Comment

Re: Forum Challenge 26 "Film Titles"

The Black Cat - 1981

ef-r

Comment

Pointsare awarded in the following areas

Interpretation. (max 10 points)
        Technical execution & exposure. (max 10 points)
        Composition (max 10 points)

Sorry dueto my waffle and posting restrictions the results will come in ~3 posts

RevvinKevin From Here to Eternity

Interpretation 9
        Great idea well thought out and executed, works well inB&W
        Technicalexecution & exposure 9
        Wellexecuted to get enough detail in the word HERE whilst having the keeping theGarmin screen in focus. I am not sure if there has been some post processing toadd a second image for the sign in the background but it works
        Composition 7
        Love theidea it works well with the bottom left to top right diagonal my main issue isthe big white reflection in the mirror which drags my eye to that spot eachtime I look at the picture. I think that if you could possibly have angles themirror to reflect some foliage it would have been better. Probably a painriding the bike home though
        Total 25

Chris J BrassedOff
        Interpretation 8
        Nice idea well spotted and I agree that the folks do tend tolook Brassed Off
        Technicalexecution & exposure 7
        Difficultto get this shot correctly exposed all the way from one end to the other withbright sun at one end and shadow at the other. I am not sure where the exactpoint of focus was on the image as on my monitor most of the people andplatform signage look a little soft with the family on the far left being burntout in the sun.
        Composition 6
        Ipersonally would have looked at cropping the barrels out of the foreground, I don’tfeel that they add anything, I find them to be a small distraction. As the lightwas so strong and burning out the roof structure on the left I would have beeninclined to crop the image to make it a letterbox format putting the focus onthe people.
        Total 21

Ax2010 The Sea
        Interpretation 9
        Definitely lives up to the title, works well in B&W
        Veryturbulent sea and horrible weather making the shot difficult to get. I wouldhave liked a little more detail in the wall on the bottom left, it may be therain but the structures in the centre of the picture on my monitor look verysoft which I feel detracts from the picture
        Composition 7
        Igenerally like the Composition with the seas rolling in from the right, the onething that IMHO detracts is the large dark wall in the bottom left, if this hadbeen lighter I feel it would have been better.
        Total 23

Dorsetshaun Stone
        Interpretation 9
        It certainly is a stone which lives up to the name of thefilm
        TheFlickr version of this image looks much sharper than the posted version. I feelthat a smaller aperture would have thrown the background more out of focus, forme there is too much detail in the trees
        Composition 6
        Ipersonally would have looked at moving to the right to take the picture in an attemptto hide the large tree trunk behind the statue and further enhance the shadow.I think that this would have also moved the top of the statue away from thedistracting branches which are quite bright behind it.
        Total 22

DianaS DrivingMiss Daisy
        Interpretation 9
        Great concept and well put together
        Technicalexecution & exposure 8
        Nice useof depth of field to throw the background OOF, it looks to be very harsh lightingwhich has resulted in very black shadows, I wonder if a little infill flash wouldhave helped soften these
        Composition 7
        Wellthought out but IMHO is let down a little by the placement of the car. I feel thatif the car had been positioned a little further into the image with some space Infront and under the front wheel it would have been a stronger image as the carwould appear to have space to drive into.
        Total 24

Comment

Part 2

rajjayaraj TheCrystal Ball
          Interpretation 8
          I have given this an 8 for Interpretation as for me the balldoesn’t completely imply ‘Crystal’ due to the coating on its surface.
          Nice useof DOF but I feel that a little more would have given that extra little bit ofsharpness to the top of the ball which I feel would have improved the o/a picture.I find the shadow and surface of the ball a little too dark hiding some of thefiner details, maybe a reflector in front of and to the right of the ball would have provided a little more light inthe dark areas enhancing the details.
          Composition 7
          I likethe way the sun is shining through the ball and the green light is focused on thewooden surface. As noted above I feel that the shadows are too dark, I alsofeel that the dark piece of grain, bottom left and dark area top right are alittle distracting. These could I think have been cropped out which wouldimproved the overall picture
          Total 23

Malkie9 TheSwan
          Interpretation 9
          Yep this is a Swan as per the title
          Wellexposed, the whites have been controlled nicely, the water has lots of detail withthe darks not completely blocked out
          Composition 8
          Very nicediagonal flow to the picture, my only real niggle is the light spot on edge ofthe picture directly above the swan, I feel that a very small crop would have removedthis and improved the picture as my eye keeps going to this light spot.
          Total 26

Mark TheLast Hurdle
          Interpretation 9
          Again the picture tells the story
          Verysharp on the hurdler and hurdle with the background nicely OOF
          Composition 8
          Greataction shot but the competitor to the left in the blue / white strip I find distractingas my eye keeps being pulled there. I personally feel that the image Is muchstronger if it is cropped to a square format
          Total 26

mammarazzi 101Dalmations
          Interpretation 9
          Not quite 101 but definitely 3
          Focus ison the dogs and they look sharp to me and the background is nicely OOF, I dohowever find the image a little on the dark side I feel that it could do with alittle more brightness and possibly a little more contrast to lift it.
          Composition 7
          You havesomehow managed to cut off part of the poor dogs tail, possibly because youcouldn’t get far enough back, I would have liked to have seen the picture takenfrom a little lower down if possible as I feel I am looking down on the dogs.If you had a chance it would have been better if the bright yellowish dead leaveshad been removed.
          Total 24

mikep It’sa Dog’s life
          Interpretation 9
          And she certainly is living up to the title
          Onceagain the Flickr image I feel is sharper than the one posted, I feel that the harshsun has burnt out the whites a little and the shadow has blocked out the dark coloursparticularly around the dogs head
          Composition 7
          As withmammarazzi’s picture I would have preferred a lower angle on the dog and Iwould have removed the single red poppy as I find it keeps catching my eye.
          Total 24

richysticky StarWars
          Interpretation 9
          Great concept certainly hitsthe mark
          Greatangle on the model, nicely controlled exposure keeping details in the Lego pieces.I would have preferred a little more DOF if possible just to get the left handwing tips in focus
          Composition 9
          Lovelyangle on the model with plenty of space in all the right places. I find the verticallines in the background are a shame, I think if they had been cloned out itwould have improved the picture.
          Total 26

Comment

3rd and final part

Mikehope Thetree of life
            Interpretation 9
            Again the name says it all
            Verydifficult to take this kind of picture when you have a very dark trunk and areshooting directly into the sun. I find the trunk a little too dark at thebottom possibly some fill flash or reflector would have lifted this and thenallowed you darken down the foliage a little as I find this a little too light.It is a shame that you have somerefraction from the lens in the top left hand side.
            Composition 7
            For methe tree trunk is too central in the frame I feel that it either needs to be movedover to the left or run on to nearer the top of the picture. The Sun burst wouldhave been nicer and I feel more effective if you could have somehow positioned yourselfto have this nearer the top of the tree
            Total 23

briansquibb TheBlack Cat
            Interpretation 9
            Definitely a Black Cat
            I feelthat this is a technically competent image. The image looks as if it was sharp andcorrectly exposed before it was manipulated in post processing to achieve thefinal offering.
            Composition 7
            I think Iunderstand what you were trying to achieve but sorry somehow for me thetreatment oesn’t work,
            Total 25

Summary
            RevvinKevin From Here to Eternity 25
            Chris J BrassedOff 21
            Ax2010 The Sea 23
            Dorsetshaun Stone 22
            DianaS DrivingMiss Daisy 24
            rajjayaraj TheCrystal Ball 23
            Malkie9 TheSwan 26
            Mark TheLast Hurdle 26
            mammarazzi 101Dalmations 24
            mikep It’sa Dog’s life 24
            richysticky StarWars 26
            Mikehope Thetree of life 23
            briansquibb TheBlack Cat 25

So we have a draw between Malkie9, Mark and richysticky but wecan only have one winner and simply based on the fact that I apreciate the effort that has gone into this and I like the picture best I am going to choose richysticky

Over to you richysticky to set and judge the next challenge.
            Last edited by Muscat; 01-06-2011, 16:14.

Comment

Congrats to Richysticky - I liked that as soon as I saw it, simple, yet effective and well executed.

Well done also to Muscat for the judging, and for the quick posting of the comprehensive results!

Again, I'm happy to be in the middle of the results, as I dread actually winning and having to set and judge the next one!

Well done everyone, I thought that was a good comp, with some great entries... it's a shame that - like the film Highlander - "there can be only one" winner!

All the best, Mike.
              flickr
              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Well I think that two congratulations are in order here....

First..... Congratulations to richysticky

Second..... Congratulations to Muscat for setting a good challenge and great analysis of the entries.

David
                David

Comment

Congratulations to Richysticky on a well deserved win
                  and a big THANK YOU to Muscat for making this an interesting challenge.

Muscat, you were not the only one to point out the large area of nothing in the mirror, but as I see it, at Eternity there is nothing else, however someone suggested filling the mirror with another image. I chose an image from my files and but as this was taken outside of the challenge dates I chose to post the original.
                  Oh, and the 6am ride to Hereford to take the photo was chilly but enormously enjoyable.

Muscat, is this more in line with your thoughts on the mirror? I chose this as a representation of death....ie Eternity

From here to Eternity 3 by RevvinKevin, on Flickr

Looking forward to the next challenge.............
                  Struggling with technology.......................

Comment

Well done Richysticky and well done Muscat. It was a subject that really made us think and stretch. Thanks Muscat for your comments on mine. At the time I took that picture we were have a hurricane (yes, a genuine Beaufort wind scale hurricane) the only time I've ever seen the phenomenon. Holding the camera steady was out of the question. I had to stand behind the offending wall in order to be able to stand. It was an interesting experience.
                    Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Originally posted by RevvinKevin View Post
                      Muscat, you were not the only one to point out the large area of nothing in the mirror, but as I see it, at Eternity there is nothing else, however someone suggested filling the mirror with another image. I chose an image from my files and but as this was taken outside of the challenge dates I chose to post the original.
                      Oh, and the 6am ride to Hereford to take the photo was chilly but enormously enjoyable.

Muscat, is this more in line with your thoughts on the mirror? I chose this as a representation of death....ie Eternity
                      Hi yes that is much better and sorry for getting you up so early but I think this image proves that it was worth it, well done.

Comment

Congrats Richy, well done and look forward to your challenge.
                        Thanks Muscat I was amazed by my score as it was a last minute thing, just something I photographed that day and a film title popped up in my mind. P.S. She hadn't given birth to the other 99 when I saw her ;)

Joanne
                        To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                          Hi yes that is much better and sorry for getting you up so early but I think this image proves that it was worth it, well done.
                          Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated
                          Struggling with technology.......................

Comment

Well done Richysticky, as others have said, I liked this right from the start, and to Muscat for the challenge and some excellent points and comments in his review of all the shots.

Comment

Well done Richysticky - now lets have your subject for the next one :)
                              ef-r

Comment

Congratulations Richysticky and thank you Muscat for the feedback, mine was just taken as an interesting image, then I thought of entering it.

Comment

Working...
                                X