Photo editing courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo editing courses

Thanks Jak/Mick, I am getting used to the "Avator". So don't worry. I first thought some ant had somehow got into my computer or I had got a virus. I was panic stricken! Also ended up getting "Delhi belly"!!

Mick, I will send you a PM & thanks.

Nat
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 28-01-2012, 12:31.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Drives me nuts distracts you from the thread, Sorry to but in Nat. I wish they were just plain icons.
      Col

Comment

Bad day for me. England lost the test and series to Pakistan. Man U got knocked out of the FA cup by Liverpool! Must hit the bottle and ask Bacchus to help me out!
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Good day for me. Man U got knocked out of the cup, and I've just taken 200 shots of short eared owls.
          Nat - I'll get that in the post on Monday.

Comment

Me too, two winners this afternoon, great day
            The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Bah! foiled again!!!

Comment

Great day ..... Australia just Whitewashed India
                David

Comment

Bah! foiled again!!!
                  The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Originally posted by mickledore View Post
                    Good day for me. Man U got knocked out of the cup, and I've just taken 200 shots of short eared owls.
                    Nat - I'll get that in the post on Monday.
                    Thanks Mick. Might help me to get over my bad day!

Comment

Nat - strongly advise you to start taking RAW if you can get your head round the processing side of things. Have posted something similar elsewhere on another thread but can't find it and apols if you've read it. Reasons are many

1) Taking JPEG on the camera essentially gives you a 'direct to print' - JPEG is a lossy compression and was invented solely to aid the movement and display of images around these new fangled computer thingies in the early 90s (the JPEG standard of 72dpi is not surprisingly the same as the vast vast majority of computer monitors)

2) the clue there is in the term 'lossy compression' - it's a compressed file from which detail has been lost. You won't notice this on a screen for the reasons outlined above but if you try and print you will as the eye can perceive up to around 300dpi. And of course if you then make changes to the JPEG and re-save the file (and when you resave you create a new copy) you are creating a new lossy compression of an already lossy compressed file - you can see where that's going!

3) With the JPEG off camera the camera has effectively made all the decisions as to how your picture should look - so you are dependent on a programmer in wherever they may be based understanding the lighting conditions where and when you are taking the photograph - that's impossible!

4) RAW files come off camera at 240dpi so something over 11 times the detail of a JPEG - detail is always good!!

5) RAW as a format is no different to an exposed frame on a roll of film in the good old days - it had to be processed to create the fixed negative from which you could make the print. processing RAW is no different and many of the same techniques can be used - with the addition of a whole bunch of other things.

6) Once you process the RAW file through one of the range of programmes available (I use Lightroom because IMHO it has the best RAW convertor but PSE8 is pretty good) you can of course create a full detail TIFF for printing or a JPEG for viewing on-line - just make sure you save the RAW file so you can go back and reprocess for a different/better look - and as you become more proficient in PSE you will find yourself doing just that as you realised you made some daft mistakes!

7) and of course when you take RAW you are beginning to use the full capability of the 60D - with JPEGs you're kind of scratching the surface!!

Hope this helps

Mark W
                      Last edited by mwphoto; 31-01-2012, 20:12.

Comment

Working...
                      X