Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Required!

Hi all,

Just got back from Silverstone to find my camera bag wet inside. My 7d not immersed, but looks like condensation all over it.
    My silica gel bags had split with the water.

I have taken the camers out and dried it, and now leaving it in the room.

Is there anything else I need to do. It powers on, but I haven't tried it yet.
    Was going to leave it a couple of hours.

Dreadful weather, but hopefully some good pics.

Re: Help Required!

Hi
    Hope your camera dries out ok, i dropped my iphone in water a while back and put it in the airing cupboard for an couple off hours and it was ok.
    Not sure if this will work with Camera, Just a Thought

Tom

Comment

thanks guys. did all that. camera seems ok. day 2...

Comment

Hi
        Nice 1 Glad all ok
        Tom

Comment

Milli, For the future, it might be important for camera's to be protected with a rain cover if ever there is any sign of rain or mist. Lowepro camera bags have a rain protector cover built it, and it is always wise to pull this out and cover the bag. Above all, keep out of the rain and use a P&S camera as it it much easier to protect in inclement weather. I can also suggest that you contact MX5 as I know he has all the protective gear from his camera and lens when he does his marathon walks in all kinds of weather. Placing a camera inside an airing cupboard is ill advised IMHO.

Nathaniel
          P.S
          Reminds me of my ex-mother in law taking a bath without drawing the shower curtains,and had water splashing all over- inside and outside the bath and on to the bath room carpet, so much so there was "heavy rain" coming into my lounge from the ceiling above. When she was told off, she said that she thought the floor etc was "water proof". She was banished from my house, never to return again!! The moral here is that cameras and bags are not water proof unless proper precautions are taken!!
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 07-07-2012, 12:45.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

To keep my kit dry when I'm out walking I put it inside a "dry bag". Any good outdoors shop like Cotswolds or GoOutdoors etc. sell them. They are completely waterproof and have a roll top, just get a size that suits. http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?...ategory_id=251
            http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index...and/code/exped
            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

+1 for Exped bags. I've at least a dozen of them in different sizes ... some with 'windows' some without. Store my survival gear, medical kit, 'mascot', rations, camera gear, etc. each in their own bag and then all in a gignormous one in my backpack.

The big ones you can inflate and use as a buoyancy aid!

Comment

Clicky
                Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

I find that the brim of my hat keeps most of the wet off, but when weather looks particularly bad, one of these usually does the trick:

he OpTech Rainsleeve protects your gear from dust and inclement weather, and is suitable for handheld or tripod-mounted use.

Colin
                  Last edited by colin C; 08-07-2012, 10:48.
                  Colin

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. The camera seems fine now.
                    I have got the OpTech Rainsleeve for my camera. The problem was the camera was dry when it went into my camera bag, and I think the bag got soaked and condensation formed inside.

Just for info I have a Tamrac Speed Pack 85 which |I love, and it was very wet at Silverstone, and!...I forgot my brolly.
                    Am going to get some water proofing spray for the bag.

Lesson learnt, and thankfully no harm done.

Comment

Lowepro bags are fully shower proof, but many also have a built-in water proof cover for when the weather gets too bad. If you look throughout the Lowepro range, any bags that have AW in the description have the "All Weather" capability.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

As I have several of the AW Lowepro bags, I know how secure these are in our weather conditions. It is also important,when not using the water proof cover, to keep the "lid" closed and zipped, when out and about.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Even with a 'weatherproofed' bag (and a cover) I still keep anything of value (or essential for safety) in individial Exped drybags. Even the best photographers bag/backpack or ramblers bag/backpack seem to leak at the zips etc. when out in penetrating rain for a period of time. I'm thinking of getting a Musto duffle as these are intended for sailors so should be waterproof and watertight. I shall investigate that thinking.

Comment

MX5, For my kind of photography- the "gentle type" i.e without much exposure to inclement weather, the Lowepro bag and a rain cover for the camera is sufficient protection for me.Certainly for the professionals, semi professionals and to those aspiring to those levels, I would certainly go along with you. My logic is that if pictures are repeatable ones- like those you can take in Uk Or Europe on another day,I will not take a risk. However, if I was going to Galapagos Islands or similar , that would be a different matter, where the high cost of the trip,travel insurance for me etc will perhaps make me take the "risk" of getting my equipment wet to take pictures.
                            Last edited by Nathaniel; 09-07-2012, 13:02.

Comment

Nat (and OP) My reply was a little clumsy ... I was trying to manage people’s expectations about what waterproof backpacks are (or rather are not) ... that they are not always fully waterproof. I had my LowePro with its AW cover deployed in a soft environment (a quay side) when the heavens opened. There were signs of water ingress after this brief but heavy shower. Fortunately the Exped's kept the important stuff bone dry.

Water can have 'magical' properties ... can travel upwards, can creep through capillary action, etc. The actual type of rain has a marked effect on its penetration qualities. Guess that’s why the Cornish (and others) language has so many words for rain

The same applies to my Osprey rambling sack (and all the various brands I've had before).

Comment

Working...
                              X