Challenge 193 - On The Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 193 - On The Tools

Firstly let me say a huge thanks again to Alex for last months theme. It was a lot of fun.
    This month's challenge is.....On the Tools. This can be any image that portrays somebody working at their trade OR images of 'tools of the trade'. Images could include, but not limited to, people doing street art, busking or vendors in your local town, construction workers, drivers, place of work, or it can be as literal as a tool or piece of equipment somebody needs to carry out a task. It's your decision how to interpret this challenge.
    If you're new to the forum I really encourage you to post an image. I know it can be daunting but it's a great way to build confidence and have fun at the same time.
    ​​​

​​​​Judging will be based on:
    * fulfilling the brief.
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

Once the deadline closes I will go away and review all images and do my best to give friendly and constructive feedback and select a top 3 with a winner based on the criteria stated above.

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M / R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

The closing date for the Challenge is midnight (GMT) on 5th March 2023

I hope I've including everything that people need to know, this is my first challenge so if I've missed anything just message me and I will amend.

I look forward to seeing everybody's entries
    Last edited by NathCarr91; 05-02-2023, 12:11.

Farmer and his big tools

Farmer's tools by Chris Haigh, on Flickr

Chris

Comment

The editing suite
      Attached Files
      Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Stonemason at work
        ​​​​​​​
        Stonemason at work
        by Nigel Winters, on Flickr
        Nigel
        EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Hi everyone, just a friendly reminder that there is 1 week left on the challenge. So there's still plenty of time to get your entries in

Comment

Boys and their tonka toys

Rose

Boys and their tonka toys by Rose, on Flickr

Comment

A group of walkers out using their tools of the trade, a varied selection of GPS navigator units

EOR_9056 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
              Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Fly Tying Tools

Fly Tying Tools. by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Thank you everybody for your entries the challenge is now closed and I will be back in a couple of days with my feedback and podium. Great job everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
                    Thank you everybody for your entries the challenge is now closed and I will be back in a couple of days with my feedback and podium. Great job everybody.
                    Nath,The suspense is killing us.

Comment

Ahh, really sorry David, I've not forgotten , I've had a bit of a week at work and I'm currently moving house too so loads of packing going on.
                      will have the results up for everyone tomorrow though

Comment

Firstly thank you to everyone who entered the challenge, great to see a variety of images and thank you for your patience, I've had a very busy week this week.
                        My comments on each of pictures follow, please keep in mind that I am not a professional and are just my opinions.

Stackman - Farmer and his big tools
                        I Really like the colour palette in this image and the way that the light is catching the loaded hay bales and I find it very well composed too with the truck and tractor to one side of the image. And as spring is my favourite season, it's a nice reminder that spring is upon us/started.

SpringfieldPhoto - The editing suite
                        I'm assuming a self portrait but I could be wrong but this I a very clever way of portraying the theme, it's great to see the post processing procedure of our photograpy and I didn't realise that there could be more than 1 type of keyboard used for the process. I actually really like the shadow reflected from the subject onto the wall and that it is sharp enough to see what is being edited too. Great lighting

EosWinters - stonemason at work
                        Great use of filling the frame here. Nothing is distracting me from the image and it really does show the theme well. I particularly like that you've captured the motion of the stonemasons hammer mid swing to really add emphasis that he is working.

Lavenderhill - boys as their Tonka trucks
                        I like this Street candid capture, this one made me laugh actually and still does 1 because of the title and 2 because I think it captures a group of workers doing what I would call 'Giving something a couple of coats of looking at' which I love to see! I like how all the workers are framed by the arm of the digger.

Farider - A group of walkers
                        Great group shot and definitely shows everybody is having a good time together , the lady with pink hat definitely seems like she is having a blast. The whole image just feels like it was nice day and something fun. And good use of a shallower DOF too as you can see you're on a rail bridge but it doesn't distract from the group picture

Daisy M - fly tying tools
                        This is a very impressive set up for tying your own flies. And a great idea for a flat-lay as well as hitting the brief well. I like that every item in the image is sharp and detailed and nothing is left out of focus.

It's been a tough decision to make but my podium for "on the tools" is:

​​​​​3rd - Lavenderhill
                        2nd - EosWinters
                        1st - Stackman

well done Stackman (Chris) I really love this image great work!

A Thank you and a well done to everybody who entered my first challenge. And I look forward to the next one.

Stackman it's over to you!

​​​​​

Comment

Well done podium especially Chris, I knew when you put it on early that the rest of us would struggle. Thanks for setting the challenge Nath great considering the pressure you were under, they say moving is the most stressful thing a human can do.
                          Over to you Chris.

Comment

Congratulations Chris and well done to Nigel and Rose. And thank you Nath for the challenge, comments and judging.

look forward to your challenge Chris

Ian
                            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thank you Nath for the challenge, comments and judging.

Congratulations Chris, looking forward to your challenge.

Well done Rose and everyone for submitting.
                              Nigel
                              EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Working...
                              X