Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firmware

I have not bothered with the various firmwares that becomes available on and off. Am I losing out something here by ignoring these? My only reason for not updating/bothering with them is that I am scared of messing my camera settings by going for them.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Firmware

You are often losing out by not updating the firmware.

If you are concerned about doing it wrong, you should be able to copy your existing firmware to a memory card as insurance and if all goes badly wrong, you can re-install your previous firmware.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Nat - just follow the instructions that Canon supply with each firmware upgrade and you should be okay. Actually there are lots of things that have computers in; I've had firmware upgrades for TV, HDR, cars (although that is done during a service), bedside clock, laptops, mobile phone, ...

What I've never done is update the firmware in a lens ... yesterdays Canon advisory seem to indicate a downloadable update will be available for the shorty forty (the 40mm f/2.8 STM) ... so I'll see what that entails!

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
        What I've never done is update the firmware in a lens ... yesterdays Canon advisory seem to indicate a downloadable update will be available for the shorty forty (the 40mm f/2.8 STM) ... so I'll see what that entails!
        I've never done this before either, so this should prove interesting.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          I have not bothered with the various firmwares that becomes available on and off. Am I losing out something here by ignoring these?
          Quick answer: Yes.
          All latest firmware fix the "phenomenon" as Canon put it, but in laymans it fixes the cock-ups.
          It may also add additional instructions or improved instructions.
          Well worth doing (IMHO).
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
            It may also add additional instructions or improved instructions.
            Well worth doing (IMHO).
            Case in point being the latest 7D update.
            The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Working...
            X