Challenge 203

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 203

The challenge is evolving to improve participation and enjoyment of the forum.

This month we are re-introducing a more competitive element….and a means to encourage continuity through the year using a points system whereby a Gold, Silver and Bronze award will be made each month along with overall year awards.

It’s hoped that members will take the opportunity to challenge themselves and to post an entry each month if they can.

Of course judging will be subjective to some degree….this is photography after all, not a sport with a simple first over the line by which to determine a winner. Just because your shot is not judged to be the best doesn’t mean it isn’t a brilliant image.
    ...sharp images of fuzzy concepts are accepted alongside fuzzy images of sharp concepts (not quite Ansel Adams I know)

This is for enjoyment not validation on someone else's terms....I don't think that is healthy for any of us.

Rules:-

1 Please enter one image max 800 pixels wide (so it displays on all members screens properly)

2 The image should ideally be taken during the month of the challenge but an image taken in the three months before the challenge closing date is acceptable

3 The Judge with analyse all entries and award Gold, Silver and Bronze to the top three.

4 Points will be awarded towards the overall year award - Gold wins 50 points, Silver 40 points and Bronze 30 points and all other entries will be awarded 20 points. These points will be accumulated over the year and provide a leader board through the year.

5 all members are encouraged to volunteer as a judge for the month - they may be experienced judges or experienced photographers without judging experience - this will provide an opportunity for them to hone their skills and ability to analyse their own photography.
    There is no pressure to volunteer as a judge at all.

6 There is no theme for each month….simply enter an image you like whether it be technically excellent , artistic or aesthetically pleasing.

7 The closing date for this challenge is (nearly) four weeks from now - Thursday 14th March (just before the weekend of the Photography Show at the NEC)

8 If you wish you can add some text in your entry to help us understand the context or concept etc.

Note on the annual Awards - By this points award system a photographer with seven entries through the year but having not won a top three position in any month will accumulate 140 points (7x20) whereas a photographer who enters twice and wins gold once will accumulate only 70 points (50 + 20).

Please support this challenge but most of all enjoy your photography.

(any issues please PM or add them to challenge 202 for continuity - lets keep this page for new entries)

Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Just a quick reminder...closing date for entries is 14th March
    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I don't want to see this challenge disappear so as a starter here is my entry:

Kew Orchids by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Ive had a few issues recently and only getting back into the groove – hes my personal fave from the past few weeks and my entry:

Ardstraw by Steven McNeill, on Flickr
        Steve

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns ;)

Flickr

EOS R, RF 24-105 L, 70D EF 18-55mm IS, EF 75-300mm, EF10-18mm IS STM & Nifty 50 STM.

Comment

Ready for open mic night

Wallingford Corn Exchange by Chris Haigh, on Flickr

Comment

No way out.

Picture taken from a recent trip to Albania - Tirana and the underground nuclear/war bunker. Wanted this image to portray how eerie the bunker is, and also wanted it to look like the cover of a horror film
            Tirana - Haunted.jpg
            Last edited by NathCarr91; 10-03-2024, 17:42.

Comment

RESULTS OF THE CHALLENGE

Thanks to Ian, Steven, Chris and Nath for entering....
              I'll do my best to judge these to my best abilities in both photographic and aesthetic terms....here goes.

The first entry by Ian of the orchids a Kew is a nice shot of a very colourful creation. Exposure and focus are great and the composition conveys the subject perfectly.

The second entry by Steven depicts a beautiful sky, superbly presented in a letterbox crop with great colour with a misty anchor at ground level.

The third by Chris is a super mono focussed on the microphone with focus receding into the theatre seating - a super shot that also conveys the anticipation of the event with some early arrivers in the background. I can almost feel the nerves of the performer about to address the mic. Great exposure and contrast.

The fourth shot by Nath is a surreal mono with super split toning conveying the atmosphere of this apocalyptic scene enhanced with a lone figure walking away. The chosen processing also conveys a feeling of despair and appropriate ugliness.

So my judgement in order:-

Gold (50 points)- Wallingford Corn Exchange by Chris - super shot, beautifully executed mono with good use of focus and conveying a feeling of anticipation.

Silver (40 points) - No Way Out by Nath - a well composed and processed image with apocalyptic atmosphere

Bronze (30 points) - Kew Orchids by Ian - a colourful well composed image of immense content and interest

Fourth place (20 points) - Ardstraw by Steven - a very well composed and executed image full of colour and natural wonder.

Thanks again to all who entered....in the interest of encouraging more entries I think we should bring back a theme for each month.

I'd like to invite Chris as the winner this month to run the next challenge....otherwise I'll happily set the next challenge.
              Last edited by @imagesBV; 15-03-2024, 20:02.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

See results above.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Thanks Brian. Good call and great explanations. well done guys ;)
                  Steve

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns ;)

Flickr

EOS R, RF 24-105 L, 70D EF 18-55mm IS, EF 75-300mm, EF10-18mm IS STM & Nifty 50 STM.

Comment

Well done to everyone who took part, and especially to Chris for his image. Well deserved, I would also have chosen this. It's a cracking shot.

Thanks for awarding me the Silver, I'm VERY happy with this. What you explained in your feedback was exactly what I was going for with this image. So I'm pleased that came across.

Huge thanks to Brian though for running the challenge this month and taking the time to offer his feedback on the images. Your explanations on the images are great so thank you! I also fully support your idea to bring a theme back into the challenge.

Nath

Comment

Thanks Brian for your efforts and comments. Well done to everyone who took part.

My photo was taken at an open day, the theatre has purple seats, I preferred the mono.

I will think of a theme and then set next months challenge, if everyone is okay with that.

Chris

Comment

Great….thanks Chris!
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Didn't want to comment on the new challenge thread so as not to distract from it.

In chris' set challenge the images over the last 3 months rule has gone and is just back to within the timeframe of the challenge. Is this what we're going back to now? I'm happy either way. Just wanted to confirm before I either post a back-image or go out and get a new one?

Comment

Yes, I dont know if he intentionally deleted the three month rule, perhaps reasoning that the challnge requires a new image ......I'm happy with that too.

I think we'd better go out a take some new shots!
                            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                            X