Battery grips- useful or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery grips- useful or not?

I am conscious of weight issues due to medical reasons. Keeping that in mind how useful do members find battery grips to hand hold their Canon cameras- I have the Canon 60d & 600d. I am interested in members views to take photos both in the horizonal and vertical positions (landscape & portrait).

Thank you.
    Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Battery grips- useful or not?

I've had grips on all my DSLR bodies over the years, although I don't have them on my 7D & 600D - yet!!
    I have one on my 5D2 as this is/was my main camera for shooting weddings as it added extra battery power and as most shots of this type are in portrait format, its more comfortable as well.
    I'll probably get one for the 7D as they are also handy for wildlife photography especially when lying flat on the ground.
    I don't think I'll bother with 600D as it was bought for its size and weight.

Mike
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

I bought one for my 450D a couple of months ago and I have not removed it since. the added weight is brilliant for stability (I also have big hands so helps with more stable grip on camera). the added function of portrait orientation shooting is my biggest draw to having one.
      regards
      Donald

Comment

Hi Nathaniel, I have a battery grip fitted to my 7d, like you I was worried a little regarding the weight, but I have to say now I have it fitted all the time, I find especially with a 70-200 lens fitted the balance of the camera is much improved and therefore is more comfortable to handle, especially in portrait mode, the extra battery carried as well means no more worries about shooting all day, (assuming you start fully charged). I have not found the extra weight to be a problem.

Ray

Comment

Similarly I always have the grip fitted. I take quite a lot of images in portrait so I find the extra set of buttons really useful, and I like the way it adds the weight low down, helping the balance with longer or heavier lenses. The extra battery life is useful and I never have to think about changing during the day or carrying an extra one somewhere.
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Hi Nat

I agree with what's been said above.

I find the grip on my 550D to be a great benefit for the following reasons - extended battery life (takes 2 batteries!), easy portrait mode buttons, more secure grip for larger lenses and better balance. I have 'average' size hands, but without the grip, my little finger was just waiving in the breeze! I do not notice the weight increase, and what little there is negated by the benefits!

I think it's one of the better purchases I've made, and will probably put a grip on any new camera body I get.

Hope that helps!

All the best, Mike.
            flickr
            5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Hi Nat.
              I agree with most of whats been said above.
              When I had the 40D it was gripped most of the time, but I rarely go out and take hundreds of shots. In fact I am finding myself more discerning and small projects only take a dozen pics. or so. However since I got the 7D I have wondered whether to get a grip or not, but I do find this camera well balanced without one, and the further expence rather frightening. I would sooner invest the money in glass.
              However, at the grand age of 58 I am finding, with galloping pains in the wrist and shoulders, any extra weight rather a distraction. Hope that helps.....I would save your money

Comment

Thanks guys for all your comments. I must think on this more carefully as in my case weight is of the utmost importance to me. I also go out with 2 camera bodies with associated lenses. Hence any extra weight I can do without is a bonus to me. Most probably I will try the grip on the heaviest of my cameras- the 60d and see whether I like it or not.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

For me Nat it's always been a no-brainer - I have huge hands so a DSLR without a battery grip feels like an Ixus! Of course the 1D range fit me like a glove!

Comment

I also have the grip on my 7D i like the extra battery life I get and the extra wide grip is good if you have big hands.

Comment

Good question, I have been considering one but always put off by extra weight ( which has now been put as a benefit) the size in bag also puts me off, certainly wouldn't fit in my Hadley pro bag, it's the extra grip I would like to try, battery life never been a problem and always carry a spare anyway.

It's a shame there isn't just the grip attachment without the battery element that could quickly be put on and taken off. Or is there?
                      Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Originally posted by mwphoto View Post
                        For me Nat it's always been a no-brainer - I have huge hands so a DSLR without a battery grip feels like an Ixus! Of course the 1D range fit me like a glove!
                        Same with me
                        ef-r

Comment

Against:
                          • Slightly higher weight.
                          • Cost, but there are after market ones.

For:
                          • Better battery life.
                          • Easier camera control in portrait format.
                          • Better weight distribution.
                          • Better balance.

and last but not least .................... it looks good!

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

I will make up my mind after trying out a battery grip on my heaviest camera body- the 60d. I am not bothered about battery life as I take plenty of spares- for the purpose in mind; ensure that they are fully charged. I also take selective photos and do not simply click away. Weight distribution and better balance interests me but more weight discourages me; I will bear these in mind when I try out the battery grip

Comment

I have Robin's 40D and grip now. Initial assessment is that I like it because it makes the camera a better fit in my hands, but still not finding the use particularly intuitive - I still tend to use the camera the same way in portrait as I always did, the positioning of the viewfinder seems strange if I use the shutter button on the grip. Perhaps I need to talk a few folks into portrait sessions to get some practice!

Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X