Full Frame- Canon 1 Idsxxx vs Canon 5dxxxx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Frame- Canon 1 Idsxxx vs Canon 5dxxxx

What do members think about the two series. I am hoping to add a full frame to my equipment, whilst keeping the crop camera as well. The lenses I have now are all EF L series except my Sigma.

Many thanks

Nathaniel
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 27-04-2012, 12:11.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Full Frame- Canon 1 Idsxxx vs Canon 5dxxxx

I've owned a number of 1 series bodies, currently a 1Ds MKIII, and I think it would be difficult for me to go back to using a non pro body for most of my work.

They are built like a tank, batteries last forever, two memory card slots , loads of ways of configuring shooting variables, and capable of excellent image quality.

However, they ain't cheap, and compared to non pro bodies, very heavy.

My last 1 series body (1Ds MKII) I had for 5 years, and bounced it round the Dales, Scotland , Wales etc, it had a lot of punishment, but took it all in it's stride and never missed a beat.

Saying that, the 5D MKII and MKIII are very capable cameras, but having never owned one can't really comment?
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Nat - given your gram strategy - I think you may find the weight of a 1 Series not to your liking. Mind you during my week with a 1D4 a while ago it didn't bother me.

You may find a 5Dx more to your taste and use the left over funds to buy a 24-70L Mark II ;-) Ah but then we are into heavy again ;-) ;-)

Comment

I owned the 5D II before the 7D and both are of similar size, similar weight, similar buttons etc.. and in my opion they compliment each other.
        The 5D is likely (IMO) to be the full-frame to go with.

Comment

I'd agree with the 1D having perhaps might have too much of a weight penalty for you (well, for a lot of people actually).

Comment

I am not sure (given your worries about weights of battery grips on cameras) that a 1 series is the way to go...I Have just purchased a 1d mk4 and the battery in it weighs as much as a 5d grip alone!
            Last edited by minime; 27-04-2012, 17:32. Reason: Typo

Comment

It all depends what your subject matter is. Weight is an issue Nat, and you and I are not getting any younger. Ive just been to the hospiatl for a big needle in the shoulder (ouch). I shoot a 7d, it does everything I will EVER want to do, and I realise my limitations regarding my artistic ability. That may not help, but I have ALWAYS felt its not what you have got....but how you use it. A better camera does not necessarilly make you a better photographer

Comment

Nat all the weights are in the latest supplement. Your 60D is 2oz lighter than a 7D/5DII, 7oz lighter than a 5DIII and 15oz lighter than a 1DIV.

Weight aside what do you feel you want the next body for, what is the 60D not doing for you? Ultimately, if you want it and can afford it why not? I would suggest the only downside is that the level of complexity with the pro bodies seems to take a bit of a leap from the prosumer ones.
                TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I wouldn't say the series 1 are any harder or complex to use than the others - just different
                  ef-r

Comment

Thanks Guys for all your advice which I have taken on board. The only thing I have considered re a FF is the fact that I won't have to worry about the crop factor- a 24-105mm lens will on FF will be just that and not 38mm - 168mm. I also used the old EOS 3 & IV a lot in my film days and enjoyed it with the old EF lenses I had. I know weight is an issue for me but then I have been carrying two camera bodies plus a few selected lenses when I travel abroad and I have managed this OK. Robin (hhcanon) I understand what you mean and I myself have got a lot of pills to take to keep me on this earth. Anyway I will keep you posted as to what I do.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I think the 5D2 is the way to go for you Nat.
                      Superb IQ and half the price of the 5D3 makes it a great buy at the moment.
                      The 1 series weight issue has been mentioned.

Mike
                      www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Working...
                      X