Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum photo challenge No. 34 "a two storey detached house"

The subject of the next challenge is "a two storey detached house"

On the surface it would be difficult to think of a more mundane, common-place, banal subject. Which brings me to the heart of what I'm hoping for in the submissions. I'm looking for photos that lift the subject out of the ordinary, that in some way make the viewer say to him/herself 'Gosh, I never noticed that house before' or 'Wow, ticky-tacky houses really do have something!' I'm not looking for ye olde medieval cottage beautifully preserved; more the average suburban detached des. res. transformed into an object of wonder.

RULES
    The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    The period of the competition shall be 14 days and the judge will state the start and finish dates.

The competition will run from 20th September 2011 until midnight on Tuesday 4th October 2011.

One Picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    Please use a Canon DSLR.
    Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started will be deemed invalid.
    Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    No Photoshop frames and borders.
    Include a brief description, and title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    No canvassing eg “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    The guest ‘judge’ will pick 1st 2nd 3rd favourite images (Please don’t PM them to discuss their choices).

Hope I got all that right. Go to it and good luck!
    Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Re: Forum photo challenge No. 34 "a two storey detached house"

lonley house by Jon Goodger, on Flickr

here my photo of a lovely house which i had seen while I was on holiday this week, I think it must be the old vicarage as there's a church next door.
    this was taken just outside of fountains abbey
    Last edited by ricewind; 01-10-2011, 22:49.
    EOS 60d, EF50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm 3.5-5.6, EF 28-90mm 4-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS, Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 EX DC HSM
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jongoodger/

Comment

Manoir de Boulaie, Brittany, - 2 storeys and an attic!!

Comment

Not strictly detached but then, A mans home is his Castle...

500D. 18-55 Kit Lens.
        Last edited by secondintime; 02-10-2011, 08:57.
        Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

A house in the woods -

Like the seclusion of this house, but also the views to the front of it - it is on a wooded slope looking out over the South Wales coast with views of a beach, a couple of rocky headlands and the activitiy in the Bristol Channel.

50D + 70-300 DO IS.

Cheers, Chris.
          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Willy Lotts two story detatched house in Flatford copy by rpic - rich webber, on Flickr
            http://www.rpic.co.uk/
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich_webber_photography/
            http://www.facebook.com/richwebberphotography
            https://twitter.com/#!/rpic_rich

Comment

canoncomp2 by shaun19613, on Flickr

I may be pushing my luck with this one, but it is a two storey, detached house.
              CANON 1000D EF-S18-55MM f/3.5-5.6: EF 75-300MM F/4-5.6

Comment

A thatched cottage in the Cotswolds.

EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

I think this is going to be one of the fastest results in the Photo Challenge history. Having looked at the submissions as they came in, I can only conclude that the majority of entrants did not read the brief.
                  The key sentence is "I'm not looking for ye olde medieval cottage beautifully preserved; more the average suburban detached des. res. transformed into an object of wonder."

By no stretch of the imagination could the entries by ricewind, DianaS, richysticky or Deva32 be considered average suburban des. reses.!

So that leaves me with The Real Swoosh, Chris J and Dorsetshaun.

The Real Swoosh: Certainly an average suburban house. However it appears to be at least semi-detached and possibly terraced. The transformation into the owner's 'Castle' was carried out by
                  him rather than by the photographer. It also has a heavy list to port.

Chris J: A fine suburban house, obviously detached, beautifully sited, altogether very attractive. However, as in the case of The Real Swoosh, the attraction of the house is derived from its
                  situation rather than by the work of the photographer. In contrast to his entry, it lists to starboard.

Dorsetshaun: This may not be the type of photo that an estate agent or auctioneer would use to advertise a property and it is not clear from it that the house is in a suburban area but without
                  any doubt it is the only entry that, by the use of the photographer's imagination, has lifted the house out of the ordinary and made it eye-catching. It can pay to push your luck!

So, a clear winner. Dorsetshaun by several lengths. Well done.

For the rest, thank you for entering. In several cases the pictures were of high quality, as one would expect given the excellent standard constantly achieved by those entrants. However, I think the amount of thought put into the treatment of the subject in relation to the interpretation of the brief and to the artistic content is every bit as important as technical expertise.

So, over to you Dorsetshaun. I don't envy you the task of setting and judging the next challenge.
                  Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Thank you, Garrett, just to clear up your question, the house is indeed a part of a suburban estate, connected to a field behind my house.
                    But thank you and i shall do my best to think of a good challenge.
                    CANON 1000D EF-S18-55MM f/3.5-5.6: EF 75-300MM F/4-5.6

Comment

Well done Shaun

Comment

Lovely picture Shaun. Well done!
                        “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                        http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Sorry! Will read the brief properly next time.
                          EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Well done Shaun.

Well done to all who entered.
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Deva32 View Post
                              Sorry! Will read the brief properly next time.
                              Me too!!

Well done Shaun, it is a lovely picture, beautiful light. Thoroughly deserved win

Comment

Working...
                              X