HDR-like from a single image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDR-like from a single image

I found some info on the web regarding creating a HDR type image from a single RAW, using Lightroom. So, being at a loose end and having a new 'toy', thought I would give it a go. Im pretty impressed considering I didnt really try very hard. I would be very interested to know what you folks think. The pic. is only a snap of the back garden, so I had something to work with. Ill post the link to the website/info under the images.

Straight from camera

HDR attempt

Link to info
    Elevate your photography with HDR. Learn key techniques, choose the best software, and capture breathtaking detail in every shot.

Re: HDR-like from a single image

The EOS magazine article 'Dynamic images' (January-March 2009) is also worth a look. We cover HDR from a single image on page 52.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

To be honest Robert it looks just like an image that has had the levels adjusted. JMO

Robert didn't you know that Making HDR out of one image has been around for a few years, also you can edit jpeg images in a raw editor.
      Last edited by Donphotography; 21-01-2012, 15:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Donphotography View Post
        Robert didn't you know that Making HDR out of one image has been around for a few years, also you can edit jpeg images in a raw editor.
        Yes. The article we published is three years old and the technique was around before we covered it in EOS magazine.
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

If you use DXO to process Raw files (which I do) there is simply a drop-down menu for now much HDR you want. Some other packages call it a "Fill Light", which achieves basically the same effect (although people may not realise it's HDR).

Comment

Originally posted by Donphotography View Post
            To be honest Robert it looks just like an image that has had the levels adjusted. JMO

I thought it was pretty obvious you can 'edit' jpeg' images in a raw editor. You can even do it in camera....its called the delete button.
            Just mucking around here to show what is possible...Im not looking for a gong.

Comment

Shows the need to slightly underexpose - for example by 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop. Less chance of "blowing" the highlights means you've got a chance to produce a decent image.

I like it - it doesn't look overworked, and that can only be a good thing.
              “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
              "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
              "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
              "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

Originally posted by BT Bob View Post
                Shows the need to slightly underexpose - for example by 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop. Less chance of "blowing" the highlights means you've got a chance to produce a decent image.

I like it - it doesn't look overworked, and that can only be a good thing.
                Thanks Bob - you are absolutely right about the under exposure. It was just an experiment.
                I find it interesting that some folk here offer all sorts of advice and critique and, for the life of me,I cant find a single image they have posted!!

Comment

It looks as though you have ended your request regarding "I would be very interested to know what you folks think" by adding your last statement; I find it interesting that some folk here offer all sorts of advice and critique and, for the life of me, I cant find a single image they have posted!!

BTW you can find my images at 500px the link is in my profile page.

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                    Thanks Bob - you are absolutely right about the under exposure. It was just an experiment.
                    I find it interesting that some folk here offer all sorts of advice and critique and, for the life of me,I cant find a single image they have posted!!
                    Here is my HDR posting

ef-r

Comment

Nice HDR work.

Comment

Nice one Brian - didnt realise you had tried it. Is this Hever?
                        Im still waiting for an image from Wales...no thought not.

Comment

This is from Leeds Castle, processed using Nik HDR eFex. Just posted it to show it can be made to look pretty standard

I do quite a lot of HDR - just dont tell people :) The 1D4 can shoot 7 bracketed pictures - another reason that helped my purchasing decision :)

Do you fancy a meet at Hever or somewhere in Sussex? Lots of good piers down there, like Eastborne.
                          Last edited by briansquibb; 24-01-2012, 12:20.
                          ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                            Nice one Brian - didnt realise you had tried it. Is this Hever?
                            Im still waiting for an image from Wales...no thought not.
                            If you are referring to me when you say from Wales then you will have a long wait, I will also point out that I am quite capable of producing an HDR image and doing it from one or more image's, I should also state that I am not a fan of HDR because I see it as over manipulation of an image, you will very often see HDR overdone as is most often the case, mind you not in your image.
                            You asked a question in your post and I gave an answer IMHO, I am very sorry if your image didn't blow me away, though when people ask for critique they should take the good comments with the bad.
                            Last edited by Donphotography; 25-01-2012, 12:42.

Comment

A good HDR should look like a normal photo - but with high dynamic range
                              ef-r

Comment

Working...
                              X