No announcement yet.

Forum Challenge No 28 "Opposites attract" Sun 19th June to Saturday 2nd July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Challenge No 28 "Opposites attract" Sun 19th June to Saturday 2nd July

Competition runs from Sunday 19th June to midnight Saturday 2nd July.

What do I mean by "Opposites attract?"

Well, think of phrases and words at complete ends of the spectrum such as

Hot and cold
    Black and white
    Cat and dog
    Oil and water....that sort of thing
    That's the opposites...

Now the attracts bit

Bringing two polar extremes together in photographic harmony
    Obvious ones would be, for example, cats and dogs NOT fighting, Sunshine on a rainy day. You get the idea.

I hope this gets everyones grey matter churning. Good luck to everyone!!

1.The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition
    who will also judge the competition.
    2.The period of the competition shall be 14 days and the judge will state the start and
    finish dates.
    3.One Picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    4.Please use a Canon DSLR.
    5.Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any
    images submitted that were taken before the competition started will be deemed
    invalid.
    6.Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    7.No Photoshop frames and borders.
    8.Include a brief description, and title; the image must convey the theme without title
    description.
    9. Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    10.No canvassing eg “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you
    think?”
    11.The guest ‘judge’ will pick 1st 2nd 3rd favourite images (Please don’t PM them to
    discuss their choices).
    Struggling with technology.......................

Re: Forum Challenge No 28 "Opposites attract" Sun 19th June to Saturday 2nd July

Fire and water

Comment

Re: Forum Challenge No 28 "Opposites attract" Sun 19th June to Saturday 2nd July

HOT AND COLD

Hot and Cold by shaun19613
      CANON 1000D EF-S18-55MM f/3.5-5.6: EF 75-300MM F/4-5.6

Comment

Canon and Nikon...
        This is me, an avid Canon user, having been attracted to a Nikon.... or so I thought....
        It invited me to caress its body, hold it tight, and press all its buttons, but the attraction just wasn't there - it left me cold....

Of course, I should be disqualified as I didn't take the shot - although my 50D did. My thanks to the bemused Nikon user who obliged whilst we were queuing to get our young companions a go on the model boats at the Hollowell Steam Fair this afternoon.

No enthusiasms for Canon were harmed in the making of this post.

Cheers, Chris.
        Last edited by Chris J; 02-07-2011, 19:59.
        Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Black and White

Comment

Thank you to Muscat, Shaun, Chris and Diana for taking the time to enter this challenge. Frankly I'm very disappointed with the poor showing, but I will put it down to people being on holiday rather than suspect we have a bunch of uncreative, unimaginative people lurking round the site.

I imagined people would have a field day coming up with juxtaposing, for example, Christianity and Islam, Good and evil, beauty and the beast, life and death, up and down, the potential was almost limitless.

Diana, just how long did you have to wait for that cow to do that? The white in the cow looks very blue, I dropped this into DPP and used the eyedropper on a bit of white which improved it and made the grass a little greener.

Chris, you are a cheeky fella! But I'm not going to disqualify you as the rules say taken with a Canon and taken within the time limit of the challenge.

Muscat, I like this. Flames hold a certain hypnotic fascination. I can lose myself in their motion and you have captured enough movement but kept enough clarity to make this interesting.

But my winner is Dorsetshaun. This is something I would be happy to hang on my wall. I love the puddle with the highlights, I love the detail in the ice. I like the composition.

So, well done Shaun, thank you Diana, Muscat and Chris.
            Struggling with technology.......................

Comment

Thank you, i must agree though i would have thought many more would have entered this one as it was a very creative title.
              The picture was quite challenging, certainly getting the flame, originally i experimented with bbq fluid, ( my wifes face was a picture!) but in the end i cut the end off a candle and surrounded it with ice cubes.
              I didn't play around with photoshop with it, apart from cropping it, as i am one of those that don't agree with too much use if it, although that is more because i don't fully understand it!!
              Anyway i guess it's my turn next...
              CANON 1000D EF-S18-55MM f/3.5-5.6: EF 75-300MM F/4-5.6

Comment

Thanks, RevvinK!
                I thought this would be an easy one, but I did find this the most challenging of all the challenges so far! I was waiting for a trip to our local Jade Wok restaurant so I could produce a shot of "sweet and sour", or looking in the garden for a right-binding runner bean climbing up a left-binding one.... Was not to be, so produced my "Nikon" shot in a bit of a panic on the last afternoon. Thanks for not disqualifying me. Likewise would have expected more submissions but as I said, this was quite difficult.
                Cheers, Chris.
                Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Thanks for judging RevvinKevin and well done to DorsetShaun

Comment

Well done Dorsethaun and thanks for the comments Revvink! The calf was very cooperative and did tha almost right away and also away from all it's brown sisters and brothers. Will have a go with the eyedropper tool - never tried that. The grass here is that colour -no rain!!

Comment

Well done to everyone who entered and congratulations to Dorsethaun
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Congrats Dorsetshaun for a great shot, and well done RK for setting and judging - both daunting tasks!

Shame I could not find enough time to be creative for this one, but work and family commitments dictated otherwise... nothing personal!

Hope to find things more manageable for the next comp!

All the best, Mike.
                        flickr
                        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Other hobbies and a complete lack of inspiration in the time I had got in the way of an entry - a clever subject outwitted a number of us. Plus when I did think of something, 'hot and cold' had already been done better than I could have managed!

Excellent winning shot.
                          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
                          X