Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with ISO for nite pics!

Hi again!

Can someone help me with a ISO question!

The other nite i was on Penzance railway station with my EOS 1000d!
    It was after sunset up till 10pm, I had no tripod but found using 1600 ISO i could still take a fair photo on 1/20th and no shake!
    I take my 1000d with me to work as i am a truck driver and try to park up over nite with train in mind as i did Wednesday with no tripod! Using a tripod is no issue as i do most on 200 ISO!

My question is i am thinking of up grading but what will give me a better photo with less grain!
    I was thinking of a 60d

Thanks in advance

Christopher
    Attached Files
    see ya later!

please look at my photos if your passing!

www.webshots.com/user/kachris66

Re: Help with ISO for nite pics!

If these were taken at 1600 ISO you have done very well as they look pretty good to me, I don't have a 60D but believe that it would handle ISO better than your current model I am sure someone else who has the 60D will help it certainly has a good reputation

Comment

There's not a lot wrong with those in terms of noise, to be honest. A 60D will improve matters being newer and higher spec, but it doesn't look as if they need much help.
      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Bigger sensor will give you better noise control (less noise at higher ISO) eg EOS 5DMKI / MK II.

Paul
        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks guys!

When i put then through DPP i did you the Noise Reduction on the tool palette. I guess if i had a tripod with me i would have made the photo better!
          see ya later!

Comment

Knowing your equipment, getting your technique right, nailing the exposure, minimal post capture processing will all help to minimise noise. A 5D MKIII and a 1Dx must be amongst the best High ISO/Low noise cameras available at the moment, but not using them well could result in poorer performance than you are currently already achieving.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

I have looked on line at the new 5d mk3 but alas little out of my buget!!!
              How would I fair with a 60d for less noise on higher iso setting for low light/station lighting as in my photos at the start of this thread

Chris
              see ya later!

Comment

Well I use a 50d and recently I've used it at ISO 3200. The images are still quite noisy but way better than an 1100D at the same ISO. I find if you use adobe lightroom's noise reduction it makes the images look significantly better. It does a much better job than CS. It may be that all you need is Lightroom and you should be able to get much clearer images. I keep the luminance option below 25 and put the colour noise slider as high as it will go without effecting the image quality (usually all the way).

Comment

Originally posted by dkane95 View Post
                  Well I use a 50d and recently I've used it at ISO 3200. The images are still quite noisy but way better than an 1100D at the same ISO. I find if you use adobe lightroom's noise reduction it makes the images look significantly better. It does a much better job than CS. It may be that all you need is Lightroom and you should be able to get much clearer images. I keep the luminance option below 25 and put the colour noise slider as high as it will go without effecting the image quality (usually all the way).
                  Thanks for.your help!!

I have done some homework and a test drive or two, I have decided to go for the new 7d body the weekend!
                  Although 5dmk3 is better its out of my price range!!!!!
                  I just hope the 7d will give me what I hope to see on a photo!!!!!
                  see ya later!

Comment

Hi Trainspotter, if you fancy a new camera, and you have the funds great !
                    If your sole reason is less noisy pics I think you may be a bit under whelmed by the return on your investment.

Just my opinion.
                    Trev

Comment

Evening!

Its not just the noise im changin for, the best I can get is 3 frames per second and on a loco or train moving at over 60mph is no fast enough.
                      My 1000d is now 2 years old and things have come on a touch!!!!
                      What makes you say a 7d will not give me a better photo in low light??
                      Have a look at the class 57 at Penzance station at the top of the pageand tell what you think of it!
                      I thinks it a good photo to say its hand held with 1600iso but it not what
                      I want from a photo!!!!

What do you suggest I upgrade to??

Thanks on advance

Chris
                      see ya later!

Comment

Hi Chris - am with Trev I'm afraid, I admit to being hugely underwhelmed by the performance of the 7D at anything over ISO800 - but I'm a bit jaundiced as it was a camera I hated. I had 3 of them in all though I know many members here think it's brilliant so I put it down to my uselessness. problem of course when you cram a large number of pixels onto a small sensor you inevitably end up with more noise - question to ask yourself is how many pixels you actually need. If you store/view onscreen you'll only be able to display 72dpi anyway so measure your screen and do the math! Printing of course is a different beast and demands more resolution. Just to throw a spanner in the works have you considered going second-hand? If so for a wee bit more than the price of a 7D you could get a decent 1D Mk3 - IQ way better than the 7D and a faster drive at 10fps - just a thought!

Mark W

Comment

More bad news!!!!!
                          So what to do for the best, I know goin full frame will solve my frustration from low light situation without a tripod.
                          I some user will say its the best and others will its rubbish!!! £1000 is a lot to spend and find out if not much better than I can do!!!
                          Even on a grey day my 1000d is not that good!!!!!

Will a 5d mk2 be better???
                          see ya later!

Comment

Trainspotter just a mistake on my part I thought you had a 60D and were considering the 7D.

Sorry, I don't agree with any of Mark's comments about the 7D
                            Mark you've told us about your 3 x faulty 7Ds several times, are you on some kind of a mission ? LOL

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by trainspotter View Post
                              I have done some homework and a test drive or two, I have decided to go for the new 7d body the weekend!
                              Although 5dmk3 is better its out of my price range!!!!!
                              I just hope the 7d will give me what I hope to see on a photo!!!!!
                              The 7D is a great camera although it wouldn't be my first choice if looking to shoot in the dark or hoping to reduce grain?

Any of the 5D series would be at the top of my list being full frame & the newer the model the better the high ISO performance.

The MKII can be had for a reasonable price at the moment but it will probably be discontinued when the 6D is available but can 'only' do 3.9 fps which may not be as fast as you would like?

Having said all that there is nothing wrong with the pictures you are taking (I'm a gear whore so any excuse for more equipment) and you might not be impressed with the improvement for the outlay?

Just carrying a tripod and using a remote trigger might yield as much improvement as upgrading the body IMHO?

-=Glyn=-
                              Last edited by GlynH; 03-10-2012, 02:28.

Comment

Working...
                              X