Customer Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customer Service

Those who view my rambling photos will note the Google Earth image of my actual track. This is created by downloading the track (a GPX file) from my GPS and loading in Google Earth.

My five year old GPS has taken a battering - scratched screen, scratched body and the rubber 'bumper car' surround had just started to delaminate. So I had been looking for a replacement and then a few weeks ago I found what I was looking for (they are like hens teeth) and because I get 15% off at Cotswold I decided to buy one ... they also gave me another discount [why? but I didn't ask] as well which made it a very nice price indeed

I had intended cleaning up the old one and using some Loctite to stick the rubber back ... this SWMBO could carry when doing a different walk (to record her track) ... anyway on Friday I contacted Garmin to ask if Loctite was okay.

Conversation went:

Me: Can I use Loctite to glue the rubber back?
    Garmin: We don't recommend it. But if you send the unit back to us we'll fix it.
    Me: Thanks but I don't really want to spend money fixing it as I have a spare.
    Garmin: That's okay we'll do it FoC under warranty.
    Me: It's five years old and had a hard life.
    Garmin: No problem. Here's a code for the return.
    Me: Thanks.

I sent it back shortly after than conversation. The UPS van has just been with a refurbished (as new) replacement !!! With a new lanyard (for which they normal charge £4.99) as well !!!

That's what I call customer service !!
    Last edited by MX5; 05-09-2012, 17:02.

Re: Customer Service

Now thats what you call customer service, and a nice feeling when it happens.

John

Comment

It doesn't happen often but when it does it's always nice to tell the world as it's a great advert for Garmin!
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

MX5,

I've been looking for a GPS unit with a largish screen (3.5"-4") that displays OS maps, what are you now using?

Bob
        Bob Turner
        Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Bob - I prefer the smaller screen [1.4" x 1.7"] high sensitivity Garmin Etrex models. You can download OpenStreetMaps maps [UK Maps] and load them on the microSD card in the Garmin. These maps are fine for walking/rambling etc. Although I always carry real maps 1:25000 [OS and/or Harvey] with me. But the main selling point for me with the Etrex is the long battery life (24 hrs on 2 AA's). I know a few folk with the larger (and so bigger screen) but these have poorer battery life.
          The old GPS is an Etrex Vista HCx and the new an Etrex 30.

Comment

That's what I call customer service !!
            Superb news
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

So refreshing in this day and age of 'the quick buck', and 'we've had your money.. now sod off !'
              Well done Garmin ! I now know where I will go next time I am wanting a GPS !

Fred

Comment

Customer Service

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
                MX5,

I've been looking for a GPS unit with a largish screen (3.5"-4") that displays OS maps, what are you now using?

Bob
                I've used Viewranger on the iPhone (and previously on a Nokia N95 and the 5800) and love it! Of course using the gps knocks the battery for six, but the software is really usable on a decent sized touchscreen
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Its rare to get decent service, our service industries here in the UK could learn a lot from those in the USA.....
                  My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
                  © JH Foto
                  The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

A good and very rare result these days.
                    Just hope you have dropped an email or letter back to Garmin so that someone gets a nice pat on the back for good old fashioned customer service.

David
                    David

Comment

I can second the 'thumbs up' for Garmin, I have an inbuilt Kenwood sat nav in my car that uses Garmin maps, for some reason the maps became garbled, I rang Garmin to try and get help sorting it, they sent me replacement maps on a microSD card at no charge.

Garmin also provides a lifetime Garmin traffic alerts free of charge, Tom tom charge a monthly subscription for a similar service (I think)
                      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Its nice to hear of great customer service as normally people only post on forums Etc when things go wrong and they very rarely post about the good service they have had.

As has already been said it would be nice to email them and express your satisfaction with their service
                        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
                          Its nice to hear of great customer service as normally people only post on forums Etc when things go wrong and they very rarely post about the good service they have had.

As has already been said it would be nice to email them and express your satisfaction with their service
                          It was instilled in me early that:

a. A satisfied customer will tell 10 others.
                          b. A dissatisfied one will tell 30.
                          Bob Turner
                          Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
                            a. A satisfied customer will tell 10 others.
                            b. A dissatisfied one will tell 30.
                            I will give credit when its due and a negative response when its due. Working for a corporation where when the customer says jump you ask a) how high b) how long should in defy gravity and c) what style of jump.

Well an email was sent first thing this morning with a big thank-you.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                              I will give credit when its due and a negative response when its due. Working for a corporation where when the customer says jump you ask a) how high b) how long should in defy gravity and c) what style of jump.

Well an email was sent first thing this morning with a big thank-you.
                              Nice 1 MX5 been there done that got the tee shirt
                              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Working...
                              X