Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Button AF

Hi All,

Just trying to get back into Photography after a bit of an absence, so I have been doing a bit of reading and thinking about how to improve, and those who have seen my pic's will know I have a lot to learn!!!

I was wondering how many people use the Back Button AF for Autofocusing, if you do, why do you and what are the advantages in what circumstances.

I would appreciate any help, particularly in laymans terms.

Regards Paul

Re: Back Button AF

I do ... That means I have a button (AF-ON) if pressed locks focus and if held down tracks. ANother button (the *) to lock exposure (when not using M) and finally the big button to take the photo. Actually works well ... but I've said before you need to want it work.

The * is optional ... if not used the shutter button does exposure and takes the photo.

Comment

I use back-button-focus too, it's great for focussing and recomposing, setting focus and then worrying about taking the photo at the decisive moment, and generally giving you the flexibility of unlinking the focus/exposure/shutter operations.

It can be difficult to unlearn traditional focus/exposure on a half-push of the shutter button, but if you're just starting out or restarting the hobby, then it's the ideal time to "learn" the separated approach!
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I use back button focus and in my custom functions the focus is exclusive to the back button. The front button only does the exposure and takes the shot. It took a while, probably a couple of months before it was totally automatic and I nearly went back to standard a couple of times. Perseverance paid off and I wouldn't go back.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Hi

I too use BBF at some times, but not all. I use the standard setup for portrait / landscape, but use BBF for wildlife and BIF's. On my 550D, this means I have to change the custom setting, but I have that setting in my 'quick menu', so it's easy to get to!

For BIF, this allows me to track a bird, holding focus (AI servo), and only press the shutter butt6on when I want the shot. At the time I press the main shutter the exposure is taken. This is great for when a bird flies from sky, to in front of trees, then back to sky, as I can keep the focus locked on, but allow for different exposure.

As per Colin C, it takes a little practice, but once you're comfortable with it, it's great! Just my opinion, but it's worth spending some time with it.

Hope that helps - all the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Another vote for BBF, I use it every time on the 7D. It allows me to have a lot more control when tracking moving objects.

It's worth the short term pain
            Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

I have started using the BBF, although other day I picked up my camera, and thought sh1t it's not focusing. Of course it won't when your only pushing the shutter button.

John

Comment

I think we will have all have done that once or twice ;-)

Comment

Thanks all who responded for taking the time to answer.

It seems like a good thing to learn.

Thanks again, Paul

Comment

Stick with it Paul and you will not go back. The big "gotcha" is when someone says to you.... "let me take a photo of you with your camera" and you have 3 seconds to explain how to use the back button...this is when SWMBO's eyes completely glaze over and the word "geek" can be heard being muttered along with.. "why do you have to fiddle with everything, what was wrong with the way Canon made it work in the first place ???"

David
                    David

Comment

Working...
                    X