No announcement yet.

Challenge 171 - Creatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see it now so must be fixed. :D - dont forget a share of the spoils if you win now LOL :D
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Indiana

http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Moooo

Mooo by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Jet distorted

Jet distorted
          by AlexR!, on Flickr
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Woodpecker

Woodpecker
            by nigel winters, on Flickr
            Nigel
            EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Female Kestrel
              2021-14 by tblake2007, on Flickr
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Incy wincy spider

creatures1 by Rose, on Flickr

Comment

The eyes have it ...

The eyes have it by Bo Bett, on Flickr
                  Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

The Challenge is now closed. I shall now do my deliberations and post the results accordingly...

Ian
                    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thank you everyone for all the entries, a bit of a slow start had me worried initially but all was OK with an excellent thirteen pics. It was good to see a such a variety of subjects as I had hoped and a great standard as usual; all this has made deciding the final placings difficult.

I have included below comments on each pic, but please bear in mind that I am not a photo judge so they are just my personal thoughts

1 cjf999, Chris, Cheeky Chappie!
                      A great pic of a grey squirrel nicely in focus with a good background; it looks like he’s just spotted you taking his pic! It’s just a shame that he is a bit low in the frame and we’ve lost his tail.

2 @imagesBV, Brian, Dirty Pig
                      A good portrait with a huge amount of detail and an a great OOF background, I like the expression! Nicely centred.

3 Bhuna, Andy, My Dogs
                      A lovely pic of the two dogs clearly enjoying the run out, they are a very well matched pair which makes for a good pic. The dogs are a little soft in focus but there is no link a higher quality pic so I can’t tell if this was on the original pic or is just an artefact of posting.

4 John Liddell, John, Sunning My Antlers
                      Your deer is very clearly quite happy and content and is not bothered by having his picture took. Just laying in the sun and enjoying himself, what’s not to like? Great pic and good detail.

5 CasaRova, Douglas, Pin-Tailed Whyda
                      By sheer chance I saw your pic just after I had watched a David Attenborough wildlife programme where he had spent a while discussing and showing this very bird! This is a very good picture of him perched to show off his colours and huge tail. I like the pose on the branch and the great OOF background, well spotted. A Lovely pic. However, I think that the framing is a bit too close, there needs to be a bit of space top and bottom between him and the edge of the pic.

6 Joeb1, Grasshopper
                      It’s good to see an entry from you Joeb1, thank you for posting! A great close-up shot of a grasshopper; don’t know how you got that close to him to take it, the ones I’ve seen are far too flightly! It’s a shame that it was such a small pic, A larger one would have been good to see as detail and resolution is degraded in a small pic.

7 Brian Sugden, Brian, Indiana
                      A live action pic! Indiana charging after his frisbee! A lovely shot catching him in mid bound eyes absolutely fixed on their goal. Will he make it? A great shot.

8 DaisyM, David, Moooo
                      What a great pic! You can see the inquisitiveness in his expression looking back at the photographer, curious as to what was going on. I like the composition, peering round the edge of the pic works well.

9 AlexR!, Jet Distorted
                      What I would imagine to be a meals eye view of the world! Jet peers inquisitively into the camera lens, a narrow DoF just shows his nose in focus. An imaginatively different portrait of your cat.

10 EOSwinters, Nigel, Woodpecker
                      A lovely pic of a woodpecker doing his thing on a tree stump, good amount of detail. The grey background shows him off well but strikes me as a slightly unexpected colour. For me a square crop would place more emphasis on the woodpecker.

11 Antoeknee, Female Kestrel
                      A great shot of the kestrel perched on the stonework and surveying the domain. I like the composition and the pose. Great detail.

12 Lavenderhill, Rose, Incy Wincy Spider
                      A miniature arachnid minding his own business (I expect) as they do in countless homes up and down the country. The macro lense has brought him (her?) to a nice view but unfortunately the focus is not quite there which is a shame as there is potential for some nice colours. Good to see though, its the only pic of a spider submitted!

13 Lunarbo, Bo, The Eyes Have It
                      A superb pic of a red kite heading towards the viewer, eyes looking directly at you and in sharp focus with a great background. A great picture.

As I said above, with such a good quality of pics submitted deciding the placings has been difficult as there are many potential winners. However a decision has been made:-

1st Lunarbo, Bo, The Eyes Have It
                      2nd Antoeknee, Female Kestrel
                      3rd DaisyM, David, Moooo

Over to you Bo for the next challenge!

Ian
                      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thank you for judging Ian & the great comments, well done Bo & Tony.

Comment

Thank you Ian for the competition and your judging, a good subject and excellent entries from everyone.
                          congratulations to all the winners, especially Bo for first place - I look forward to the next competition.

Rose

Comment

Thanks for setting, commenting and judging, Ian; it is always so fascinating to get the insights of how others judge images. Congratulations to all those on the podium, and in particular to Bo for a wonderful winning image. Sometimes you see an entry get posted and you just know full well that the rest of us are scrapping for the other places. This was one of those times; a gorgeous image in every respect.
                            Canon EOS 7D
                            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks to Ian for.taking time to set, review (good comments by the way) and deciding the top 3. The red kite image by Bo deserved 1st place. Congrats to David too. As has been said lots of great images had been submitted.
                              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Oh cripey I wasn’t expecting that!
                                Thank you Ian for setting the challenge and your considered comments and my congrats to Tony and David on the podium. Good to see such a great selection of images.
                                Will scratch head for the next challenge....
                                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                                X