Simply Electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simply Electronics

Interesting article in today's money section of the Daily Mail. Be warned!

Even careful customers who stick to trusted names are falling foul of cunningly disguised scams. Steve Baker and his wife Theresa fell foul of a clever scam when they were buying a motorhome last December.
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Re: Simply Electronics

Ebay is another problem, whenever I search for anything I always tick the box UK only. Several times over the years companies who say they a based here in the UK are in fact in Hong Kong other other far eastern countries, and Ebay it seems do not check or care..
    My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
    © JH Foto
    The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Ebay does offer a safety net of sorts. I know the .com site says $3000, not sure about the UK site.
      Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Interesting article that should make people realise, if it looks to good to be true, yes it probably is. When I purchase on the internet, I try and stick to well know companies, and as added protection only pay with my credit card. As for ebay, I only ever purchase small items that I can afford to lose.

John

Comment

I personally have had no issues with Simply Electronics but this just shows that somethings are not quite a rosey as first thought.
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

As usual its buyer beware.

Whilst a bit difficult sometimes its always worth doing a bit of research on companies. As has been said if it seems too good then be careful.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

There is a company advertise on Ebay called Digi good their ads imply they are UK based, they are Hong Kong actually. But this is just one example of many...........
              My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
              © JH Foto
              The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Simply Electronics

I've used Simply Electronics too, and apart from the goods taking around 6 weeks to arrive I had no problem with them.

I've also ordered from DigiGood, who I thought traded from Brighton! I'm sure the lens arrived via Royal Mail, but maybe they have a distribution depot in Brighton to avoid duty?

There's invariably a risk in snapping up a bargain, whether it's avoiding taxes, second-hand, white-box, or a second/soiled product. Whether you elect to play safe or take a gamble is down to the individual.
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by Bodger View Post
                  There is a company advertise on Ebay called Digi good their ads imply they are UK based, they are Hong Kong actually. But this is just one example of many...........
                  But, I've bought many photography related items from Digigood and have always had very good service from them. I've even had things that I've had to return to them and have been sent a replacement straight away and had the postage refunded to my Paypal account. They do have a GB VAT number which means they have an office in this country AFAIK, plus I thought they were US based, but just because they are from Hong Kong or somewhere else doesn't mean they are rip off artists.

Panamoz.com is another Hong Kong based company that I've bought from, 2 bodies, 1 ringflash and about 5 lenses since january 2012, and they give fantastic prices and fantastic service too. I have even paid twice by bank transfer for items and received a 5% discount. I wouldn't hesitate ro recommend them to anyone. They pay all customs fees so the price you see + £9.99 postage is what you pay, no hidden charges.

Comment

Working...
                  X