Auto Exposure Bracketing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Exposure Bracketing ?

Your views please on when and where to use it.....?
    My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
    © JH Foto
    The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Re: Auto Exposure Bracketing ?

I use it when lighting is very hard to gauge or when I'm playing with say HDR. Don't use very often.

Comment

This could be a very long list.

I use it when I am trying to take a shot in the woods with some sky at the top. Typically to get a correct exposure in the woods the sky will be blown so a three shot bracket from say -1 to +1 will solve the problem when I combine the three shots using Photoshop.

If you want to try HDR

Over to others to add to these two points....

David
      David

Comment

Use it for landscapes if you dont have ND grad filters you can then either combine the best exposed parts using layers or as an HDR shot

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Only for HDR in my case, when I'm photographing a landscape I prefer to snap, check the histogram/image, and the adjust exposure and/or add exposure compensation rather than use auto-bracketing.
          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks guy's I did not think it would be as clear as that................
            © JH Foto
            The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

I use if i need a shot to be spot on, and know i only have the one chance,I'll set the exposure slightly under and over just to play safe.
              Normally practice- when doing individual player portraits or team photos

Paul
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Out of interest, the Magic Lantern firmware offers a wider bracketing range of ±5 stops (vs. the usual ±3 stops) over up to 9 images (vs. the usual 3)
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Whilst it is supported on the OP's 60D ... us with 7D's will have to wait whilst it's hacked mashed and ported.

Third Party Firmware is of academic interest ... but I'm not sure I would install it however risk free it might be. Then again ...

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                    Third Party Firmware is of academic interest ... but I'm not sure I would install it however risk free it might be. Then again ...
                    I tried it, but got into all sorts of trouble with the standard and ML bracketing getting confused. The hacked firmware really doesn't offer any killer-features which I consider worth the reduced usability with it installed

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, if its a shot of a lifetime use it, if not there seems to be no point...
                      © JH Foto

Comment

Just another tool available to you. There are probably a few features my camera has I've never had cause to use. But the trick is knowing its there when conditions dictate.

Comment

Although the 7D only supports 3 shots auto bracketing it doesn't stop you from adjusting the exposure yourself to add a few extra steps/shots. Used to have to do this with my previous cameras which didn't have the luxury of 'auto-bracketing'.

I then tend to use photomatix or CS5 to blend the shots or place the shots on different layers on CS5 and manually blend these together using gradient masks.

Great fun :)
                          Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                          EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Working...
                          X