How to set 7D to HIGH RES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set 7D to HIGH RES?

Hi can anyone tell me how best to set my Canon 7d to shoot in high resolution? I need to send some photos that are 300dpi and at the moment all my images are at 72dpi? Any help would be most welcome. Thanks Nick

Re: How to set 7D to HIGH RES?

Take RAW rather than JPEG - RAW will give you 240dpi off camera which can easily interpolate to 300dpi in post processing

Comment

or the other way to do it is by calculating the number of px.

ie 7x5 at 300dpi is an image of 2100 x 1500px
      ef-r

Comment

Good point and a neat alternative - taking RAW and getting the resolution off the camera would be my preferred!

Spaceboy - quick question. You say u need to send at 300dpi - that suggests that the image is going to be printed, so if you knew the size of that hard copy Brian's suggestion may help

Comment

Thanks guys . Yeah I think the problem I have is that I upload my images to windows live photo and it has saved everything at 72dpi Im hoping that if i open in photoshop i can just resize to 300dpi. Thanks for your help Regards Nick

Comment

Thanks guys . Yeah I think the problem I have is that I upload my images to windows live photo and it has saved everything at 72dpi Im hoping that if i open in photoshop i can just resize to 300dpi. Thanks for your help Regards Nick

Comment

Hi Nick - it would do because it would automagically save for online display - JPEG was invented for precisely that and that's why the resolution (72dpi) precisely matches the resolution of the vast majority of monitors in use!

Comment

DPI is not relevant to monitors. It is only a factor when you print.
                Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

This Canon DLC article might help Printer 'Resolution'.

Comment

Thanks again for the advice. I need the image at 300dpi as someone wants to project it as part of an exhibition. I think it just baffled me somewhat that my photos , even though took in jpg L are being saved to my software as low res 72dpi and i couldnt work out how to correct it? I have since moved the image over to photoshop and dre sized it there. Regards Nick

Comment

Quick question - why are you taking JPEG and resizing from there? JPEG is a lossy compression (clue's in the name!!) so you're upscaling from a less than ideal format (hint - take RAW!) Assume you're stuffed though as assume they're using pics you've already taken and can't reproduce?

Comment

Working...
                      X