Flickr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flickr

Just a general question about Flickr really. I use it only to host my photos, so I can post them on forums. Just curious really about Flickr and its purpose outside of being used like I do, as for me it is not doing anything other than host my photos.

I also use 500px, started using it after problems with Flickr, I was one of the thousands that couldn't log on for two weeks despite Flickr never admitting there was a problem.

My photos have had nearly 2000 views on Flickr. But not a single comment? I have joined groups, and commented on other peoples photos etc as some sites suggest to be socialble get your photos to a wider audience.

500px on the other hand is different. Only been a member there a few months ( years with flickr) and have already had, nearly 900 views, 77 likes, 19 favourites and 60 comments.

Any thoughts? Flickr is raved about for being THE photographers social media site, doesn't seem to be the case for me?
    Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Re: Flickr

i don't have the pro account but i use it and only put my best photos on it. i have only a few comments but they are from my friends that also do photography so i wouldn't really count them. i think it depends how you tag the photos to how they come up on the homepage. hopefully that is of some use.

Comment

Original post was 2 days ago - only 1 comment... maybe it's you Swoosh!

I too have used Flickr exclusively for 18 months. I've joined groups and posted photos in various comps. I've had quite a few comments from strangers, photos liked and favourited by people. BUT... more importantly, I speak to other 'togs' I see out and about at places when I can, and have become online 'friends' with them. I don't rely on people just finding my photos by chance, but if they do, and they like them, that's great.

I tend to join and post to groups for the places I visit in the 'real' world... WWT, British Wildlife Centre etc. and join associated groups like British Nature, post shots to quite a few and you soon attract a few people.

It's great you're attracting some good views and comments from 500px users though, so I gues at the end of the day, you pays your money (or not) and takes your choice.

I'm sticking with Flickr for now, but I'll have a play with 500px too!

Not sure any of that helps, but it filled a couple of minutes! All the best, mike.
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

After this post by the Real Swoosh I joined 500px and up loaded just 4 pics. In 2 hours I had 12 followers and enough e-mails to sink the proverbial battleship. I ceased my membership and deleted my pics. To much for an old fart like me I,m afraid. I'm just going back to chugging along on Flickr. Some gob smacking pictures being posted there. It's well worth a look.
        Cheers
        Treff

Comment

I'm with Flickr for the exact same reasons as mikep

Mike
          www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

"Original post was 2 days ago - only 1 comment... maybe it's you Swoosh! ".

I'm starting to get paranoid! Have quite a few posts on here and other forums where I don't get a single reply, let alone Flickr. Must try not to let it get to me.
            Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Patient: Doctor Doctor, people keep ignoring me!

Doctor: Next!

Colin
              Colin

Comment

I play with 500px. But mainly things go on flickr because I can view that on my iphone. (My network doesn't like 500px.)

Not sure how to see how many views on flickr. I have had comments, I join various groups.. monochrome... extension tubes... etc etc... but its inspiration more than anything... see something and think... oh I can have a go at that.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

I joined Flickr to post pics on here, previously I'd used Photobucket but it didn't seem so good. Joined some groups with local interest and have had some realy nice comments from people, some of whom have unbelievable photos. That can be a real boost but it can be a little annoying when you post something, particularly if you like it and nobody has a look or says anything but c'est la vie. The same happens on forums!
                  TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Working...
                  X