Flash Gun Batteries-rechargeable Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the best, just bought a Yongnuo 565 which will not have heavy use-Canon just to expensive for my needs so what batteries please
    Thanks Graham-now based Canada.
    Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

If you're not going to be using it a lot, then get hybrid batteries. Whilst they're not ultimately as powerful as straight LiMH rechargeables, they retain their charge for far longer which is ideal in these situations.

Sanyo Eneloop cells are widely considered to be amongst the best, but I have a mixture of Uniross Hybrio and Maplin Hybrid as their prices are competitive.

Budget for an intelligent charger too, chargers can make or break your cells, especially if you're not charging them frequently. I use a http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/uniross-battery-chargers.asp from Battery Logic. With an intelligent charger you can safely give cells a boost when partially discharged without fear of overcharging.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

That'll teach me to try to remember how to link a URL on the phone ;-)

That should have read "I use a Technoline BL-700 charger"!
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Re: Flash Gun Batteries-rechargeable Kit

Another vote for the BL-700 charger and Sanyo eneloop batteries.

The batteries work really well in my EX430II flash unit, with a fast re-cycle time that allows me to use flash on multi shot on my 550D (i.e. keep finger on shutter, 2 shots taken, flash works for both - most of the time!). My 550D only takes 3 shots a second, so not sure if this would work on faster FPS cameras.

All the best, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

A third vote for Eneloops, but stick to the 2000mAh ones as they are more reliable and last more charge/discharge cycles.

Ansmann make good chargers.
          Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Thank you all for replies, picking up a BL-700 charger in Canada well you can't and they won't ship from the UK. Batteries I can get here with Eneloop's own charger as a pack $40 any good ?
            Thanks Graham
            Last edited by Longshot; 24-08-2012, 01:48.
            Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

So long as it's an "intelligent" charger, where you can set charging current (keep it lowish!) and it'll detect a full-charge and switch to trickle-charge then it'll be great. Be wary of the cheap chargers, they're a false economy especially if you're an infrequent user of the batteries.

Comment

I just got one of those BL 700 chargers as a result of seeing this - thanks for the tip everyone !

I charge my batteries in sets, and always charge the sets for the same time period.
                Despite this the BL 700 showed me some batteries were not charged to full.

Trev

Comment

Most cheaper chargers charge cells in pairs, and so can over/undercharge where there's a slight mismatch between the two. Individual channel intelligent chargers are must better!

If you're so inclined, you can also test the cells and then match similar capacity cells together.

One thing to be wary of with the BL700 is it's inclined to refuse to charge completely discharged cells. You can usually get around this by giving them a couple of seconds in a standard charger, and then reinserting them into the BL700.

Comment

One thing to be wary of with the BL700 is it's inclined to refuse to charge completely discharged cells. You can usually get around this by giving them a couple of seconds in a standard charger, and then reinserting them into the BL700.
                    Thanks I haven't had the dreaded "Null" display yet, If I do I'll use your tip.

I paid £36 for the charger including a set of enloops from amazon.
                    Trev

Comment

I use a lot of Ni-MH batteries for both photo equipment and large scale radio control cars and find Maplins own brand at 2500 mAh good value and good performance.
                      Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Comment

If you're so inclined, you can also test the cells and then match similar capacity cells together.
                        What button do you push to see capacity ?

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                          I too recently bought the BL700, and the literature suggests completely drained batteries can be brought back to life, and I think there's a special mode you have to use. I'd have to read the manual again! Also, I'm not sure if there are older models without this feature, whereas newer models have it!?

If I have an update later, I'll post it! I haven't as yet completely drained a rechargeable battery, so I have no experience of trying to bring one back to life!

all the best, Mike.
                          flickr
                          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                            What button do you push to see capacity ?

Trev
                            I can't remember! I don't think it's one of the initially set options (Charge, discharge, rejuvinate, or test), I think it's one of the displays you cycle through whilst charging, the display will show mAh up to 2,000 and then Ah, though the "Test" cycle will probably do the same thing!

Comment

Working...
                            X