Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't recommend it!

Hi

Have you ever wondered how strong your EOS camera is? Unfortunately, I found out in Kos, Greece 2 days ago whilst on holiday!

I was taking a long exposure shot from a balcony, using a Gorilla pod and ball head with my EOS 550D on it, with attached battery grip, my 15-85 IS USM with UV filter and hood, and a Speedlite 430EXII. I got the shot (see below), but then the camera toppled over the edge, 20 feet down onto a solid tiled concrete floor!

My face, apparently, was a picture (according to my brother - but he didn't have a camera to prove it!).

I went down the steps, picked up the bits and pieces, put the batteries back in the Speedlite, Speedlite back on the camera, checked all the glass was OK. At first I couldn't take a shot because the battery grip's battery compartment didn't fit properly where a small chunk of a corner had snapped off... BUT, no glass broken, filter ok and not scratched. Sorted the battery grip (sort of - might need a new one), BUT EVERYTHING WORKS - including the flash!

Phew!

WARNING - be careful how you balance kit on a tripod / Gorillapod etc. BUT - in the event of an accident, you could well be lucky like me!

Anyone else had a similar 'event' they'd like to share? I'd like to think I'm not the only plonker to have done something like this!

At least I can vouch EOS cameras seem to be built quite well!

Kos - night time shot pre-crash by mikep_eos, on Flickr
    EOS 550D, 15-85 IS USM @ 15mm, 20 seconds, F8, ISO100

All the best, Mike.
    Last edited by mikep; 26-07-2012, 11:05. Reason: added shot details
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: I wouldn't recommend it!

That is a beautiful image Mike but might of been a costly one.
    I hope that the rest of your holiday was very enjoyable.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

THats some storry Mike, and really pleased everything is OK...you were very lucky.
      I love the picture and the Germans havent got their towels out yet by the look of things!

Comment

The Gods of Luck were with you this time, but I am well aware of the split second you know what is happening, your buttocks go into involuntary clenching mode and you fear the worst!

Mine was with a 70 - 200mm f2.8 L IS. Dropped from four feet onto solid concrete. The lenshood took most of the shock, sprung off and landed four feet away, the UV filter was intact, but had a flat spot on the front edge of the metal collar and the lens was .................... undamaged. Not even a nick of paint was lost!

That was a few years ago, but after a service, nothing was found wanting and I still use the same lens, new hood and UV, but still the same lens.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Lovely shot Mike despite your mishap. Glad that nothing untowards happened to your camera gear.

Nat
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

You must have kissed the lucky god that day.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

A nice shot, and a lucky escape on the equipment side. This reminds me of the video on digitalrev tv when they try and destroy a 7d, although you weren't trying to destroy your 550d. Worth a watch, and lets us know how well EOS cameras are put together, most of the time.

John

Comment

Thanks for your comments guys and gal!

I'll be out this Saturday for the Olympic Mens Road Race round Box Hill, Surrey, so I'll be able to give the camera a good work out. If all goes well, I'll count myself a lucky boy that it all still works.

FYI - the camera etc fell from the spot the above picture was taken from, so you get an idea of how far it fell!

All the best, Mike.
                flickr
                5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Working...
                X