EOS cameras and that if members feel strongly enough to include Compacts they discuss it on here........ they may for instance want other rules or a separate challenge.

Thoughts please?

Comment

Working...
                                X