Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Challenge No. 17

Forum Challenge No. 17

Many of you may have seen a photo reproduced in papers all over the world arising out of our financial woes here in Ireland. That of a beggar at the side of the pavement as the reps from the IMF walk past. (in passing I feel I should say that the beggar in question is not Irish, came here some years ago and was subsequently joined by his brother, both of whom are 'professional' but it surely made the point.)

It inspires my choice. A tricky one - Wealth:Poverty. At this time of year when the contrast between feasting indoors and so much hardship outdoors it seems appropriate. As before, Millie's rules apply. Get to it.

Runs 4th to 16th December.
    Garrett
    (confused but trying hard!)
    Last edited by ax2010@eircom.net; 05-12-2010, 15:07. Reason: link appears to be broken; not inserted by me in first place.
    Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Re: Forum Challenge No. 17

Oh well, someone has to be first! Found it hard to think of something and am just about to rush off for birth of new grandchild, so came up with this!

Rich lunch, poor lunch.

Comment

Thank goodness there's one brave person. Welcome to the new grandchild; I hope things go well.
      Garrett

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Here's my attempt ................... Rich Monkeh ............... Poor Monkeh

Last edited by X-ray-spex; 10-12-2010, 20:24.
        Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Aaaah!!
          A difficult one this...
          I planned to submit a photo of a Big Issue seller against the backdrop of one of Birmingham's most expensive hotels, and accordingly went in with my camera gear.
          However, crowds for the annual German Market made shooting impossible, and during the time I had there the seller was knocking back a can of lager and smoking a fag..... Not the picture I wanted.......
          So, no entry submitted for this one, but could I have a couple of points for the concept??
          Tongue in cheek, of course.
          Cheers, Chris.
          PS - obviously, had I got the shot I would have bought a Big Issue.
          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Come on everyone .............. only two entries ........... only two days to go ........... get shooting ..........................
            Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

There will be another, it's in the planning!!!

I too had the Big Issue idea and in fact have got some shots from last week in Lincoln in front of M&S, cost me a Seven Quid in the end, £5 to pose and £2 for a Big Issue!!! but I don't like the shots, even thoughto be honest he came across as a nice guy and he had a sorry looking Dog, mind you it was Minus 7!!!

Paul

Comment

Hello All,

As said above, I had a shot in the planning for the Competition, very poor day,certainly not good photography weather, low cloud, miserable, rain, wind and very cold indeed, I felt very sorry for the Men in the Pic, as you can probably tell, all of different Nationalities and not all with proper waterproof clothing, all brought to the fields of Lincolnshire by "Poverty" in their Homelands, working for "Wealthy" Gangmasters, the less scrupulous of which pay a pittance to these poor people. We witnessed them eating lunch sat on wooden boxes in the middle of the field around a brazier, makes you realise how lucky we are!!!

Paul
                Last edited by pelliott1954; 17-12-2010, 17:33.

Comment

Here you go Garrett, couldn't let this go by without at least a small attempt at it!
                  not a bad topic I say. doesn't do any harm to provoke a little thought, so here goes. My interpretation for your topic . . . .

David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                  All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Photo Challenge 17
                    Here goes, folks. Hope I get it right. As has been said before, it’s just an opinion.

In order of submission of entries:

DianaS – Rich lunch, poor lunch
                    Interpretation – 7
                    I think I had in mind a more intense poverty.
                    Exposure & Technical Execution - 10
                    Pretty well perfect. The focus is dead sharp and the capture
                    particularly of the delicate china on the ‘rich’ side is great.
                    Composition - 8
                    There is something of a split personality here largely
                    because of the split in the base; hard to get the centre point.
                    X-ray-spex – Rich Monkeh……………..Poor Monkeh
                    Interpretation – 8
                    I like the humour in this but I feel that the Rich Monkeh and
                    the Poor Monkeh look equally well fed!
                    Exposure & Technical Execution – 8
                    The blue of the Monkehs’ clothes is probably just right but
                    the blue of the £20 notes in the foreground seems a little
                    washed out.
                    Composition – 8
                    There’s a good strong diagonal running bottom left to top
                    right which holds it all together but the triangles of material in
                    the top corners are a distraction. If the rule of thirds applies
                    here the Rich M is certainly the focus but that’s life!
                    Pelliot1954 – Foreign Workers
                    Interpretation – 10
                    I think this is terrific; it exactly catches the glaring disparity
                    that I had in mind.
                    Exposure & Technical Execution – 9
                    Not by any means perfect but, given the weather and lighting
                    conditions and the fact that the weather is an integral part of
                    the message here, I think it’s pretty good. Perhaps a little
                    paring down on the overall blue cast would have helped.
                    Composition – 8
                    It’s hard to see a definite composition type here. The subject
                    is a composite one and the dispersed centres of interest
                    invite us to look at each of the workers in turn rather than
                    concentrate on one central figure.
                    Pinkeez – Caviar
                    Interpretation – 7
                    I hope I’m not treading on any commercial corns here but I
                    think that to make the point strongly by this formula one
                    should be looking a caviar from Harrods or Fortnum & Mason
                    rather than from ASDA.
                    Exposure & Technical Execution – 9
                    Really good. The green is spot on and the metallic nature of
                    the tin is captured perfectly. A slight lightening of the
                    background would have thrown the far rim of the tin into
                    greater relief.
                    Composition – 9
                    The triangular composition is really strong. My own
                    preference would have been to move all to the left so as to
                    include the whole burgers
                    Pelliot and Chris J – Big Issues
                    What a pity neither of these resulted in an entry. I think the idea is terrific.
                    Well done to both for Interpretation. My own dog Max has instructed me that,
                    for reasons of canine solidarity, Pelliot must be awarded a Bonio for effort.

So there you have it. Pelliot not only gets the top score but also a Bonio any time he cares to drop by and collect. Well done Paul.
                    Now it's over to you.
                    Garrett

Comment

Congratulations Paul, well deserved.

Thanks for the high mark Garrett. I have to admit, when I saw my entry again last night I thought it was a bit of a "happy snap" so to get 25/30 for it I am very happy!
                      I did try to find an "up market" version to put along side my tin, but to no avail, so decided to try the irony of a supposed "Smart Price" Caviar.

I have to say I thought the idea for this competition was a good one Garrett, I think the time of year conspired against you a bit with everyone being so busy.

Well done Paul, looking forward to the next challenge
                      David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                      All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Well done Paul - thought it really conveyed the feeling of the unpleasantness of a poorly paid, manual job. Especially since we used to grow leeks and stopped because I hate digging them up in the cold and wet!!
                        Look forward to hearing your subject for the next challenge - warm sunny beach, maybe???

Comment

Well done Paul

Tough assignement, but a worthy shot.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Thank You Garrett, David, Diana and Colin for your kind words, they were very gratefully received, the benefit of this sort of feedback for us newcomers to the hobby should not be underestimated.
                            It is something to fall back on when we are struggling and feel our pic's are always a letdown when compared with others.

So, for all those experienced members out there, please keep up the encouragement of newcomers.

In regard to the comp, I feel sorry for Garrett that there were only 4 entries, maybe as David said, the season and the inclement weather played a part.

As said on a previous post, Sue and I had the idea initially of Pic's of a Big Issue Seller, then we tried to get a friend of ours to dress as a Tramp, but he wouldn't, we then came up with the idea of the Land workers, who we see regularly when taking a drive, we wanted some Brussell Pickers but came across the Guys Cutting Leeks, there were many more of them than shown in the pic, lots did not have suitable clothing and all looked to be in abject misery!!!

We got some very strange looks from them as they spotted the Camera and long lens pointing in their direction and they looked to have very sharp knives!!!!, so as you can imagine the shot was not taken from a carefully placed tripod, it was taken very quickly from our car window!!!
                            As you said Garrett, the shot does have a Blue tinge to it but the light was very strange indeed at the time, dull, misty, wet and downright miserable.

Anyway, enough said, thanks again for an interesting and thought provoking competition and everyone for the kind words.

Next Comp will be posted shortly

Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X