Awaiting a flame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awaiting a flame

For serious photography or at least attempting same, I'll always use my 20D and 7D. However it is not practical to carry my 7D and lenses (sorry if incorrect spelling of plural) so I have recently bought a Powershot S100, which (sort of) gives you control over the shots taken and can be taken anywhere. I was going to post an entry to the most recent contest, but as it has been taken with the PS could not. I'm not actually sure it should be allowed, just wanted others views.
    Regards

Rory McCarthy

Hmm. Should I have bought a 5D?

EOS 7D, Powershot S100, IXUS 850 iS, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, EFS 55-250, EF 50 1.4, Sigma EX 1:4-5.6 DC HSM (Wide Angle 10mm-20mm), Sigma DG 105 (105mm Macro)

Re: Awaiting a flame

Hi Rory

The Powershot S100 is a Canon camera so should be allowed (IMHO).
    I am not 100% sure but why not?

Comment

I imagine most of us have second or third more portable cameras. In my own case it's the Ixus 950 IS and I always have that with me on my belt. If we were to allow one non-EOS model to compete then why not all? There is a compact camera category on the forum and I have posted there with the Ixus. Since this is the EOS Magazine Forum I feel the emphasis should remain on EOS models. Just my opinion. Others may feel differently.

I do agree that it is often not practical to carry bulky kit. I've been on a couple of walking holidays in Eastern Europe and was forced by weight considerations to take only the Ixus.
      Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Thanks Guys. My very slight view is that we should only allow EOS otherwise risk diluting the focus (no pun intended) on EOS kit.
        Regards

Rory McCarthy

Hmm. Should I have bought a 5D?

EOS 7D, Powershot S100, IXUS 850 iS, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, EFS 55-250, EF 50 1.4, Sigma EX 1:4-5.6 DC HSM (Wide Angle 10mm-20mm), Sigma DG 105 (105mm Macro)

Comment

I broke the EOS rule yesterday when I posted a couple of pictures of a bird I wanted some help in identifying, the canon P&S was all I had tyo hand so I believe that you should be OK

Comment

I think Rory's query related to the EOS Challenge unless I'm mistaken. There should be no problem about the occasional submission of photos taken by other models as in the case of identifying birds, etc.
            Garrett

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

For this Challenge, Rule number 4 clearly states that the entry must be taken with a Canon DLSR. Therefore any picture taken with a Point & Shoot, even the s100, does not qualify for competition. Now for future competitions if it is to be opened to Canon Point & Shoot Cameras, then which ones are to be included, furthermore, who then is responsible for tracking to ensure that the right camera was used?

Clearly something to be talked about. However from the KISS principle you keep the two separate. Continue with the DLSR Challenge & then start another challenge for those that use the Canon Point & Shoot.

Tom

Comment

Good idea Tom (aka teaarver)
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

That's my feeling too. It is, after all, the EOS Magazine Forum and that's where the emphasis should remain. As I mentioned before, there already is a category on the forum for compact digital cameras. If someone wanted to organise a competition under that heading that would be another matter.
                  Garrett

Comment

Working...
                  X