Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying out my new EF 50 f1.8 - how does the exposure look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trying out my new EF 50 f1.8 - how does the exposure look?

Hi Andy, I’m no expert, except I have a dog and every now over the last 3 years I try to get a good snap of her.
    What I’ve found is that if you want to capture the colour and detail in their eyes, you need to point the dog’s eyes towards a light source. Eg outdoors: get the dog to look in the general direction of the sun . Indoors: this could be towards a window on a brightish day. You can check this out by using a treat to move your dog’s head towards and away from light.

The main prob with trying to expose for dark eyes is you run the risk blowing out the rest of your doggy.

Re the f stop, in addition to the advice above, the distance between your dog and the lens is considerable factor. General rule, the closer you get the less DOF you will get.
    I would say that if you continue to use the 50mm it won’t be long before you instinctively know what DOF you can expect at what distance, at what aperture choice.
    Hope this helps another dog owner.
    Trev
    Last edited by Trevoreast; 24-03-2012, 12:27.

Comment

Paul and Trev, thanks for the tips

I imagine that with me using a prime lens, I should be able to get to grips with it reasonably quicklyl (less room for mistakes being fixed).

The one negative thing about my new 50mm, is that with me having a crop camera, I appear more zoomed in than I was at 50mm on my kit lens. <slaps forehead> I was aware of this being the case prior to buying the lens, but it's quite noticable when using the lens indoors.

Someone I know has let me borrow their EF 28mm 1:2.8, he did say that it's surplus to requirements and is for sale (no idea what it's worth though). But, having just splashed out £100 for my 50mm, I don't think another purchase would go down very well at all!

My major concern at the moment, is my apparent inability to hold the camera steady enough to get shots as clear as some of you guys do. It's spoiling my enjoyment a bit. Should I consider a monopod?
      Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
      http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
      https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
        Paul and Trev, thanks for the tips

I imagine that with me using a prime lens, I should be able to get to grips with it reasonably quicklyl (less room for mistakes being fixed).

The one negative thing about my new 50mm, is that with me having a crop camera, I appear more zoomed in than I was at 50mm on my kit lens. <slaps forehead> I was aware of this being the case prior to buying the lens, but it's quite noticable when using the lens indoors.

Someone I know has let me borrow their EF 28mm 1:2.8, he did say that it's surplus to requirements and is for sale (no idea what it's worth though). But, having just splashed out £100 for my 50mm, I don't think another purchase would go down very well at all!

My major concern at the moment, is my apparent inability to hold the camera steady enough to get shots as clear as some of you guys do. It's spoiling my enjoyment a bit. Should I consider a monopod?
        I had major surgery on my shoulder last year and now its pretty knackered. Ive found a monopod a very useful piece of kit, and they are not expensive. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X