Sensor sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensor sizes

I have found online discussions regarding the practice of camera manufacturers describing their sensors as "inch based" i.e. 1/2.7" rather than an actual physical size.

It appears to be becoming something of a bugbear and strikes me as if manufacturers were using it to conceal the true size from consumers, especially relating to compacts and phones where the sensor truly is tiny.

So, where did this inch-based system come from? Reports suggest it was from the 1950s when it was used for technical reasons to describe TV camera tube sizes?

Why do all manufacturers still use it?

What is the relationship between it and real-world measurements such as the diagonal or the width/height of the sensor?

Do Canon want to publicise the physical dimensions of their sensors in magazine test reports and reviews and if so what method is preferred? i.e. diagonal in inches or mm maybe, or width x height?

If Canon do not want to do this, would they prefer everyone refer to a sensor by its capacity ie number of megapixels or pixel width/height?

If Canon were amenable to any of the above, would they be willing to be the first to change or would they prefer to encourage the change but not lead it?

Re: Sensor sizes

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum.

5D mkIII sensor size 36 x 24mm (full-frame) 7D sensor size 22.3 x 14.9 mm (APS-C) this is well publicised.
    Noink D3 sensor size 35.9 x 24 mm (full-frame) D300s sensor size 23.6 x 15.8 mm (APS-C).

The sensor on the Nikon APS-C cameras are slightly larger than on the Canon which is why Nikon APS-C are advertised as 1.5 crop whilst Canon are 1.6 crop.

The megapixels are the number of pixels crammed on to the sensor, the sensor size remains the same.

Comment

Welcome Brian,

Not sure what you are looking for, but Stephen's information is correct and is quite widely available. See

for more information.

Kind regards
      Graydon
      Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
      EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

It's based on the standard back when sensors were inside vacuum tubes and the size was given as the diameter of the tube (anyone other than me recognise the word "vidicon"). Manufactures liked this as (i) it was the standard and (ii) it made their sensors seem bigger than they actually were...

We regularly receive emails from readers confused as to the actual size of sensor used in digital cameras. Sensors (CCD / CMOS) are often refered to with an imperial fraction designation such as 1/1.8" or 2/3", this measurement actually originates back in the 1950's and the time of Vidicon tubes. Those who find the specification sheets for these sensors are then even more confused about the relationship between the fraction and the actual diagonal size of the sensor. Inside you'll find an explanation and a table of common sensor sizes. We'll be adding this information to our glossary for future reference.

John

Comment

Originally posted by brianwall View Post
          I have found online discussions regarding the practice of camera manufacturers describing their sensors as "inch based" i.e. 1/2.7" rather than an actual physical size......
          Do you mean like this one Brian Amateur Photographer? Welcome over here to you
          Bob Turner
          Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Working...
          X