Lensbaby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lensbaby

I am now interested in architechural photography esp churches and cathedrals in particular due to the magnificient interiors (& also exteriors). I have used my wide angle lens esp the 17-35mm f2.8L lens to photograph them but I do find the converging verticals & other distortions a big nuisance. I know that I can correct these in PSE but that does take a bit of time. I have now been told that the Lensbaby, at fraction of the cost of a tilt and shift lens, could be the answer. Can any member tell me whether they have got one, how is it used and what are the results? I am not in the habit of buying lenses for it's sake but only when I need a particular lens for a particular purpose.

Thank you.
    Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Lensbaby

I think the Lensbaby is only a "tilting" device used for differential focus, ( as in the "toy-town" effect.) What's really needed is the Shift capability rather than the Tilt. If that's not right, maybe someone else wll correct me?

Comment

The following from the Lensbaby website in their FAQ's....

Q. Why don’t you make a Tilt Transformer for Canon lenses?
      A. It’s not because we don’t love Canon shooters. We love you all very, very much and several of us are Canon shooters ourselves. Canon EF lenses have an electronic aperture that cannot be adjusted by our Tilt Transformer on your Micro 4/3rds camera. Canon lenses on Micro 4/3rds and other mirrorless cameras only shoot wide open. And if being forced to shoot at your brightest aperture wasn’t enough of a deal breaker, you’d also be unable to focus to infinity (or anywhere close) due to the Canon’s narrower flange distance

David
      David

Comment

Just caught the duplication bug........ David
        Last edited by djguk47; 19-03-2012, 16:46. Reason: duplicate posting....
        David

Comment

Samyang are reported to be marketing a cheaper alternative to the major-marques T&S this spring which may be more appropriate than the Lensbaby offering
          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks Colly,David & SJP. I will wait and see what is happening. I am more interested in the "tilt" aspect rather than the "shift" part of it so that I get the lines "straight" with buildings.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

It is the shift that gets the lines straight

This is the only pair of before and after - sorry about the quality - was only interested in the effect

Taken with a TSE-24

No shift

ef-r

Comment

with shift

ef-r

Comment

Brian, I can only see the one with the askew columns, the other one has not come out on my monitor/computer. Is it possible to re-do it please? Pardon my ignorance re tilt & shift- shows I am still learning!!

Thanks
                  Nathaniel

Comment

I can see both
                    ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                      I can see both
                      Thanks I can see now how the shift has corrected/or re-produced the left side as it should be. However, I note that the pillars on the right are still askew?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                        Thanks I can see now how the shift has corrected/or re-produced the left side as it should be. However, I note that the pillars on the right are still askew?

I was shooting in the dark - I found you have to get the camera exactly level and straight
                        ef-r

Comment

I understand now. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X