Honest answers and crit PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honest answers and crit PLEASE

OK, the title may give you a clue. I processed the attached image in LR. But, what I did was use the white balance picker on a white object (birch tree zoomed in on bark) selected and a tad sharpen and hey presto. NOW, I used a polarising filter when I took this to get the blue sky, but what I want you to tell me, is this all rather blue madness...or does this work and is it realistic?? Im feeling really out on a limb here.
    Im not interested in the composition etc. just the colour balance.
    Looking forward (really) to honest answers. Thanks

Polarised Bluebells by Robin M Jones, on Flickr

Re: Honest answers and crit PLEASE

Hi Robin

I love that - its the sort of shot I always aim to achieve, just a bit sad there's a shadow across the bluebells, but its great

Trev
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Honest opinion from me and please remember I'm a motorsport photographer and not a landscape guy:

I opened it full screen and looked at it as a painting or large print and I would be more than happy to have that on my wall, the colour is terrific and the sky fading from blue to almost white works really well.

Agree with Trev that the shadow is the only 'let down' BUT you were under the tree's so that is to be expected in a 'real' photo

.DAVID.
      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

I'm very much a novice, so please keep that in mind It's a lovely shot Robin, but to me the vivid blue sky is so colourful that it's battling against the purple flowers somewhat?
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by Canonboy View Post
          Hi Robin

I love that - its the sort of shot I always aim to achieve, just a bit sad there's a shadow across the bluebells, but its great

Trev
          Thankx-that helps

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
            Honest opinion from me and please remember I'm a motorsport photographer and not a landscape guy:

I opened it full screen and looked at it as a painting or large print and I would be more than happy to have that on my wall, the colour is terrific and the sky fading from blue to almost white works really well.

Agree with Trev that the shadow is the only 'let down' BUT you were under the tree's so that is to be expected in a 'real' photo

.DAVID.
            Youre too modest David- thankx for the comments - its all helpful

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
              I'm very much a novice, so please keep that in mind It's a lovely shot Robin, but to me the vivid blue sky is so colourful that it's battling against the purple flowers somewhat?
              Good point Andy, Ill take that on board...first time Ive used a Polarising filter. Just remember there has been no colour adjustment (other than a WB in LR).. this is straight out of the camera

Comment

Love the bluebells with the white bark of the silver Birch. Though personally I'd crop out the blue sky which would mean loosing about the top 1/3. Then try and get the silver Birch near the middle on the right hand 1/3'rd approx.... then a tiny bit off the bottom. Now I am a novice, so remember the pinch of salt. Was this at Wakehurst. Hoping to go tomorrow....in the rain it would seem.

Comment

Hi Robin,

I think the colours really work!

What troubles me is that it looks incredibly 'busy'. I think this is because of the amount of small detail in the shot, leaves, branches, grass, flowerheads etc. I hope my description makes sense! Have you tried softening it a little?

As the others have said, cracking shot.

Andy

Comment

Agree with Andy, there's a real competition going on, my eyes keep bouncing back from flowers-sky-flowers-sky............

If the intention was to showcase the bluebells, then without a top crop, taking out a lot of the blue sky, this doesn't work.

But if it's a test to see if a polariser works in this instance, then yes, I think it does.
                    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

I submitted something similar at my local camera club monthly, and scored 15 out of 20! The main reason was 'no central point of interest'.

I like these types of images, this is really good, always take photo's of what you like and what you are pleased with!
                      The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

hi I like it and think it works well
                        7D griped, 70-200 2.8 is, 17-40 2.8L, 60 EFS 2.8,sigma170-600 5.6, iLUX 600 flash,480ex11,Giottos silk road pod etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X