X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacobs sad news

I saw this on the internet, "Cecil Jacobs in administration" it is sad news

Re: Jacobs sad news

Certainly the economic downfall is hitting the highstreet shops in a big way. One of my local dealer has to close down few months ago.
    Raj
    Flickr

Comment

Omg...I love this store...I have spent tens of thousands of pounds there over the last twenty years...unbelievable...what a massive loss to the camera world if they go!

Comment

Well Jessops aren;t in any state to acquire them ... so I'm not sure what will happen to them. They always (and still do for now) ran tidy stores in Liverpool and Manchester the two I have used. Anyway good luck and I hope a buyer is found ...

Comment

Really sad news but not unexpected in the current climate. I have used the Leeds store quite a lot but have switched to buying many items online due to pricing. Not sure what the answer is to this high street retailer dilemma. I am all for supporting local business and shops and don't mind paying a slight premium for this. However I have just bought a 70-200 online £300 cheaper than available at Jacobs! With that price differential it is a no-brainer.
          Martin
          Canon 7D,EFS 15-85 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Comment

Originally posted by Applefan View Post
            Really sad news but not unexpected in the current climate. I have used the Leeds store quite a lot but have switched to buying many items online due to pricing. Not sure what the answer is to this high street retailer dilemma. I am all for supporting local business and shops and don't mind paying a slight premium for this. However I have just bought a 70-200 online £300 cheaper than available at Jacobs! With that price differential it is a no-brainer.
            That's a significant price difference. Which online was it, if you don't mind you could share it Martin
            Raj
            Flickr

Comment

As Martin says, its a nobrainer, but sad indeed

Comment

I have always used them because they have always been happy to price match. I go on camerapricebuster and find the cheapest price from a reputable dealer...print off that dealer s offer and take it in to Jacobs in liverpool...never failed me yet...I would never buy grey market lenses...which is often how online retailers are able to cut prices so hard...

Comment

Originally posted by rajjayaraj View Post
                  That's a significant price difference. Which online was it, if you don't mind you could share it Martin
                  FlashCamera.co.uk
                  Martin
                  Canon 7D,EFS 15-85 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Comment

Flash camera must have put their prices up, or am I looking in the wrong place ? ef 70 - 200mm f2.8l is usm ll Jacobs = £1694.95, Flashcamera =£1599 ?????

Comment

I've had some stonking deals out of Jacobs and would miss them (well, the New Oxford Street Pro Shop) enormously... what would I do without Donal doing me a deal... (I don't know if that's saved me a fortune of cost me one as I bought stuff I wouldn't have bought at the going rate... nope, no regrets...)

I'm really quite unhappy about this... (I know some really nice people at Calumet, but none of them work in the shops...)

Ah, okay, this comment cheered me up a bit...
                      "Talking of the 1D X, I heard of someone asking Canon if the 1D X mk2 would ship first... ;-)"
                      Last edited by DrJon; 03-06-2012, 19:12.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                        I've had some stonking deals out of Jacobs and would miss them (well, the New Oxford Street Pro Shop) enormously... what would I do without Donal doing me a deal... (I don't know if that's saved me a fortune of cost me one as I bought stuff I wouldn't have bought at the going rate... nope, no regrets...)

I'm really quite unhappy about this...
                        Me too! Some good people work in the Liverpool store...I will definitely miss this shop if it goes...I hate to think the future is filled with faceless Internet dealings with people that can hide behind a computer screen...much of what I buy is purchased by first researching online what I want/need, then going to shops I value to ask for a fair price match (very rare not to get this these days), and walking away knowing someone who I have a mutual respect for has helped me finalise a deal. I would be truly loathed to buy expensive camera equipment by simply pushing a few button tabs in an amazon type setting...that kind of thing should be left for cd/DVD/music etc.

Sadly, with things going the way they are i imagine it is only a short amount of time before Calumet (already closed their Liverpool branch two years ago), Jessops (despite the healing hand from Canon) Wilkinsons in Southport and many other shop front stores disappear from the high street leaving us with no choice but buying online.

Comment

Jacobs Liverpool branch closed for business

Comment

Originally posted by minime View Post

Sadly, with things going the way they are i imagine it is only a short amount of time before Calumet (already closed their Liverpool branch two years ago), Jessops (despite the healing hand from Canon) Wilkinsons in Southport and many other shop front stores disappear from the high street leaving us with no choice but buying online.
                            I travel to Liverpool on business at least once a month. Once there were four stores. Jacobs, and another whose name I forget on the same street, Calumet by the docks and Jessops. Now there's only Jessops and the film camera repair shop by the old prison.

I've heard that Wilkinson's are laying off staff across their stores, and that they are feeling the pinch, so who knows how long they can last out. It must be said that Wilkinson's are very reluctant to price match or give any sort of discount, other than the occasional lens cloth as a freebie.

But, and this is the root cause of the problem, running costs take a big slice of their profits. I need some more photo paper, but hubby is out with the car, so I went on-line. Normally I'd go into Blackburn, and first call would be Wilkinson's. I bought the same paper online, and even with postage the cost was only 60% of what I'd normally pay. It's easy to see why the High Street is struggling. Everyone is watching the pennies these days.

Kind regards

Sara W
                            Last edited by Sarawak; 09-06-2012, 13:28.

Comment

Fishwicks (the famous 'wooden' hut in Haydock), Tecno (Manchester), Vic Odden (?), University Cameras Cambridge, ... I will miss them all. I can now add Jacobs Liverpool to this list.

But Mathers of Bolton is still alive as are Wilkinson (nee Waddingtons in my case) and Wildings (AFAIK).

Comment

Working...
                              X