The new challenge - 202

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new challenge - 202

First let me start by thanking David for running last months challenge, your efforts are appreciated. Also well done to everybody who entered and to Stephen and Rose for your podium.

As most of you will know a lengthy discussion took part around the lack of entries in the current challenge format and it was suggested that a new style would encourage more entries from other users who felt less confident. So here it goes....

The objective of the challenge is to submit your best image for a chance to win the accolade of the judges choice as the best submission, and bragging rights of course.

Rules of the challenge:-

* ANY picture taken within 3 months of the competition start date. So for this month, anything taken on or after the 7th October 2023 til the closing date of the challenge. (Technically giving 4 months)

* NO THEME, any and all subjects are welcome here.

* MUST NOT have been posted into any other thread on this forum at any time.

* Only the judges choice of best submission will be chosen. There will be no 2nd or 3rd place and the judges choice is purely based on which image impresses the most. It won't necessarily be judged on technicality or a persons ability.

* Feedback - completely optional for the judge at the time, but it is encouraged to help others realize why the winning image was chosen. This then gives those who aren't confident on commenting/critiquing the option not to, with no judgement from any members involved.

* And the normal stuff - Canon cameras only but not limited to digital. Any lens, any accessories, any filter and any editing allowed.

* One picture per member.

* Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).

* Image must include a title.

* Please, NO comments on images until the round is over. This is to prevent anybody's entries potentially getting lost among the comments.

* No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    ​​​​​​
    This challenge is purely for fun and enjoyment. I would strongly encourage all members to enter. If anybody who wins feels like they do not want the pressure of running the following months challenge then you don't have to. You can take the win and be proud of it and either hand the reigns over the somebody of your choice (which ever picture you think deserved to win) or it will land back to myself and I will run it again.
    ​​​
    Let's give this a real try and iron out any kinks along the way.

This competition will end on the 7th February at midnight. Good luck everyone!
    Nathan
    Last edited by NathCarr91; 07-01-2024, 23:41. Reason: Added the comp end date

Green Belt....?!
    Gypsy site by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Last edited by @imagesBV; 12-01-2024, 15:46.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Going up in the world
      Chancel Way_0565 by Stephen Thompson, on Flickr

Comment

This wind is a joke.

This wind is a joke by Chris Haigh, on Flickr
        Last edited by Stackman; 21-01-2024, 10:59.

Comment

Seaside - this was the colour of the sea this morning.
          Rose
          6O4A5866_1 by Rose, on Flickr

Comment

Thank you very much for the entries so far.

Just a friendly reminder that we are now past the half way point, but there is still 12 days left to go until this months challenge is over. Looking forward to hopefully seeing more entries. Alot of you have been posting great images lately so I know you've all got something that's worthy of entering!

Comment

On a Cold January Day.

Snow on the Hills by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Approaching the final 24 hours everybody, so still plenty of time to get those images in. Be great to see some more images!

Remember if you're nervous of posting out of fear your images are going to be judged harshly. They won't be. I am not a professional judge and this is purely for fun, I'll just be picking my favourite image from the bunch. There is also no pressure to resume the challenge and judge next months. All you have to do is post one of your best images from the last 3 months. That's it

Happy shooting everybody

Comment

"Prop Circle". Cessna 172 at Tollerton near Nottingham taken 11th November 2023.

G-EPIM Tollerton 11-11-2023 by Nighthawke117, on Flickr
                  ---------------------
                  Ian C.

Comment

This months challenge is now closed. Thank you to all who entered. I will make my decision and be back with my winner

Comment

Well thanks again to everybody who entered. Was great to see a variety of images and actually made the decision more difficult.

So as per the new rules, it will be winning image only and this is based on which image I enjoyed looking at most. The image I have chosen also has a couple of things I like about it on a technical basis.

So the winner of the re-invented challenge is (insert drum roll here).....

Ian C with Prop circle . Wings and Things

Ian I was really drawn to your image and kept finding myself looking at it the most. I was particularly drawn to the lighting and the colour contrast. It feels like it was a really lovely autumnal day there. I really like the way the you've captured the movement in the propeller with enough of a slow shutter speed to see the break between the individual propellers and not 1 continuous circle, and the reflection of the sun hitting the propeller.
                      Im not sure if this was intentional but I also really like the way that the tree line horizon follows the plane wing perfectly from the edges of the frame. The detail on the plane itself is great and the colours work well with back drop.

​​​​​​Well done Ian and this is my photo of the month!

The decision is now completely up to you. You can take over the reigns and host this challenge for the next month (I will help if you need any), I can host again and you can just pick your favourite image of the next month. Or you can pick your favourite image now and hand the reigns over to whoever you think deserved the win (if this person doesn't want to host either I will host and judge again) there is no pressure, you're more than welcome to take the win and try again to take it next month too.

Well done to all and thanks for taking part ​​​​​
                      Last edited by NathCarr91; 11-02-2024, 18:07.

Comment

Wow - thanks Nathan - that was a surprise as I only added it in an effort to take part and make up numbers.

Many thanks for the kind and constructive feedback. I was there for a couple of hours while my wife and daughter were at Disney on Ice in Nottingham! Luckily this one stopped without background clutter (pylons excepted) and I just tried a couple of different shutter speeds to get the desired effect.

I will be honest, whilst intentionly level, the alignment of wings and background is simply how I took it so luck rather than judgement. However I will bear this in mind going forward - composed rather than snapshot.

If you don't mind, I would rather you continue this month as I am focused on life-issue. Quite happy not to enter (may not get much time anyway).

Finally well done to the other entrants.

Kind Regards,
                        Ian
                        ---------------------
                        Ian C.

Comment

Wings and Things
                          That's absolutely fine Ian. There's no pressure at all.
                          Really pleased you entered something and just shows that even entering to take part can result in a win .

The Disney on ice things sounds fun, hope your wife and daughter enjoyed it. Great that you took the free time to photograph some planes. Think I'd have to toss a coin to decide which i would wanna do as I love photography but am also a bit of a Disney fan .

Completely understand about life being in the way of things though and I'll continue it again. Hope it's nothing to major, and hope you do get a chance to enter something soon.

All the best

Nathan

Comment

Thanks again Nathan. Whilst being a Disney fan, the ice shows never really appealed - plus it saves the cost of a ticket - lol. Any chance for an aircraft related location then I am happy.

Nothing major life-wise. Just don't want to commit then let you all down.

---------------------
                            Ian C.

Comment

Well done Ian and Nathan for running it.

Comment

Working...
                              X